The Full Tank (Part 1)

Do you think the the Isles organization (Lou) is trying to intentionally tank the season?

• No. He believes there is reason for optimism and even a playoff spot could happen.

Votes: 52 41.6%
  • No. He knows we are going to suck but will try to get as many points as possible, picks be damned.

Votes: 29 23.2%
  • No. He knows Trotz will not allow himself to be a part of something like that.

Votes: 18 14.4%
  • Yes. He's definitely tanking it, our only hope for the future is/are top 5 picks.

Votes: 17 13.6%
  • Yes. He's definitely tanking it, our only hope for the future is/are top 5 picks.

Votes: 9 7.2%

• Total voters

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I'm worried that Lou is trying to turn this franchise into a replica of his old New Jersey Devils who were without question the most boring team in the league to watch. No surprise he didn't jump at JHS and Bellows even though he talked about the importance of speed and youth. You can tell he wasn't the main architect in Toronto but now that he has the power it's going to be a slow, hard hitting, grinding team. Only problem is the refs are calling a closer game these days. Not to mention we don't have the hall of Fame goaltender who was necessary for all of New jersey's 2-1 or 3-2 wins.

I don't care how boring the team is, as long as they win. A boring cup is still a cup.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
IMO the "tank" question is really just a question about Leddy. I expect NYI to have talks with Eberle and especially Lee over the next few months, and try to figure out how and whether they fit into their long term plans. (My preference is NYI would work out a deal with Lee.) But the full tank won't be on unless NYI trade Leddy who has years left on his contract. That will be the indicator for me.

Still, IMO this year is already on somewhat of a tank trajectory because of the goaltending.

Quickdraw2828

Aug 2, 2011
I don't care how boring the team is, as long as they win. A boring cup is still a cup.

What are the chances of us winning a cup, really? Deep into playoffs? Maybe. But four or five teams will probably win the next ten cups. I'd bet against us, but then again I'd bet against pretty much any team, it's hard to be the last team standing. The talented Caps and Trotz damn near didn't do it. I'm at least a bit hopeful after our last draft, but I'd give at least 5-1 odds we don't win one of the next ten cups. So if I'm going to be watching 820 games during this time, I'd like a little excitement. Like the team that finally made it to the playoffs and barely lost to the Penguins.

Talain

Mar 7, 2007
Remember when the Seattle Mariners lost the best player in the game at the time to free agency and proceeded to suck the next season? Oh wait, they won 116 games that year. WITHOUT A-rod.

Reactions: bigtim1988

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
1)Trotz - This team during the Weight regime played a completely unstructured game. Just seeing them in the preseason says to me they will be tightening up on the defensive side of the puck and they will be much tougher to play against.
Good call putting that #1. IMO this is THE big question for this year: how big an impact will defensive structure have on the team? I suspect it will be big. I saw a shot cluster diagram for last year and the Isles gave up a TON of shots from high danger areas (ie., between the circles). They gave up both quantity and quality re: shots. Trotz' focus is on reducing the quality of shots against.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
What are the chances of us winning a cup, really? Deep into playoffs? Maybe. But four or five teams will probably win the next ten cups. I'd bet against us, but then again I'd bet against pretty much any team, it's hard to be the last team standing. The talented Caps and Trotz damn near didn't do it. I'm at least a bit hopeful after our last draft, but I'd give at least 5-1 odds we don't win one of the next ten cups. So if I'm going to be watching 820 games during this time, I'd like a little excitement. Like the team that finally made it to the playoffs and barely lost to the Penguins.

I don't expect this team to compete, but a Lou had a boring team that won the cup three times in 9 years and also went to another cup final during that stretch. If he's laying the foundation for us to be a boring team that goes to the cup and wins, I'm down.

Satan'sIsland81

Feb 9, 2007
I don't expect this team to compete, but a Lou had a boring team that won the cup three times in 9 years and also went to another cup final during that stretch. If he's laying the foundation for us to be a boring team that goes to the cup and wins, I'm down.
Yes, IF you win the cup, I can deal with a more boring style. But then you better win a cup. Anything less than a cup, and I still stand by I would rather watch a team that is exciting and entertaining and loses in the first round than a boring 90's era Devils type team that lets say loses in the second or third round.
And with all due respect to your point, I dont think those types of teams win in the NHL anymore. Which of the top teams in the league over the last 4 or 5 years play a strict all season long trapping style?

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Yes, IF you win the cup, I can deal with a more boring style. But then you better win a cup. Anything less than a cup, and I still stand by I would rather watch a team that is exciting and entertaining and loses in the first round than a boring 90's era Devils type team that lets say loses in the second or third round.
And with all due respect to your point, I dont think those types of teams win in the NHL anymore. Which of the top teams in the league over the last 4 or 5 years play a strict all season long trapping style?

The Kings and Bruins both did it and the last time was just five years ago. The Capitals were defense-oriented as well, though they weren't at the same level as the other two. I know the league is trending towards speed and pushing the pace, but I still think the trap is the way to go with a less talented roster. I'll take a boring trap team that loses in the third round over getting knocked out with a run and gun style in the first round. It's not even close to me. If I wanted to see high scoring games I'd watch basketball.

Macch

Mar 22, 2010
I would guess zero percent chance this happens. We either sign him during the year or say goodbye.

Why??

If we’re out of the playoffs and send him to a contender but we beef up during the off-season I’d happily welcome him back.

Reactions: IODCPiper

aronjudge11

Jul 2, 2017
I'm.all for a boring team. I was hoping that Lou would bring Jacques lemaire or whatever his name is for the coach. I don't see how Lou can lose two more players who's value today is probably two 1st round picks combined. I think Lee is worth a little more than a 1st and eberle a little less. I'd just rather see the trades now, and a full season of bellows and ho sang than wait till the deadline to move them. It's hard to waste time and money in a long season if the GM is going to pull the rug out from under the team.at the trade deadline. I think Lou wants to to what Cashman did three years ago and rebuild in a season or two. That was not easy to watch because they were just one winning streak.away from.getting a playoff spot but Cushman couldn't resist the prospects he could add. Of course he then .Lost a bunch of good prospects because you can only protect so many in baseball.

Shimmy Cocopop

Oct 26, 2017
I don't think we are tanking, but I also don't think they are 100pct concerned with winning the most games possible early on. I think they will go with guys that play their system (regardless of talent) and then when the kids are ready to fill in and play Trotz's way they will be inserted into the lineup.

Outside of losing JT, which was no intentional, I haven't seen them unloading talent. If we start seeing guys like Lee/Eberle getting traded for prospects/picks then we will know the tank is on.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
I can't get behind any of these answers. I would choose other and the explanation would be, "No. He is going to make moves to make a competitive hockey team and he's probably not going to worry about the standings, good or bad until after this season".

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
Lou believes in a winning culture and he believes that a team buying into and fully committing to a well designed defensive system is more important than individual talent. I can't see him ever trying to lose, and I think he's making a team he believes can win games.

Reactions: dood and CupHolders

Uncle Duke

Heads up, fellas!
May 14, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Lou believes in a winning culture and he believes that a team buying into and fully committing to a well designed defensive system is more important than individual talent. I can't see him ever trying to lose, and I think he's making a team he believes can win games.
I don't think you would find too many in-the-know hockey people who don't believe that LL's first year in Toronto wasn't a full tank job in order to try to get Matthews.

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
I don't think you would find too many in-the-know hockey people who don't believe that LL's first year in Toronto wasn't a full tank job in order to try to get Matthews.

Toronto was in total disarray when Lou took over, they had already unloaded Kessel and had who in goal, Bernier? Phaneuf's best years were already behind him too, call it what you want, but he got them back on track fast.

Reactions: dood

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
They had a better record than the previous year, and reduced their goals against.

After his first year, spent picking up castoffs and trading them for picks later in the season (sound familiar?), his team improved by 27 points.

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
He didn't have control in Toronto though, and all reports are that he does right now. I don't think you can compare the two.

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006
A little off topic but this is more concerning the state of this years team. It's annoying and honestly crappy that the spitten chiclets crew does this whole entire preview of the league but when they get to the Isles they go back to the usual "LOL Islanders." They did zero analysis of the team and just made jokes while they talk on end about other teams.

Listen, I get Ryan Whitney and Paul Bissonnette are more mentally challenged than anything but their other co-hosts could have done a better job.

ThreeLeftSkates

Nov 20, 2008
Why??

If we’re out of the playoffs and send him to a contender but we beef up during the off-season I’d happily welcome him back.
Why send him to a contender if you want to keep him?
IMHO, Anders is too unique to let go of so easily for a pick.

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015
Based off of our off season acquisitions and the signing of Sbisa, it’s clear that we’re tanking. You don’t need to be dead last to grab the 1st OA pick.

Reactions: A Pointed Stick

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad