The Fourth 2019-20 Utica Comets Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

UticaHockey

Feb 27, 2013
Utica, NY
to be fair,

he was one of, if not THE, highest paid player in the AHL this season
Boucher was making good money at $450K in the AHL on a two way contract but most every team has a player or two in the $350K to $450K range. Heck the Toronto Marlies had seven players on one way contracts making between $675K and $775K. And these weren't the Sven Baertschi types that were thought to be NHL players sent down to the AHL. These are pretty much all depth guys to strengthen the AHL roster and potential NHL injury call ups.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I think the uncertainty around the future of AHL next season probably swayed his decision. I'd say the KHL is more of a sure thing to get up and running again.

Canucks probably did him and his family a favor, if they're willing to let me go the KHL for at least a season.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
It's official. Utica's #2 scorer and tied for 10th in the AHL, Nikolay Goldobin, has signed a 2- yr contract with CKSA Moscow. His Comets career ends with an impressive point total, 85 PTs in 84 GP.

He was more than just a hockey player in Utica. He was a member of the community, always with a friendly word, and that pleasant smile.

Good luck to you Niki. You will always be welcome in Utica. Consider it a home away from home.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Yes, you have to feel a pang of regret that things didn't work out for Goldy in Vancouver. He had a delightful personality and seemed to take to heart the things the coaching staff was trying to instill in him. Clearly, he desperately wanted to play in the NHL. And early on, when he has on a line with Pettersson, things were clicking,.

But once his scoring dried up at the NHL level, the defensive breakdowns and high-risk passes proved too much to keep him in the top-six. And he was never a guy you could play in your bottom six. And once his confidence started to wane, it was on to waivers twice with no takers.

A legitimate ppg guy at the minor league level, he could still thrive in the KHL. Then, who knows? After a couple of seasons focused on improving his defensive awareness and intensity, he might reappear in N.A. again.

He's a hard kid not to pull for.

Reactions: UticaHockey

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
Now it has been announced that, as rumoured, Reid Boucher has signed to play in KHL next season. Now all we need to see is Baertschi shipped away or bought out and Justin Bailey sign to play in Europe or elsewhere and the level of the Comets' wingers will be approaching the level of their their perennial "strength" :) at center.

NoRaise4Brackett

But Brackett!!!
Mar 16, 2011
Lurking the Boards
Now it has been announced that, as rumoured, Reid Boucher has signed to play in KHL next season. Now all we need to see is Baertschi shipped away or bought out and Justin Bailey sign to play in Europe or elsewhere and the level of the Comets' wingers will be approaching the level of their their perennial "strength" :) at center.
Kind of sounds like you're hoping the Comets are bad...

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014

No, he is just pointing out the reality of things as they are playing out.

Reid Boucher the best Comet over the past 3 seasons leading the Comets in both goals and points in all 3 of them, set the record for goals scored by a Comet in a season as well as points in 2018-19 and then smashed those records in 2019-20 in just 53 GP and a 3-time AHL All-Star and this past season named to the AHL's First All-Star Team has signed to play in the KHL.
#2 in AHL scoring in 53 GP, 3 points behind the leader, who played 63 Games.

Nikolay Goldobin has signed a 2-yr contract in the KHL. He finished #9 in AHL scoring in 51 GP.

If Justin Bailey reads Boucher's tea leaves, there is no reason why he would sit around waiting to see what happens to him. He did nothing with Vancouver in time there last season except skate fast. There is undoubtedly more $ to be made in Europe instead of sitting around waiting for the AHL to decide if they will even have a 2020-21 season. He finished as the AHL's #12 scorer in 53 GP.

Most Canucks' fans don't see Baertschi in the Vancouver organization next season. I expect to see him in Europe or if he is very lucky traded to an NHL franchise that plans to give him a spot on their roster. Either way that's not Utica. Sven finished 13th in AHL scoring in only 43 GP!

Brogan Rafferty will be given every opportunity to make the Canukc's roster due to their problems with their D-corp and the Canucks cap problems. He has earned the long look by finishing 14th in AHL scoring, #2 in D-men. He was an AHL All-star Classic selection. He was named to the first team AHL All-Rookie Team, and was named to the AHL 's 2nd All-Star Team. He recorded 45 points in 57 GP.

Camper was the only center to put up nearly a PPG with 41 in 48 GP. He wasn't even signed by Vancouver. He was on an AHL contract. Another guy who could be twiddling his thumbs if the AHL doesn't play in 2020-21 or plays a shortened season. He has been receiving offers from European teams and his agent and GM Johnson both have said he is seriously considering the offers.

The 1st 5 guys on this list guys finished 1-5 for the Comets in scoring. Lind, who benefited from playing with 1 or 2 of Boucher, Bailey, Camper all season as well as the power play where he picked up a lot of points by being near the net for rebounds from Rafferty and Boucher or taking tape to tape tap in passes from Camper, Goldobin, or Baertschi. That allowed him to finish 6th in team scoring with 44 PTs in 61 GP while Camper finished 7th in only 48 GP.

The next closest scorer was Jasek with 27. That was terrible considering the amount of time he spent centering the likes of Boucher, Bailey, MacEwen, Goldobin, and Baertschi in different combinations of 2.

Thus, of the Comets top 7 scorers only Lind appears certain to return and he will be without the security blankets that carried him all season. If he is the top Comet, I shudder to see how his production will fall. It was evident in the few games he didn't play with the team's top forwards. He didn't produce any offense to speak of.

So, Tyhee says the forward crop will compete with the centers for who produces less. The Centers they do have are Lukas Jasek/27 PTs, Carter Bancks/13 PTs (actually a wing), Wacey Hamilton/11PTs, Seamus Malone/5PTs (if he's even re-signed), and maybe rookie Marc Michaelis. That's a pathetic center group and the worst the Comets have ever iced at the start of any season.

The forward crop at the moment is not looking good either. It has been written that NHL teams will be very cheap with their AHL teams this season relying on ELC prospects. The Comets only have Lind, Gadjovich, Jasek, Lockwood, Michaelis and then 2 they should never place on the roster again in Palmu and Pope. CapFriendly lists Hoglander, but Benning has already agreed to send him back to Sweden if he doesn't make the roster. We here in Utica expected that from the beginning. We didn't need to hear it officially. We just watch the other teams skate their young European prospects while those of Vancouver stay at home.

It has been the case nearly every season here where the Vancouver prospects on ELCs are usually in small numbers.

Last edited:

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015

Nonsense. I've wanted the Comets to do well for years and have been regularly dismayed at how poorly their parent franchise has treated the farm team as far as roster building is concerned. Noting something in frustration is not equivalent to hoping it to be so.

Reactions: Bad Goalie

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Nonsense. I've wanted the Comets to do well for years and have been regularly dismayed at how poorly their parent franchise has treated the farm team as far as roster building is concerned. Noting something in frustration is not equivalent to hoping it to be so.

Amazing how some wish to jump to the negative at any post instead of seeing it for what it really is.

Your empathy and understanding of the frustration Utica fans endure when those with hockey knowledge can clearly see the shortsightedness of the Vancouver operation of its farm is heartening.

I enjoy our frequent interactions. keep 'em coming.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I get that some fans in Utica are lamenting the loss of high-scoring forwards like Boucher, Goldy and likely Baertschi. And undoubtedly these popular players will leave a big hole.

But with basically a flat salary cap for the coming season and possibly beyond, there's going to be a flood of UFA's and RFA's hitting the market. They can't all go to the KHL. So if the Canucks are committed to icing a competitive team in Utica, they'll have a lot of lineup options at their disposal.

I also think the Canucks are building a prospect pool that has more depth than it's ever had. Guys like Lockwood, Michaelis and Rathbone from the college ranks; prospects like Woo and Focht from the WHL; and young guys like DiPietro, Lind and Juolevi who are maturing.

I also think that there's a good chance a veteran or two on an NHL salary will end up in Utica as they make way for kids like Hoglander, MacEwen and eventually Podkolzin.

So I'm still bullish on the 2020-21 edition of the Comets.

UticaHockey

Feb 27, 2013
Utica, NY
The season ended, contracts are up, some players are gone. There hasn't even been an opportunity to sign players yet, and I'm the one jumping on the negative? ok
I heard that the NHLPA has agreed to extend current contracts until October 31 so the free agency period can't start before November. There will be players like Boucher who will be released from their contract so they can sign in Europe. 2020-21 will not be like any other year in hockey.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
I get that some fans in Utica are lamenting the loss of high-scoring forwards like Boucher, Goldy and likely Baertschi. And undoubtedly these popular players will leave a big hole.

But with basically a flat salary cap for the coming season and possibly beyond, there's going to be a flood of UFA's and RFA's hitting the market. They can't all go to the KHL. So if the Canucks are committed to icing a competitive team in Utica, they'll have a lot of lineup options at their disposal.

I also think the Canucks are building a prospect pool that has more depth than it's ever had. Guys like Lockwood, Michaelis and Rathbone from the college ranks; prospects like Woo and Focht from the WHL; and young guys like DiPietro, Lind and Juolevi who are maturing.

I also think that there's a good chance a veteran or two on an NHL salary will end up in Utica as they make way for kids like Hoglander, MacEwen and eventually Podkolzin.

So I'm still bullish on the 2020-21 edition of the Comets.

I have no doubt that Vancouver will supply the Comets roster filler. The talent level remains to be determined. I believe we will see a little movement by the NHL to extend rosters as the AHL will face the bigger question as to even having a 2020-21 season. The AHL is fan driven and if the arenas remain fan free, it can't function.

As to the large number of UFAs and RFAs, that happens every single season. This isn't going to be some kind of anomaly. My bet is that the high level players like Boucher, who recognize this AHL dilemma and don't have concrete information as to their future with NHL connections, there will be an exodus of the AHL's elite veteran talent. The announcement by teams such as Buffalo that they are going to concentrate on creating a roster heavy with ECL signings is another reason we will see more taking the Boucher option. As to the your KHL comment you are correct, but you ignore the fact that it's not the only league in Europe interested in signing North American talent.

As to the young Canucks ELCs you mention, let's look at that.

Vasili Podkolzin is a year away before he can even leave Russia and the Canucks fan base seems to be looking at him as the 2nd coming, who they have immediately penciled into the lineup. - Scratch 1.

Nils Hoglander will be playing in Sweden and he will be given said option every season until he makes the Vancouver roster. His numbers are far from promising that thus far. He is very young. Couldn't even turn pro this season if he was a Canadian Jr. - Scratch 2.

If Zack MacEwen expects to be a regular on an NHL roster, he better make it this year or he is looking at becoming a bubble player, period. Those guys only hold on so long, like Boucher, and they are done with any NHL expectations within that organization at that point. The parent club quits on them and moves on to younger or outside talent. He's nowhere near being a Boucher. Baertschi and Goldobin have already faced that issue and they had much better cracks at the show with a lot more talent than MacEwen has ever shown at either level. Baertschi is hanging on the last thread of his chance only because he is still under contract and as of now Benning hasn't found another way to get him out.
- Scratch 3.

Jack Rathbone is not even signed. Until he does he's not in the conversation. Again, like Podkolzin, he appears to be a Canuck based upon the fan base assessments. He has spoken openly about starting in Utica so he has a more realistic view on things. I will wait and see how this works out. - ?

Jett Woo, Carson Focht, Will Lockwood, Marc Michaelis will be Comets as they have no other options. Woo, Lockwood, and Focht are draft selections so they will get priority over free agent ELCs for ice time.

Jett Woo is following the trend for Canadian Jrs. and turning pro at age 20. He's had a decent career in Jrs. and looks to be a decent 2nd round selection. There have been some questions about him the past 2 seasons, but he still looks to have solid potential.

Focht was a 5th round selection. He was under a PPG player his last season. Those numbers would be great at the pro level, but not promising for a Jr. Lind was 1.7 PPG his last Jr season and he struggled mightily his first season in Utica, 17PTs/51GP. He was a 2nd round pick not a 5th. He was much improved his 2nd season, #6 in team scoring with 44PTs in 61GP. Those 2nd year numbers were aided in no small part by playing on lines with 2 of the following in varying combinations - Bailey, Goldobin, Baertschi, Boucher, Camper. We'll see how well he does without those stellar linemates. That will be a true indication of how far he has really come. He should become one of the top players aiding the development of his linemates as those now gone did for him. He is by no means a lock to be an NHL player.
Focht is in a category of other late round picks who have not done much for the Comets. I wish him the same kind of luck I have for every kid has been assigned here, but I'm not overly confident as to his chances. We have seen a plethora of much higher picks bomb out. Gadjovich, 2nd round, is following that track at this moment.

Lockwood, a 3rd round selection, is 22 and played 4 yrs of Division I NCAA hockey. That's not the norm for successful US college players. Most come out sooner, but he was injured and missed a large portion of season 2 leading to his decision to try and improve upon his 31 PTs/36GP Jr. yr. It didn't work out so well as Michigan had a down season with a large turnover and his numbers actually went down to 23PTS/33GP. He has decent size at 5'11' and 172 lbs, but the rock'em sock 'em style he has employed in the past led to his injury and it's not a good idea to play that way in the AHL with his body constructio and past injury. Again, we'll see. Rafferty was the only guy assigned to the Comets coming out of college who has ever sparkled. Keeping an open mind.

Marc Michaelis played 4 seasons at NCAA Division I Minnesota State U (Mankato). He put up better than a PPG over his 4yr career. He is from Germany and measures up to Lockwood in body size at 5'11" and 187 lbs. He was acquired as a free agent. He can play LW or Center. Based upon the Comets current roster of centers that may be his assignment. The last ones, Seamus Malone, Tanner MacMaster, and Griffen Molino did not find a lot of success there. MacMaster finally transitioned successfully to center in 2019-20, his 3rd pro season, with the Toronto Marlies, after having been traded there during the 2018-19 season for D-man Stefan LeBlanc. Keeping an open mind.

Teves and Eliot were also free agent ex-college players added to the roster last season and neither made much of an impression. Thus, other than Rafferty none of the college guys have done much of anything in the way of looking like potential good AHL regulars let alone NHL players.

DiPietro, and I believe Lind and Juolevi, will be Comets.
Mikey showed great promise and will be #1 this season, but the Comets will need a solid vet to back him up and share the load. Hopefully, that will be Louis Domingue.
Juolevi has yet to prove himself as a soild AHL defender. If he sticks with Vancouver, it won't be pretty.
Lind has to prove he can succeed in the AHL and put up top numbers without riding the coattails of dominant NHL forwards like he did last season. Other than maybe Bailey, all of those dominant guys will be gone.

Like many other AHL teams the Comets will be rebuilt again with a whole bunch of new guys. Their success will be based upon 2 things just like always. Number 1, their own personal innate talent and #2 the supporting cast acquired to help them succeed. That cast was there last year and in 2014-15. Not so much in the other seasons. The failure of prospects to develop here has been based on 2 major factors. Number 1, the poor quality of the secondary pieces most years and #2 the actual ability of the players themselves. If they don't have the talent, no support cast can change that. If you run down the list of prospects sent here and follow their careers from here you won't find huge success stories after they landed elsewhere.

And to those who insist that players don't want to play in Utica let me give you the lowdown from yet another Comet as he is leaving town. It is so consistent with the comments of those who have come and gone before them and the comments we get from new arrivals having been told what to expect here from those aforementioned players as well as those who have played here against the Comets. Players acquired to play here after having been a past opponent express how happy they are to be here, as an opponent they very impressed by the fan base and its treatment of the team and the amazing hockey environment on game night.

Reid Boucher,
"Obviously, it is the best 3 years of hockey I've played. All the records and stuff are nice, but the fan base and the way you get treated around the city it is just an awesome experience."

"I have absolutely zero bad things to say about the city of Utica, the people there and the fans and all my teammates throughout the years. It was an A-plus experience for me. It was definitely one of the best spots I've been for sure, if not the best.

"My family loves Utica. We've pretty much raised our first child there so far."

Boucher gained fan favorite status in Utica as his name was chanted during many games this season.
"It's awesome. There's not really a better feeling than when you get that kind of response."

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
As I understand it, Boucher has signed just a one-year deal in the KHL. And I believe the only reason he did, was because he wasn't sure 'when' or 'if' the AHL would start up again. And he's an RFA in the off-season.

So it's not unreasonable to assume that if life ever returns to some semblance of normalcy, he could return. It might be with the Canucks or maybe Seattle, in the expansion draft.

Wish him well, no matter what path he chooses.....A consummate professional who did everything the Canucks/Comets asked of him.

Reactions: Clinton Comets EHL

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Just saw the Comets Copper jersey worn and signed by Boucher on AHL Authentic jersey auction. the Auction ends tonight and the last bid for the jersey was $2,735. In contrast the Save The Day jersey worn and signed by Carter Bancks is also up for sale. The last bid was $279.99. Oh how production moves the price tag.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Why has this thread been moved from it's regular spot in the Sticky Threads? I had to hunt for it deeper in the Normal Threads because it wasn't even present in the current one.

Reactions: Clinton Comets EHL

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
What happens to players like Bailey, Lockwood, Michaelis, Lind, Juolevi, Woo and some of the other Canuck prospects has to be a major headache for the Canucks braintrust.

There's no way the AHL can start up playing in empty arenas, and the way things are going with COVID in the U.S., you'd be a dyed in the wool optimist to think that the season could start even by January 1st, 2021.

The Canucks may try to keep some players around as a 'taxi squad' at Rogers Arena, but they're so tight to the cap, even that may not be possible. If a couple of guys end up on LTIR, or they can't sign UFA's like Tofoli and Tanev, that might open a few other spots.

But it could be shaping up as 'lost year' for a lot of Canuck prospects, who can ill-afford the downtime in terms of their development.

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
Why has this thread been moved from it's regular spot in the Sticky Threads? I had to hunt for it deeper in the Normal Threads because it wasn't even present in the current one.

I also looked down the list for it.

My guess is that with the expectation that there will be no AHL season in 2020-21, the mods are not expecting it to be an important thread over the next 12 months. If indeed that expectation comes to pass, there's going to be no building the AHL team (same as most years, except this year it would make sense) and no reports on the Comets' players and coaches.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
I also looked down the list for it.

My guess is that with the expectation that there will be no AHL season in 2020-21, the mods are not expecting it to be an important thread over the next 12 months. If indeed that expectation comes to pass, there's going to be no building the AHL team (same as most years, except this year it would make sense) and no reports on the Comets' players and coaches.

Yeah. Guess them's the breaks. The only thing one can do is keep posting something every day to keep the thread in sight. I can do that by simply reporting how ex-Comets are doing with the Canucks or elsewhere, like Boucher in Moscow.

On another note. Are the Canadian Jrs. planning to be on the ice or hasn't that been decided yet.

Is an American college player able to leave his college team and play Canadian Jrs.?

Can't Benning and company get these AHL guys on loan to European teams and then bring them back if something breaks over here?

Read some folks posting that Aquaman is clutching his purse strings and might not want to pay his AHL guys if they are allowed a black aces group for use if enough injuries occur to make it necessary to bring them on board. What's the difference if the AHL DOES play? He'd have to dole out the bucks anyways.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Zack MacEwan seems to be putting himself in the running to be on the roster for the play-ins. Skating is said to have been his #1 improvement.

Rafferty isn't shining by all reports. Chatfield is actually playing ahead of him.

Olli looks like Olli. Making nice stretch passes when he has the time to look up and make a choice. Committing gaffes defensively.

Some are liking Lind. He won't make the roster but is giving those posters hope for the future.

I haven't seen any of the Canucks training sessions so this is all 2nd hand info.

There. That's a way to keep the thread in sight and give the Utica fans who don't spend a lot of time on HF a quick update.

Reactions: m9 and tradervik

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
i cannot see a way for ahl squads to play a regular schedule for empty seats this year. i imagine there is just not enough streaming revenue to make it worth while with all the travel and facility costs. the chances of games before fans seem like zero.

otoh, teams must be sweating the idea of cutting their prospects loose for a year and damaging their development and losing some players to overseas or other life options.

so i wonder if teams are evaluating running their ahl squads in their facilities as a development program like the european soccer clubs do. schedule a few friendlies and some streamed tournaments, and focus on skills development and fitness.

that will be very bad news for career ahl guys not under contract if it happens, which is why i think reid boucher made a smart move

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
i cannot see a way for ahl squads to play a regular schedule for empty seats this year. i imagine there is just not enough streaming revenue to make it worth while with all the travel and facility costs. the chances of games before fans seem like zero.

otoh, teams must be sweating the idea of cutting their prospects loose for a year and damaging their development and losing some players to overseas or other life options.

so i wonder if teams are evaluating running their ahl squads in their facilities as a development program like the european soccer clubs do. schedule a few friendlies and some streamed tournaments, and focus on skills development and fitness.

that will be very bad news for career ahl guys not under contract if it happens, which is why i think reid boucher made a smart move

If the AHL doesn't operate the top AHLers will look to the KHL while the second-level AHL vets will try for other Euro elite leagues. NHL teams would carry additional non-active players, similar to this year's playoff, and try to work out loans with Euro leagues for other NHL-contracted players. This is dependent, of course, on whether or not the Euro leagues operate.

The list of players with Canuck contracts for next season who didn't play in the NHL this season is Lind, Gadjovich, Jasek, Palmu, Michaelis, Lockwood, Hoglander, Rathbone, Woo, Juolevi, Rafferty, Teves, Eliot, Silovs. DiPietro made a single appearance. Sautner, Brisebois, Chatfield and Bailey are at the Canucks' playoff camp but aren't under contract for next season and Sautner is UFA anyway and very unlikely to remain.

If the CHL operates, Woo and Silovs would be eligible to return (Woo as an over-ager). Palmu will stay in Europe, there's mutually zero interest.

Last edited:

UticaHockey

Feb 27, 2013
Utica, NY
I don't know what the 2020-21 AHL season will look like but the Comets just started up the monthly season tickets payment plan again. They had stopped charging my account back in April.

Reactions: lindgren

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
So Lind, Brisebois, and Di Pietro get cut while Chatfield, Juolevi, and Rafferty make the cut.

I'm not going to venture into that one any way, no how. I'll only say that aside from Mikey, who is outweighed by years of experience, the other 5 were all dice rolls to begin with.

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
So Lind, Brisebois, and Di Pietro get cut while Chatfield, Juolevi, and Rafferty make the cut.

I'm not going to venture into that one any way, no how. I'll only say that aside from Mikey, who is outweighed by years of experience, the other 5 were all dice rolls to begin with.

I'll venture into it for you, then.

There were 7 LHD's and only 5 RHD's in camp. Travis is fairly adamant about defencemen not playing on their "off" side so Chatfield and Rafferty would've had to have been rather bad to get cut. That left Juolevi, Brisebois and Sautner in the real battle and the time off helped Olli who was reportedly moving much better and obviously has more innate potential than the other two.

Lind isn't there from a skating and physical standpoint. Bailey is much faster and can better withstand the physicality of NHL game action. But Lind, still three months shy of turning 22, is progressing and already has better hockey sense and puck distribution skills than Bailey does at age 25 with five pro seasons under his belt. In the last three scrimmages Lind was doing better than Bailey in that less physical environment.

Canucks are deep with NHLers at forward but thin at defence. Two or more blueline injuries could create a real problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->