The Franchise Needs a Whistleblower

McBigYak

Nov 4, 2015
Calgary Alberta
So we want people who are no longer with the organization and likely seeking work to rip the organization and its ineptitude. Not going to happen. Not to mention, there are probably contractual obligations you are forced to follow like people have said, non-disclosures and such.

It's definitely something all of us want, but it's essentially career suicide if you're looking for work. There is probably shit that goes on in every organization, and prospective employers don't really want you spilling the beans.

Only one I could see doing this is Hitchcock, considering he will likely run back to retirement as fast as he possibly can after inheriting this garbage roster.

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
I wonder what would happen if Harrison took over. It's not like he has any 'real ties' with the OBC. For all we know, he might be like HF and just wanna can them all lol

Unless you mean McDavid as the owner :sarcasm:
He would probably over ride the next GM's picks and dismiss scouting reports based on Youtube videos.

GOilers88

Upside Down Canadian Flag
Dec 24, 2016
The Athletic leaked that Chiarelli had a deal to trade the picks for Erik Gudbranson which is almost as stupid of a trade.

He was a moron, plain and simple.
So why go for Griffin Reinhart? A player he wasn't at all familiar with? Guddy was and still is clearly superior to Griff.

OilerFan4Life

Feb 27, 2004
Heartland of Hockey
I don't think anyone is stating Chiarelli wasn't a terrible GM but you have to be very naive to believe he had full autonomy.

If he had autonomy, no way he keeps MacT and Howson in management. What ties did he have to those clowns?

The man came here with a cup ring and inherited his predecessor (absolutely unheard of at any level, any sport) and the dude that ran Columbus into the ground.

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
So why go for Griffin Reinhart? A player he wasn't at all familiar with?
Huh?
Griff was in the Eastern conference, Chia came from thre Eastern conference.
you are trying to make me believe an NHL GM had no idea about a player he was trading for from the conference he came from?

Reactions: harpoon

OilerFan4Life

Feb 27, 2004
Heartland of Hockey
If we're going to rip on Chia for anything on his first couple of summers on the job, let's rip him for not taking the Flames 1st + Backlund + Wideman deal.

The fact that this organization didn't scout Pulju and then didn't hesitate for a second on why the Finnish GM had passed on the Finn, tells us this entire management team is a shit show.

Reactions: Oilhawks

GOilers88

Dec 24, 2016
Huh?
you are trying to make me believe an NHL GM had no idea about a player he was trading for from the conference he came from?
Even if he did, if he had a deal for Guddy, who is an established NHLer and has always been better than Griffin, why would he go for the guy previous management petitioned hard for since his draft year?

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I mean pushing the city into Expropriating the Oilers is probably something people need to get behind.

In Canada, expropriation is governed by federal or provincial statutes. Under these statutory regimes, public authorities have the right to acquire private property for public purposes, so long as the acquisition is approved by the appropriate government body. Once a property is taken, an owner is entitled to "be made whole" by compensation for: the market value of the expropriated property, injurious affection to the remainder of the property (if any), disturbance damages, business loss, and special difficulty relocating. Owners can advance claims for compensation above that initially provided by the expropriating authority by bringing a claim before the court or an administrative body appointed by the governing legislation.

Reactions: MikeGrier99

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
So why go for Griffin Reinhart? A player he wasn't at all familiar with? Guddy was and still is clearly superior to Griff.

Lower cap hit probably was the reasoning, the other reason is its possible Florida was asking for even more than just those picks.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Even if he did, if he had a deal for Guddy, who is an established NHLer and has always been better than Griffin, why would he go for the guy previous management petitioned hard for since his draft year?

I've seen posts from Canucks fans saying Gudbransson + Pouliot is the *worst* bottom pairing in the NHL.

This GM was never leading us anywhere but the toilet.

OilerFan4Life

Feb 27, 2004
Heartland of Hockey
Huh?
Bro, no question Chia was a terrible GM but you cannot honestly believe the OBC didn't influence the Reinhart trade.

Fact is, Chia didn't like WHL guys. Look at his draft history in Boston. Dude basically took 2 WHL guys in his entire tenure as Bruins GM.

There is absolutely no way you will convince me that Chia made the Reinhart trade on his own.

GOilers88

Dec 24, 2016
Lower cap hit probably was the reasoning, the other reason is its possible Florida was asking for even more than just those picks.
So just pure speculation on your part? No part of his work indicates he cares about cap space, but for this trade he did?

Reactions: OilerFan4Life

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
So just pure speculation on your part? No part of his work indicates he cares about cap space, but for this trade he did?

Most of the stuff here is speculation on your part too, how do you know the truth isn't simply Peter made a lot of dumb errors. We know from leaked sources that his other "lined up/almost trades" like Ceci and Gudbranson were awful too. He wanted Brandon Manning for over a year.

He was going to lead us into the toilet no matter what.

GOilers88

Dec 24, 2016
I've seen posts from Canucks fans saying Gudbransson + Pouliot is the *worst* bottom pairing in the NHL.

This GM was never leading us anywhere but the toilet.
You just keep skirting it and expecting me to believe the most OBC looking deal in his tenure was purely coincidental based on sheer stupidity. Agree to disagree.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
You just keep skirting it and expecting me to believe the most OBC looking deal in his tenure was purely coincidental based on sheer stupidity. Agree to disagree.

It just shows the franchise is dumb as shit and the GM in charge had just as dumb of an idea basically. Why they decided to do dumb thing #1 over dumb thing #3 doesn't really particularly fascinate me.

They were either dealing for Gudbranson, dealing for Reinhart, or taking Eriksson Ek and all three were stupid moves.

GOilers88

Dec 24, 2016
It just shows the franchise is dumb as **** and the GM in charge had just as dumb of an idea basically. Why they decided to do dumb thing #1 over dumb thing #3 doesn't really particularly fascinate me.

They were either dealing for Gudbranson, dealing for Reinhart, or taking Eriksson Ek and all three were stupid moves.
But he didn't go with the other stupid move. He went with the stupid OBC move. That's not just a random occurance, dude.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
But he didn't go with the other stupid move. He went with the stupid OBC move. That's not just a random occurance, dude.

And ... I don't really care, he had three dumb ideas, and he chose one of the three dumb ideas.

The difference is he was hired here and paid $3 MILLION A YEAR, while given both the POHO and GM positions to be the guy who at least brought one damn good idea to the table.

He couldn't even do that. This was always going to end like this in that case.

JariCurry

Sep 10, 2005
Everybody sat and watched as Chia destroyed the team. Not sure how anyone there can look themselves in the mirror. Nicholson should be fired. Only silver lining is year after next they could only have two questionable contracts on the books (koskinen, Lucic) if they dont f*** it up. Hopefully the Morons are patient this summer

GOilers88

Dec 24, 2016
And ... I don't really care, he had three dumb ideas, and he chose one of the three dumb ideas.

The difference is he was hired here and paid $3 MILLION A YEAR, while given both the POHO and GM positions to be the guy who at least brought one damn good idea to the table.

He couldn't even do that. This was always going to end like this in that case.
You truly don't think anyone from the OBC had any influence on any of PC's moves, or potential future moves?

Fascinating.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Everybody sat and watched as Chia destroyed the team. Not sure how anyone there can look themselves in the mirror. Nicholson should be fired. Only silver lining is year after next they could only have two questionable contracts on the books (koskinen, Lucic) if they dont **** it up. Hopefully the Morons are patient this summer

Part of the problem with this franchise and even fan base is they get waaaaaay too high off any taste of success.

Once 16-17 season happened even a lot of fans were still defending Chiarelli up until it became obvious half way through this season that he had lost the plot.

But until then he was going to be given his chance to dither and bungle because "well 16-17 was so magical, we just can't believe that it was a flash in the pan, the "real" Oilers will show up".

Reactions: Skar and JariCurry

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
You truly don't think anyone from the OBC had any influence on any of PC's moves, or potential future moves?

Fascinating.

Not as much as you probably wish they did. This GM and POHO is plenty stupid enough to do this mostly on his own stupid judgement. Bruins fans warned us multiple times in 2015 this is what would happen, Oiler fans wanted to be "proud" and not listen.

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
Everybody sat and watched as Chia destroyed the team. Not sure how anyone there can look themselves in the mirror. Nicholson should be fired. Only silver lining is year after next they could only have two questionable contracts on the books (koskinen, Lucic) if they dont **** it up. Hopefully the Morons are patient this summer
Or they just fire them and bring in a fresh management team.
get rid of McTavish, Howson, Green, Scott, Sutter before the summer.

GOilers88

Dec 24, 2016
Not as much as you probably wish they did. This GM and POHO is plenty stupid enough to do this mostly on his own stupid judgement. Bruins fans warned us multiple times in 2015 this is what would happen, Oiler fans wanted to be "proud" and not listen.
What the hell did you expect fans to do? Coming off of being the absolute worst team in the league for 10 consecutive years, they ran into McDavid and a guy who wasn't MacT, Tambo or Lowe, who was also part of a championship franchise for years.

Excuse me for being excited and not giving a shit what a bunch of random forum users were saying. I can take this route in the future though because with the OBC still employed, everyone knows it doesn't matter who the next GM is, they will fail. I don't need Boston fans to tell me to shit all over the new guy with a fresh face and be negative about change. With the OBC in tact, we all know it's a certainty.

OilerFan4Life

Feb 27, 2004
Heartland of Hockey
Remember how Howson was let go and then when fans saw him at the draft table, Stauffer had to go on the record and say Howson had been "contracted" for the draft...

and then when finally called out on the bullshit, they finally sent out a release saying Howson was working for the team again.

OBC is an absolute joke. I wouldn't be surprised if Bobby Nicks forces the next GM to keep Howson and MacT on.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad