Rumor: The Fourth Period: CBJ Taking calls on multiple players

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
1sts for impending UFAs just haven't happened in that type of volume. Going back 10 deadlines, the max number of naked picks (not conditional on playoff performance or a player re-signing, which is no longer allowed) moved in any given year is 3. Vermette, Sekera and the frankenstein package of Santorelli and Franson returned them in 2015. Excluding the early season trades of Vanek and Hall, the average was about 1.5 per over that period.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Only if a legit #1C - not future, not "maybe", not "he would be on your team"; an ACTUAL NHL #1C - is in the package. If folks try to "picks and prospects" us on Jones there will be blood spilled.

Any chance Foligno lands in Pittsburgh? At what type of price?

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Savard is no longer an effective top 4 D . Additionally It was Palms and Zajac for a 1st w 50 percent retention. Little fine print you seem to be ignoring . Wasn't worth a 1st before and this trade doesn't seem to strengthen this case imo . A second ish for either one seems more in the ballpark. However gms have overpaid in the past . Guess we'll see

I've watched every game of Savard's career. His "downfall" is an exaggeration. He's the same player. Sure, he's made a few more mistakes this year, but the team isnt very good so I'll chalk it up to that. Is he worth a late first? If you feel like you're one solid defenseman away, I would say yes.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
The Palmieri deal is basically the exact deal I think we will see Savard go for. Jackets retain 50% and get a late first or second and solid prospect with legit NHL upside. Seems right.

Twain

Jul 1, 2019
Jenner is done for the year.

Jenner is done for the year, if he stays in Columbus. Time estimate was six weeks, so he could return during the first round if a playoff team acquired him. Not that I expect him to be moved, because he has a year left and is highly valued by CBJ. However, theoretically a very cap strapped playoff team could be interested. No need to worry about fitting him under cap, because he is out for the regular season.

Reactions: Ted Hoffman

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I've watched every game of Savard's career. His "downfall" is an exaggeration. He's the same player. Sure, he's made a few more mistakes this year, but the team isnt very good so I'll chalk it up to that. Is he worth a late first? If you feel like you're one solid defenseman away, I would say yes.
Trade prices are determined by the market, not by a notion of "worth". Savard's trade cost will only be a 1st if there are at least two teams willing to pay a 1st. That seems unlikely in this market, but we'll soon see.

Reactions: MarkMessyay11

Whileee

May 29, 2010
The Palmieri deal is basically the exact deal I think we will see Savard go for. Jackets retain 50% and get a late first or second and solid prospect with legit NHL upside. Seems right.
Isles also got Zajac in that deal. Palmieri plus Zajac is a much richer deal than Savard alone. If anything, the Palmieri/Zajac deal indicated that prices are depressed. CBJ are likely a very motivated seller for Savard. I highly doubt there are multiple teams willing to spend a 1st to acquire him. But who knows? NHL GMs do weird things sometimes.

Reactions: Bevans

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Trade prices are determined by the market, not by a notion of "worth". Savard's trade cost will only be a 1st if there are at least two teams willing to pay a 1st. That seems unlikely in this market, but we'll soon see.

the market is pretty dry. I guess we’ll see

Bevans

Apr 15, 2016

As stated above you're discounting Zajac. Also, I don't think either party in this trade considers the prospects to be "solid with legit NHL upside". They look more like contracts included to balance the trade and perhaps help the farm team.

NJ had to package 2 players and eat 50% of their contracts just to get a late first.

Buyer's market.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
As stated above you're discounting Zajac. Also, I don't think either party in this trade considers the prospects to be "solid with legit NHL upside". They look more like contracts included to balance the trade and perhaps help the farm team.

NJ had to package 2 players and eat 50% of their contracts just to get a late first.

Buyer's market.

Yeah the Devils just got filler - I’m saying if you knock a late first down to a late second (we are taking in the 50-60 overall range here), the expectation would be to get a prospect of at least marginal worth to make up that 30 pick difference - which is a big deal optically.

To me that 3rd/4th was for Zajac. I think you can easily make the case Palms at 50% was essentially for a late 1st. That’s still a buyers market - I don’t disagree. But Palmieri as a goal scoring winger was by all accounts a hot commodity and that’s why he did end up getting that first. Savard is probably an even rarer deadline commodity as a veteran top 4 defenseman who can play 20+ minutes in all situations in a physically demanding playoff series.

Even in a buyers market, don’t be shocked to see Savard at 50% retained get a late first - that’s all I’m saying. (Or something like a 2nd+prospect or future conditional decent pick). The Jackets have guys like Nash who are also useful they can kick into deals like the Devils did with Zajac.

Last edited:

Whileee

May 29, 2010
the market is pretty dry. I guess we’ll see
Lots of pundits talking about how it's turning into a buyers' market, with some suggesting that sellers will be trying to get whatever they can close to the deadline. That might not apply to the top available players, but in general, the conditions just aren't conducive to the sorts of prices paid at previous deadlines. I expect most prices to be quite depressed compared to the norm.

Reactions: CBJWerenski8

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
Will Savard get that kind of return? I think he'll get closer to that than some want to believe.
Should he get that kind of return? IMO no, but there will always be a GM who believes we can change him, we can make him what he once was if we put him in our lineup.

Buyer's market.
As I noted elsewhere: Zajac is 35, not 25. He hasn't touched 20 goals or 50 points since 2010. Palmieri has better production, he's been a 30-25-55 guy per 82 games the last 5 years coming into this season, but he's not done much in the playoffs (8-7-15 in 35 games).

Even in a seller's market, without retention - and in this era where retention is allowed, no one is taking on a contract without pushing retention on the dealing club - they're not getting much more than what they got here.

Reactions: CBJWerenski8

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
Lots of pundits talking about how it's turning into a buyers' market, with some suggesting that sellers will be trying to get whatever they can close to the deadline. That might not apply to the top available players, but in general, the conditions just aren't conducive to the sorts of prices paid at previous deadlines. I expect most prices to be quite depressed compared to the norm.
This won't be 2018 where Ryan Hartman and Tomas Tatar got a 1st. This won't be 2012 where Paul Gaustad and Kyle Quincey got a 1st. But given the lack of real quality out there, if someone who's fairly decent quality suddenly hits the market that person will be one of the top prizes out there if not the top prize, and teams will be bidding for them.

CoachWithNoTeam

Jul 1, 2006
San Diego
This won't be 2018 where Ryan Hartman and Tomas Tatar got a 1st. This won't be 2012 where Paul Gaustad and Kyle Quincey got a 1st. But given the lack of real quality out there, if someone who's fairly decent quality suddenly hits the market that person will be one of the top prizes out there if not the top prize, and teams will be bidding for them.

Didn’t Tatar get 1st 2nd and 3rd?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad