Rumor: The Fourth Period: CBJ Taking calls on multiple players

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Yes. It was mind-boggling at the time. Only looks worse in hindsight.

I'm coining the phrase term trap for what happened there. Vegas wanted to add, but couldn't stomach giving up a premium asset for a player that may have walked at the end of the year. Tatar had another 3 seasons left on his deal. However, the value of term outside the deadline environment depends on the AAV. $5.3 mil for a skill wing having a rough year on the heels of back to back mid-40s production wasn't a good number. A bust of a playoff run and that same remaining term turned him into a cap dump that offseason.

Reactions: Ted Hoffman

Whileee

May 29, 2010
This won't be 2018 where Ryan Hartman and Tomas Tatar got a 1st. This won't be 2012 where Paul Gaustad and Kyle Quincey got a 1st. But given the lack of real quality out there, if someone who's fairly decent quality suddenly hits the market that person will be one of the top prizes out there if not the top prize, and teams will be bidding for them.
Let's see. I'm skeptical, and many reporters / insiders are now indicating that it's a buyer's market with depressed values for rentals.

Reactions: CBJWerenski8

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
Let's see. I'm skeptical, and many reporters / insiders are now indicating that it's a buyer's market with depressed values for rentals.
You really think with the relative amount of eh, I can live without him pieces out there, someone who's got a history of producing and playoff experience and playoff performance showing up as available would still have buyers saying eh, I can live without him? That's exactly what buyers want. They don't want maybes, guesses, I hope sos, why the hell nots.

There won't be many, if any, of those out there. The moment one does, you can bet your sweet ass teams will be flooding the seller's phone and e-mail with questions and offers - especially in a year where 9 teams have a point percentage of at least .650 and 13 have a point percentage of .600, and getting to play an "easy" 1st-round opponent could be meaningful to any Cup hopes you think you have.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
You really think with the relative amount of eh, I can live without him pieces out there, someone who's got a history of producing and playoff experience and playoff performance showing up as available would still have buyers saying eh, I can live without him? That's exactly what buyers want. They don't want maybes, guesses, I hope sos, why the hell nots.

There won't be many, if any, of those out there. The moment one does, you can bet your sweet ass teams will be flooding the seller's phone and e-mail with questions and offers - especially in a year where 9 teams have a point percentage of at least .650 and 13 have a point percentage of .600, and getting to play an "easy" 1st-round opponent could be meaningful to any Cup hopes you think you have.
Now subtract the teams without sufficient cap space, and the teams that aren't really all that excited about playoffs without playoff revenue, and the teams that actually realize they aren't that close.

Maybe you're right that Savard will generate enough bidding to get the usual TDL return, but I think that's unlikely. We'll soon find out.

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
Now subtract the teams without sufficient cap space, and the teams that aren't really all that excited about playoffs without playoff revenue, and the teams that actually realize they aren't that close.

Maybe you're right that Savard will generate enough bidding to get the usual TDL return, but I think that's unlikely. We'll soon find out.
1. You do realize salary/cap retention is a thing, right?
2. I know teams do realize there are revenues to be generated from a Cup run whether fans are in the stands or not. I would also not expect the stands to be completely empty for the entire playoffs.
3. I've never said that Savard "will generate enough bidding to get the usual TDL return." I did say that the depth of this year's trade pool is pretty thin and that teams aren't forking over high premiums for question marks, but the moment someone who's not a question mark - someone who's got a proven record of performing in the playoffs, perhaps even with a Cup to his name - shows up on the market, that player will generate a premium return. I've only said that a handful of times now, across a few threads.

Jan 21, 2018
Jones and Foligno in a package. What’s the ask?

Columbus isn't trading Jones.

Foligno + Savard (with retention) is much more realistic, though they could trade them separately to try and maximize the returns. I'm guessing individually neither player will return a 1st, maybe a 2nd + B prospect. So perhaps packaging them together is the only way they land a 1st + prospect.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad