The Fourth 2019-20 Utica Comets Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
I'll venture into it for you, then.

There were 7 LHD's and only 5 RHD's in camp. Travis is fairly adamant about defencemen not playing on their "off" side so Chatfield and Rafferty would've had to have been rather bad to get cut. That left Juolevi, Brisebois and Sautner in the real battle and the time off helped Olli who was reportedly moving much better and obviously has more innate potential than the other two.

Lind isn't there from a skating and physical standpoint. Bailey is much faster and can better withstand the physicality of NHL game action. But Lind, still three months shy of turning 22, is progressing and already has better hockey sense and puck distribution skills than Bailey does at age 25 with five pro seasons under his belt. In the last three scrimmages Lind was doing better than Bailey in that less physical environment.

Canucks are deep with NHLers at forward but thin at defence. Two or more blueline injuries could create a real problem.

Only meant my list of 6 were rolls of the dice. None are must keep over any of the others. Any one or two being there vs not being there wouldn't have cause me any shock either way. This had nothing to do with depth charts. Note I had a goalie, a forward, and a D-man in one group and 3 M-men in the other. I wasn't even comparing them to one another. I was simply voicing my opinion as to the idea I don't see any of them as serious pieces at this time and if the team is going to have to lean hard on them, it's not likely to fare well as a result.

Last edited:

UticaHockey

Feb 27, 2013
Utica, NY
Reactions: lindgren

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I can understand why the AHL wants to pin a start date up on the wall. At least it's something for fans to remain optimistic about.

But obviously a lot has to happen for the AHL to realistically start up by then. The biggest challenge of course is how many fans to allow into the building. But looking at the current situation with MLB, they can't seem to keep people safe even though the stadiums are empty, and a lot of masks are being worn. But just the act of packing up and traveling to a different city by the individual teams, seems to increase the risk of infection exponentially.

But of course every hockey league, amateur or professional, is facing the same issue. And in terms of scouting and player development, it figures to be a very fractured year. It makes you wonder how long minor league professional sports in baseball, hockey or the NBA G-League can survive if they can't find a way to survive without fans.

Reactions: UticaHockey

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
The TSN announcement is a bit optimistic. The actual AHL announcement adds the world "Anticipated" to the season start date. Personally I don't expect the season to start before January if at all. To get all 31 cites open for spectators at sporting events before a vaccine is available is being very hopeful and the AHL can't afford to play without spectators.

AHL moves 2020-21 start date to Dec. 4

For sure there are doubts. I'm highly skeptical that the NHL can pull off a business-as-usual season, never mind the AHL. Almost certainly the NHL is considering the possibility of having to do a bubble scenario for the entire upcoming season.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
I can't speak for the rest of the league, but if this upcoming season at some point looks like a no go, I can see an option for the Comets. The AHL is for development of prospects and some place to store NHL call-ups, correct? So, what option does Vancouver/Utica have?

If there were to be no actual AHL season, the Canucks could create a team the same as if there was a league. There are 4 hop, skip, and a jump AHL cities in NY. Let those teams work out in their respective cities and play a series of games throughout what would be the length of their regular season. The actual # of games could be worked out, but I'd zero in on 2 weekend games/week.

This would allow for the players to get plenty of development time at a high level and grow their games for the length of a season. Vancouver is responsible for the Comets salaries anyways. From there it's all about how the Canucks want to help develop their kids. Is it worth some extra bucks for bus rentals of 40 mins, 90 mins, and 2 hours and some upkeep on their AHL team's playing surface. There would be no need for overnight lodging as the teams just go back home after the games and you could play Friday/Sunday games if you are worried about quick turnarounds. I have to believe the Comets management still has som e $$$ left over from a season they didn't complete that could be worked into the financial end of running this new season as well.

Most upkeep of the facilities that the players utilize is done by the Comets' own personal staff. The building is being kept up by the Adirondack Bank Center employees even if it's a skeleton crew. Not a whole host of rink personnel would be required to keep things shipshape and the kids could get a good season of hockey under their belts. Instead of plunking a bunch of guys in the ECHL, simply allow for more players to be with each team and work them in and out of the lineups as the coaches see fit. That would cover the injury replacement needs. It's their building and if the coaches wanted to use split squad practices that would also be easy to do. You'd have all day to schedule the 2 sessions and the ice time would be more than any season ever provides, but AHL level competition would still occur every week.

Fans are not an option, but the point of this is to allow the players to play together, get the systems down, and develop some chemistry with one another. They don't miss a season, they just play a reconfigured one against a whole lot less teams with very limited travel
Hey, just tossing out some creative problem solving. Anybody got any other options?

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Uticas Comets fan base sends out its condolences to the family of Adam Comrie. Adam, 30, was killed on 8/7/2020 in a motorcycle accident while visiting his mother in Virginia.

Adam, a D-man, was signed to a PTO in December/2017 and after 10 games was signed to an AHL deal in January/2018. Like Dylan Blujus, Comrie had played for the now 1st year Comets head coach Trent Cull with the nearby Syracuse Crunch. Both were signed to PTOs in December/'17 and then AHL contracts in January/'18. Adam played 41 games for the Comets and collected 17 points on 7G/10A. He also played games on LW as well as LD. The team would see 58 players suit up for at least one game of the 2017-18 season.

Adam left for Europe the next season and played for Klagenfurter AC of the Austrian Hockey League. He played the last 2 seasons there.

May he RIP.

Reactions: Megaterio Llamas

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014

DAMN!!!!!!! I knew that too. There was some reason that I felt I had seen this guy before last year's Stanley run, but I couldn't put it together. I was also too unconcerned to go look it up so it's my bad. LOL

What a war it was. Round 1, best 3 of 5. Comets won it 3-2.

Game 1
Utica 3 Chicago 2 /2OT
Shinkaruk, Jensen, OT GWG Bobby Sanguinetti
Markstrom 30/32 Binnington 40/43

Game 2
Chicago 2 Utica 1
Shinkaruk
Markstrom 20/22 Binnington 30/31

Game 3
Utica 2 Chicago 1 /OT
Clendening, OT GWG Darren Archibald
Markstrom 26/27 Binnington 50/52

Game 4
Chicago 4 Utica 3 /OT
Conacher, Clendening, Sanguinetti
Markstrom 28/32 Binnington 35/38

Game 5
Utica 4 Chicago 2
DeFazio, Gaunce, Gaunce GWG, Baertschi (ENG)
Markstrom 17/19 Binnington 27/30

Goalie totals:
Markstrom 121/132 - 11 GA
Binnington 182/194 - 12 GA
Utica 13 goals and Chicago 11, but 12-11 with goalies in the net.

The Comets outshot the Wolves every game, but Binnington was stellar and nearly stold the show for the Wolves.

So far he's not looking the same as he did last season on the way to the Cup nor in 2015 vs Utica. Hopefully, Marky keeps it up.

Last edited:
Reactions: UticaHockey

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
H-m-m-m-m, Utica doesn't develop players so say a bunch of Vancouver posters. Also say Green can't coach.

That certainly can't apply to goaltenders. It appears Vancouver may have the best 2 keepers in the NHL and both received considerable development in Utica and now Mikey is following in their footsteps.

In spite of all the BS he causes by his off ice and mid season behaviors, Virtanen was rescued from disaster in Utica by Green. In spite of the criticism, Green seems to be pushing the right buttons to get Jake to a point where he is a contributor and still progressing to either be a useful Canuck or have decent trade value.

People have been wishing to see MacEwen or Bailey, and in some cases both, replace some of the punchless weight in the bottom 6. 2 more Utica projects.

I see Juolvi keep showing up in people's wishes to replace Fantenberg and Benn this playoff season and then one of either or even Stecher next season. He gets listed right along with Rafferty in next season's D-corps. When speaking of next season there are several who put Olli and Brogan in the top 6 and then list Brisebois as #7 with Chatfield as the next callup at #8. (Personally I don't like the looks of that D -corps much at all.)

As side note, Lind is mentioned frequently as the next forward to vie for a roster spot.

My opinions on all of these guys aside (as many of you are familiar with what I think of each of them) the development program in Utica is starting to graduate players into the SHOW. I stand strong with my opinion of the goalie development. The goalies every season since Utica has existed have been the team's strong points. It's not all on Ian Clark either. Rollie had a lot to do with them as well, particularly Marky.

From the looks of these names popping up on a regular basis, I'd say some must think the Utica development vs the scarcity of serious projects they've been provided has come along just fine.

Last edited:
Reactions: Catamarca Livin

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
Lockwood and Rathbone should be a couple new faces to look for next season. Lind and Gadjovich are returning. Jasek, Boucher, and Goldobin ditched for Czech/KHL. I guess Woo is another rookie, hopefully Utica is excited.

The Iron Goalie

Formally 'OEL for Norris'
Feb 8, 2012
Langley, BC
Lockwood and Rathbone should be a couple new faces to look for next season. Lind and Gadjovich are returning. Jasek, Boucher, and Goldobin ditched for Czech/KHL. I guess Woo is another rookie, hopefully Utica is excited.

I thought Jasek was just on loan, so he should be back whenever the AHL starts up.

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
mQI2kLA.jpg

Reactions: Burke's Evil Spirit

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
Is there any news at all about AHL plans? Will there be a season? A tournament in a bubble? Fans? Will players be loaned overseas en masse?

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Is there any news at all about AHL plans? Will there be a season? A tournament in a bubble? Fans? Will players be loaned overseas en masse?
I was wondering the same thing myself. The original AHL start date of Dec. 4th seems like a long way out, but once the calendar turns to Oct. 1st basically only two months away. It's hard to see how things will be a whole lot better by then.

I read somewhere that the AHL was considering allowing a certain number of fans into the building like the NFL has done, with the appropriate social distancing. But really hard to see how this is viable with rinks that don't seat more than 7,000 people.

As far as overseas loans, that might work for a few players who already hail from Europe. But there wouldn't be nearly enough room to accommodate a fraction of the prospects who'd normally play in the AHL. Besides, European teams are now well into their seasons.

Unfortunately I could see a scenario where NHL teams set up 'alternate training sites' like they did in MLB. Players would train, practice and maybe participate in inter-squad games. Not a very ideal solution, but may be the only option possible until there's a COVID breakthrough.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
has anyone seen a balance sheet for an ahl team to give an idea of the scale of their annual operating budgets? it would be interesting to see how much it might cost an nhl team to subsidize an ahl squad for a year for developmental purposes. i mean they will have a lot of costs to pay regardless of whether they operate, from arena rent to salaries.

i guess another way to do it would be to estimate how much it would cost in gate and concession revenues if you reduce attendance by 50%

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
Hope Ahl is a go. Other leagues are going on whose financials are as challenging. Of course salaries will need to be lowered, but two way prospect contracts and journeymen contracts are not high especially if prorated for shorter year. Maybe join some affiliated teams together. In Canada Ahl teams should qualify for wage subsidies. Not sure there are equivalent U.S. programs. but there should be a way to have season.

UticaHockey

Feb 27, 2013
Utica, NY
has anyone seen a balance sheet for an ahl team to give an idea of the scale of their annual operating budgets? it would be interesting to see how much it might cost an nhl team to subsidize an ahl squad for a year for developmental purposes. i mean they will have a lot of costs to pay regardless of whether they operate, from arena rent to salaries.

i guess another way to do it would be to estimate how much it would cost in gate and concession revenues if you reduce attendance by 50%

The business model of the AHL varies so much it is difficult to have any estimate on break even points.

I believe 12 of 31 AHL teams are independently owned. Those teams pay the NHL parent team an affiliate fee to place their AHL level players there.

The remaining AHL teams are owned directly by the NHL parent some of whom manage the entire AHL operation while others like Vancouver use a hybrid approach and team up with a local ownership group to operate the business side of the AHL team. The Comets pay Vancouver an affiliation fee to put their AHL team in Utica. I'm not sure what that fee is but it was reported in 2016 that Hartford pays the Rangers $1.4M per year which was the highest fee in the league.

So the Comets pay less than $1.4M but we don't know how much less. The annual operating budget has to cover the affiliation fee, office staff, game day staff, arena fees plus anything else I'm missing (I think team transportation is a Comets expense).

The revenue to cover all of the expenses comes from ticket sales, merchandise sales, concession sales and advertising. It's obvious that any independently owned or hybrid model can't operate this season with fan attendance restrictions or the NHL parent team financially subsidizing them. And this is just the financial side of the equation. Travel restrictions including the US and Canada border being closed is the other side of the equation.

I'm not optimistic that there will be an AHL season. An expanded roster with a local minor league camp similar to what the MLB is doing could be a possibility.

Rangers Will Keep AHL Affiliate In Hartford

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Richard Bachman has retired to take on a position as AHL goalie coach. Good for him, but it's not what you may assume. It's NOT with the Comets, but the MINNESOTA WILD. He will be coaching the Iowa Wild keepers.

He did a very good job mentoring Demko and DiPietro found his help to be of great worth and said so on several occasions. Too bad the Canucks didn't appreciate his value.

Last edited:

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Bachman was a consummate journeyman pro. Definitely served the Canucks well as the veteran goalie in Utica mentoring guys like Markstrom and Demko, and available for emergency injury callup to the Canucks. He also served as the 'sacrificial goalie' for the Vegas expansion draft. I wish him well in his new job with the Wild.

Maybe the Canucks will consider re-signing Louie Domingue to serve the same role with the Comets.

Reactions: Clinton Comets EHL

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Bachman was a consummate journeyman pro. Definitely served the Canucks well as the veteran goalie in Utica mentoring guys like Markstrom and Demko, and available for emergency injury callup to the Canucks. He also served as the 'sacrificial goalie' for the Vegas expansion draft. I wish him well in his new job with the Wild.

Maybe the Canucks will consider re-signing Louie Domingue to serve the same role with the Comets.

He was acquired to play that role in the first place, but injuries t0 the Canucks team saw him needed in Vancouver, the pandemic hit, and he never saw Utica. It would be very intelligent to re-sign him for the same reasons again. Who knows?

Reactions: Clinton Comets EHL

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
He was acquired to play that role in the first place, but injuries t0 the Canucks team saw him needed in Vancouver, the pandemic hit, and he never saw Utica. It would be very intelligent to re-sign him for the same reasons again. Who knows?

Domingue was never acquired to play that role, he was acquired because they had a long-term injury to Markstrom and he was the replacement.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
At the trade it was an AHL exchange, Domingue from Binghamton for Zane McIntyre in Utica.

Domingue was to back up Demko until Markstrom returned in what was estimated to be 3-4 weeks by Benning. Then he would become the Comets' tandem goalie with DiPietro. Bachman had been loaned out to Sweden and McIntyre was not a worthy backup.

So, yes, he was acquired to back up Markstrom, but would eventually become a Comet based upon the preliminary estimate of time before Markstrom's return.. The Comets were in a tough division playoff race and if they made it, his presence would have been extremely valuable to Mikey and the Comets in the final battle to win a playoff spot and then a playoff run.

He is absolutely a guy they should re-sign to serve the exact same roles in the upcoming season (should such seasons take place).

Reactions: tyhee and m9
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad