Rumor: The Fourth Period: CBJ Taking calls on multiple players

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
Blue Jackets taking calls on multiple players — The Fourth Period

Important Quote:

"The Toronto Maple Leafs, New York Islanders and Colorado Avalanche are among the teams believed to be interested in Foligno, while the Boston Bruins are considered a team eyeing Merzlikins due to the uncertainty surrounding Tuukka Rask’s health and future with the organization.
Blue Jackets GM Jarmo Kekalainen is believed to be asking for a solid package for Savard, though it’s unclear if any team would be willing to part with a first-round pick as part of a deal for him.
The same can be said about Foligno, who may not generate a major return, but with Columbus falling down the standings lately – despite winning 4-2 Tuesday night over the Tampa Bay Lightning, they remain five points out of a playoff spot – the team seems to be willing to sell of its pending free agents."

The deadline finally heating up!

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
Isn't Foligno more of a player riding on reputation more than actual effectiveness at this point?

Toronto could get a good playoff run out of this guy, great third liner that is hard to score on who still might have enough skill for the top 6 in case of injury

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
Toronto could get a good playoff run out of this guy, great third liner that is hard to score on who still might have enough skill for the top 6 in case of injury
ideally, it would be nice to have someone doing the little things with AM/MM; while Hyman slides back to line 3 - creating a very difficult team to play against up and down the lineup.

Currently, our bottom 6 (though at times effective) could use some help from the trickle-down of picking up a top6 capable winger.

Reactions: hmc1987 and BHD

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
It's the might have that's the problem. I'd like to think the guy can still do it but at this point, isnt he just a good 3rd line role player?

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
It's the might have that's the problem. I'd like to think the guy can still do it but at this point, isnt he just a good 3rd line role player?

Yes one that can play solid D and no it's not a problem
if you have a third line it is the opposite

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
Could definitely see Foligno to the Isles.

I agree. While Foligno might end up playing on the "first line" he won't necessarily see 18 minutes per night. Pageau and Cizikas both tend to play more than their linemates, by getting slotted in as wings of other lines during a game. He can play a simple game, getting to the net, doing his job, and chip in the occasional goal. And decent record taking draws (especially for a wing) also makes him atractive to play with Barzal.

IMO the ideal trade deadline for NYI would be to grab Foligno, and another versatile forward as a 3rd/ line LW/spare center type. Someone like Filppula or Soderberg (if he's available).

Reactions: Fisticuffer

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
He's still physical, very good defensively, good forechecker, good for about 35pts a year. Doesn't seem much different than the Nick Foligno of 3yrs ago.
That's not what I've read but I admit I havent seen much of him this year. Not sure if it would matter at this point though with Torts sending that club into a death spiral.

Reactions: hmc1987

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Isn't Foligno more of a player riding on reputation more than actual effectiveness at this point?
Hes still physical, fine defensively and ok playmaking. His issues are a muffin shot and trying to hold onto the puck too much. Half of those issues come from being on a team without a lot lf skill and begging for someone to carry the puck. On a team like Toronto he would just be more free to play his game and likely stop trying to do too much

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
foligno is the type of player where i can see a bidding war happen tbh (not saying if its worth it or not). Teams love to trade for get players that can play physical and contribute offensively (even if the contribution is smallish).

Reactions: hmc1987

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Why can't it be both? Hes getting valued for his name value rather than current performance level imo . I wouldn't mind him as a depth add but high pics/prospects seem to be getting bandied about.

Again have you actually watched him or just looked at a spread sheet? because if all you have done is looked at a spread sheet you have no credibility

Reactions: Toe Pick

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
Could definitely see Foligno to the Isles.

It's seems like a fit in playing style, but I could see Foligno making a huge impact on a highly skilled, "younger" playoff team looking to take the next step and make a deep run, like a Toronto, Carolina or Edmonton.

The Isles seem like they have Foligno's kind of character and experience in spades. Not to mention the two-way game. I always thought a guy like Palmieri would fit the Isles perfectly, assuming NJD would play ball.

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
Again have you actually watched him or just looked at a spread sheet? because if all you have done is looked at a spread sheet you have no credibility

It's a msg board. Does me saying I've watched him make me more credible in actuality? Couldn't I just make it up either way ? But yes I've seen him play many times. This year, other years. Overrated at the juncture and I wouldn't pay the current asking if it's remotely accurate. But that's me . Maybe I'm wrong and he ends up being a key piece for someone. Just not a big fan of the acquisition at the reputed cost . I'd rather go after a guy like Oleksiak if available. Better player and fit, despite being a far less recognizable name.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dr Quincy and hn777

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad