The Franchise Needs a Whistleblower

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
What the hell did you expect fans to do? Coming off of being the absolute worst team in the league for 10 consecutive years, they ran into McDavid and a guy who wasn't MacT, Tambo or Lowe, who was also part of a championship franchise for years.

Excuse me for being excited and not giving a **** what a bunch of random forum users were saying.

End of the day those random forum users were right. We should have listened to the red flags they were showing us on Chiarelli but this franchise thought they knew everything.

It's also why the next GM from me doesn't get any automatic loyalty. You earn it with actual results, I'm not gifting you loyalty on the basis on "well you got hired".

You want loyalty? You start by making one good move. Now make another. And another. And another. And then we can talk.

Reactions: space321

GOilers88

Fer Da
Dec 24, 2016
End of the day those random forum users were right. We should have listened to the red flags they were showing us on Chiarelli but this franchise thought they knew everything.

It's also why the next GM from me doesn't get any automatic loyalty. You earn it with actual results, I'm not gifting you loyalty on the basis on "well you got hired".

You want loyalty? You start by making one good move. Now make another. And another. And another. And then we can talk.
You're right. The franchise thought they knew everything. These guys who all thought hiring PC and his terrible track record was going to be the right move, despite what Boston fans were saying. Wonder who was involved in making that decision? No way any of the OBC had any input, right?

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
The Athletic leaked that Chiarelli had a deal to trade the picks for Erik Gudbranson which is almost as stupid of a trade.

He was a moron, plain and simple.

Crazy the Panthers took Lawson Crouse over Barzal, I wonder if he would have been their guy at that pick.

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
Or they just fire them and bring in a fresh management team.
get rid of McTavish, Howson, Green, Scott, Sutter before the summer.
I forgot about Nicholson, and I'll throw Schwartz in there as well....there has to be a reason Edmonton has quickly become the #1 Goalie Graveyard in the NHL.

OilerFan4Life

Feb 27, 2004
Heartland of Hockey
Crazy the Panthers took Lawson Crouse over Barzal, I wonder if he would have been their guy at that pick.
Just 2 years ago, a lot of posters on this board were saying that Barzal was overrated - especially when he no-showed at the Memorial Cup.

The most troubling part of the Barzal discussion at that time was how Stauffer said the Oilers wouldn't have taken him anyway...they were eyeing Eriksson-Ek.

The management, from Bobby Nicks to the lowest level scout on this organization.....all need to get the f*** out.

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
Just 2 years ago, a lot of posters on this board were saying that Barzal was overrated - especially when he no-showed at the Memorial Cup.

The most troubling part of the Barzal discussion at that time was how Stauffer said the Oilers wouldn't have taken him anyway...they were eyeing Eriksson-Ek.

The management, from Bobby Nicks to the lowest level scout on this organization.....all need to get the **** out.

Yeah honestly what drives me nuts is we drafted Ethan Bear out of Seattle that same year so that means our scouts likely saw a lot of Barzal ... and they still liked a regressing Griffin Reinhart over him. Mind blowing.

Last edited:
Reactions: Luckylarry

OilerFan4Life

Feb 27, 2004
Heartland of Hockey
Yeah honestly what drives me nuts is we drafted Ethan Bear out of Seattle that same year so that means our scouts likely say a lot of Barzal ... and they still liked a regressing Griffin Reinhart over him. Mind blowing.
Oilers scout #1 - "He has too much skill and not enough grit or character"
Oilers scout #2 - "Who does he think he is anyway? Pavel Datstuk?"
Scout #1 - LOL
Scout #2 - LOL.

Reactions: A91

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
As ridiculous as most of his moves were, I think a lot of people would agree, and it's been made clear regardless that some of the most recent ones were by committee. Koski, Manning, Petro. It was clear PC was on thin ice before these moves were made, so I'd say it's safe to assume other guys were in the know.

Back to it. I'd love to see someone like PC, or even Hitch after he leaves this summer, step up in the media and talk about how much of a mess all of the management is in the organization. The results have been the same over the last 15 years despite staff changes at almost every level from players to coaches to GM's. So similar to the results of the decade of darkness that one can only assume the common theme is the OBC. Someone who was in a significant position of management needs to come out and absolutely **** all over these inept puds to the point that Katz is essentially forced to make some sort of public comments on it all. At least then we'll all know for sure whether there's ever a chance of things changing under his ownership, instead of always having these slivers of hope, only to have them torn away from you.

They’ve had “whistleblowers” in the form of former coaches and managers all say the same thing for nearly 15 years now. Hasn’t changed one iota.

If Chia or Hitch were to say anything it would be nothing but sour grapes at this point. In fact Chia would be wise to keep his mouth shut if he ever wants a job in hockey again other than putting the fake liquid cheese in the side pocket of the plastic nacho containers. Hitch? He can piss off.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
I wonder what would happen if Harrison took over. It's not like he has any 'real ties' with the OBC. For all we know, he might be like HF and just wanna can them all lol

Unless you mean McDavid as the owner :sarcasm:

I'd be fine with either option really. Harrison simply couldn't be worse than his dad has been as owner, it literally wouldn't be possible shy of him burning Rogers down on purpose, or trading the entire team for a bag of hockey pucks (which the OBC essentially did with the Hall trade).

Reactions: frag2

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Not as much as you probably wish they did. This GM and POHO is plenty stupid enough to do this mostly on his own stupid judgement. Bruins fans warned us multiple times in 2015 this is what would happen, Oiler fans wanted to be "proud" and not listen.

I very clearly remember all the Bruins fans warning us. The reality is that it wouldn't have mattered if we had hired prime-years Sather as the GM. The OBC still runs the show, and as long as they are around, nothing will ever change. The next GM hire literally doesn't matter a single iota, as long as the OBC is still around pulling the puppet strings in the background.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I very clearly remember all the Bruins fans warning us. The reality is that it wouldn't have mattered if we had hired prime-years Sather as the GM. The OBC still runs the show, and as long as they are around, nothing will ever change. The next GM hire literally doesn't matter a single iota, as long as the OBC is still around pulling the puppet strings in the background.

Everyone in the city of Edmonton could've told me to make that Reinhart trade and that Hall trade and I'd still say no if it was my ass on the line.

So sorry, I don't buy that line of reasoning either (boo hoo I made bad moves because someone told me to!).

space321

May 11, 2011
Everyone in the city of Edmonton could've told me to make that Reinhart trade and that Hall trade and I'd still say no if it was my ass on the line.

So sorry, I don't buy that line of reasoning either (boo hoo I made bad moves because someone told me to!).

I honestly don't understand why people are trying to absolve Chia of any responsibility for the state this team lol.

Brad Wesley

Feb 26, 2018
While a whistleblower would make all of us feel good for a few minutes, it would just further the perception of disfunction.

Weitz

Sep 23, 2014
Not sure why people want a whistle blower. No one around here would believe them anyway. Players constantly shit on this organization when they leave and it’s all brushed aside with “oh he was a bad player blah blah should have been better”

GOilers88

Fer Da
Dec 24, 2016
I honestly don't understand why people are trying to absolve Chia of any responsibility for the state this team lol.
I've never seen a single, sane, level headed person try to absolve Peter Chiarelli of anything.

Some people are just capable of seeing patterns and putting two and two together. Chiarelli was terrible and absolutely set this franchise back years. But there's also moves made under his watch that would make anyone capable of critical or logical thought think that maybe there are other factors at play, in the form of the OBC. It's really not far fetched at all, and I don't understand how anyone who has followed this franchise in any capacity can't connect all the dots to complete the big picture.

It's not all Chiarelli. It's very obvious.

Skar

Jul 2, 2016
This is also a guy who made numerous other atrocious trades for Boston in the past. Hes an idiot, but he does it on his own

Bobby Nicks on the other hand, is asleep at the wheel. He likely just signed whatever crossed his deck. Much like how he ran team Canada. "Huh? Kunitz over Giroux and Hall, are you sure about this? Ah whatever lets do it, well only win the gold by 4 goals now"
f***, and people use Hall not being an Olympian as an excuse to shit on the guy. FFS, Team Canada is also run by a bunch of has-beens. You can literally get a monkey to throw darts at a board and leave with an Olympic gold with the amount of hockey talent that Canada has.

Hockey Canada will fall behind the Americans, Fins, etc. Those countries are catching up fast.

Reactions: harpoon

space321

May 11, 2011
I've never seen a single, sane, level headed person try to absolve Peter Chiarelli of anything.

Some people are just capable of seeing patterns and putting two and two together. Chiarelli was terrible and absolutely set this franchise back years. But there's also moves made under his watch that would make anyone capable of critical or logical thought think that maybe there are other factors at play, in the form of the OBC. It's really not far fetched at all, and I don't understand how anyone who has followed this franchise in any capacity can't connect all the dots to complete the big picture.

It's very obviously all Chiarelli. His acquisitions have all been consistent with his brand of hard hitting style of hockey.

I'm not saying the OBC are saints who can take this team to the promiseland, but regarding the current iteration of the Oilers (post-McDavid draft), this failure is 100% on Chiarelli. He was not forced at gunpoint to sign Lucic, trade Hall, trade Eberle, etc. The damage was already done waaaaaaaay before these Manning/Petrovic trades.

As I recall, there were plenty of users who praised Chiarelli's moves when we made the playoffs. He not only didn't improve that team, but instead downgraded talent left and right which is why we're in this shit hole right now. None of that is on the OBC. Chiarelli's the GM and he calls the shots. Elliot Friedman said the OBC did not always agree with Chiarelli's moves but they let him do it anyways. If they had intervened we might not be looking at Jack Hughes this summer.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
****, and people use Hall not being an Olympian as an excuse to **** on the guy. FFS, Team Canada is also run by a bunch of has-beens. You can literally get a monkey to throw darts at a board and leave with an Olympic gold with the amount of hockey talent that Canada has.

Hockey Canada will fall behind the Americans, Fins, etc. Those countries are catching up fast.

100%. HC has just had embarrassment of riches the past 2 decades. They had the best players in the world at their disposal, but also had this outdated mindset that you need grinders and role players on the team. They never faced the repercussions because the bevy of all-stars could mask those mistakes. HC was just made up of men who thought they were the smartest guys in the room

Now other countries are catching up skill wise, the Americans very close, and the Fins coming up at an incredible pace

Reactions: Skar

Raoul Duke

Feb 21, 2010

Well, of course not. He had input like every GM in the league. He didn’t have to act on it.

Of course MacT and Howson had input. They’re in hockey positions, it was their jobs.

There’s no conspiracy here.

They, like our pro scouts, should be removed under a new regime. He got bad advice, I’m sure, it’s still on him. All of it.

Like Soundwave said, nobody should be able to convince a GM with a functioning brain to do the Reinhart trade.

Last edited:

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

There's no move Chiarelli made during his time here that makes me really go "wow!!!! No way Chiarelli would do that!!".

Even the Reinhart ... Griffin Reinhart is his kind of player and the leaked alternative package he had on the stove (Gudbranson) wasn't any better. It doesn't suprise me at all that he would be enamored with a Reinhart package because Reinhart is the exact type of player Chia likes -- big, slow, but has "character!".

The rest of the moves here are well in line with his philosophy of team building. Manning/Petrovic were panic moves at the very end to try and ride out the Klefbom and Russell injuries.

Reactions: space321

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->