The Fourth 2019-20 Utica Comets Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Beginning to get very concerned about the health and safety of all our friends in Utica and the Mohawk Valley.

New York is apparently the U.S. epicenter of the COVID-19 outbreak. Governor Andrew Cuomo seems to be one of the few voices of sanity and reason, but he can't do it alone.

I realize a significant number of new cases are coming out of New York City....but all the citizens of the State are at risk.

Stay safe down there Uticans.....we're thinking of you!

Clinton Comets EHL

Feb 18, 2014
To be honest, the empty seats were more likely due to the Corona virus warning to avoid large crowds. The Comets had won 6 of their last 7 coming into last night's game, including a 6-p0int sweep this past weekend. That would have made last night's game a big ticket event under normal circumstances. I know those of us in the critical age group are being a lot more prudent about preventive actions. I watched the last 3 home games on AHL TV.

We won't have to worry about any of this for some time now that the AHL and NHL have joined the NBA and MLB in suspending their seasons. March Madness cancelled. Trump be damned! The country is doing the right things while he keeps bumbling about and his great economy is crumbling at his feet largely due to his ineptitude by trying to downplay the virus instead of preparing for its inevitable arrival in this country.
Could very well have been.

I stayed home myself, talked to the few season ticket neighbors who did go, whole rows empty.

At the end of the day, I don't think any of the games, or lack thereof, matter any more. I believe we have seen the last of 2019-2020 hockey.

UticaHockey

Feb 27, 2013
Utica, NY
I agree and think the 2019-20 season is over. The players have all gone back home which includes Canada and Europe from all over the league. With travel restrictions I don't see how the AHL can set a date where the season is going to start again and get the players back on their individual teams. New York City is now ground zero for the coronavirus in North America and it is going to get much worse before it gets better. Other cities are a couple weeks behind NYC and will be in the headlines next. There is no way that a minor league that has teams from coast to coast is going to become operational again this season.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
The NHL and AHL are in very similar positions.

NY CITY is ground zero and NY State is #1 in the nation.
#2 New Jersey
#3 California
#4 Michigan
#5 Washington
#6 Illinois
#7 Massachusetts
#8 Florida
#9 Louisiana
#10 Pennsylvania

The next 3 states, Georgia, Texas, and Colorado have over 1,000 cases and Tennessee and Connecticut are right on their heels.

- The Rangers and the Islanders play right in NY city.
- Buffalo is also in NY. That's 3 NHL teams.
- The Devils are in New Jersey, state #2, which is visible from NY city.
- The Sharks, Ducks, and Kings are in state #3
- The Red Wings play in state #4.
- The Black Hawks are in #6.
- The Bruins are up the road in Massachusetts, state #7.
- The Panthers and Lightning are in #8. Florida is recently climbing the Virus ladder fast.
- Pennsylvania, #10 shares a large border with NY State and Philly is 1 1/2 hours from NY.
- The Penguins are also in Pennsey.
-Texas (the Stars), Colorado (Avalanche), and Tennessee (Predators) are having serious virus problems as well.

All of these states have AHL franchises as well. 48 states have declared states of emergency. There is no way that the NHL is going to be able to find a way to play hockey games in arenas with fans packed in shoulder to shoulder in this North American state of emergency with a virus that knows no end. Their AHL franchises are in the exact same situations. Unless Bettman and the NHL owners are ready to expose all their players and the 100's of thousands fans to possible death we will not watch hockey for a long while.

P.S. I have not mentioned our neighbors to the north who are in the same situation as us, but maybe their government leader is wiser than the the fool running this country. If ours loosens the restrictions
the state governors have instituted,, this country will go to Hell in a hand basket.

UticaHockey

Feb 27, 2013
Utica, NY
Getting more and more difficult to understand how hockey resumes at any point for 19-20 season.
Over the past two days Dr Fauci has stated that between 100,000 and 200,000 people may die just in the US alone. This thing isn't going peak in a couple weeks and then we go back to life as normal in May or June. Even if it does start to subside in the warmer summer months he is warning of the possibility that it starts to reemerge again next October. Hopefully by then we will be closer to having a vaccine and therapies that are proven to work with patients who have been stricken with it.

I miss going to the Aud and watching the Comets play. I miss turning the TV on and watching live sports and the break they offer from everyday life but there are more important things than sports right now.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Over the past two days Dr Fauci has stated that between 100,000 and 200,000 people may die just in the US alone. This thing isn't going peak in a couple weeks and then we go back to life as normal in May or June. Even if it does start to subside in the warmer summer months he is warning of the possibility that it starts to reemerge again next October. Hopefully by then we will be closer to having a vaccine and therapies that are proven to work with patients who have been stricken with it.

I miss going to the Aud and watching the Comets play. I miss turning the TV on and watching live sports and the break they offer from everyday life but there are more important things than sports right now.

I concur with every word of this comment. Keep safe my friend, and to all of the other Comets fans I miss jawing with at every game and to those I don't.

A special shout out to the girls at the concession stands. I hope the T-shirt sales and Mr. Esche are still taking care of you and all of the other workers. You guys all still have mouths to feed and bills to pay.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
When is HF going to get the work on their site finished? The delay for a post to register is annoying.

Hey, we have to have something to complain about or it wouldn't be HF. LOL!

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
I posted this in the Vancouver COVID-19 thread to posters concerned about whether or not it's safe to visit their parents. They have received advice and also read that they shouldn't while having others tell them it's alright.

I know this is a difficult one to come to grips with, but the older folks, like me, are much safer if not exposed to the younger folks who have been out in the real world, may have been exposed, or worse are asymptomatic. E-mail, texts, PHONE calls, Skype, and visits with you in the driveway while the rents stay inside and talk through the screen door are the best ways to safely maintain contact. My son shops for us and leaves the groceries in the car. The absence of physical contact is the most difficult part of this whole ordeal, but if it works out for the better it's worth it. I believe when this thing is finally licked the human race is going to be a lot more civil and physical with each other. At least I certainly hope so. There are huge numbers of people doing things right now that reveals the kind of humanity that as a species we were always capable of, but seemed to have forgotten. Let's hope we come out of this on the other side fully expressing our new lease on life.

tradervik

Hear no evil, see no evil, complain about it
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2007
- Signed a semi-pro baseball contract with the "Puerto Rico Stars" and played with some amazing Peurto Rican ball players including 2 early members of the famous Alomar family and Billy DeMars Jr, son of Major League shortstop and eventual manager of the Baltimore Orioles, Billy DeMars Sr.

Puerto Rican Stars? I now have to completely revise my mental image of Mal Portero.

Getting more and more difficult to understand how hockey resumes at any point for 19-20 season.

As Tiger Williams used to say, it's done like dinner.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Puerto Rican Stars? I now have to completely revise my mental image of Mal Portero.

As Tiger Williams used to say, it's done like dinner.

Don't mean to pick but the accurate name of the team was "Puerto Rico Stars". Members of that team would not have taken kindly to the adjective "Rican" in their team name. Puerto Rico across their chests made them very proud, while Puerto Rican was a slur to them when spoken by white Americans. It would have been like naming a team of black players the Negros.

There was one Afro-American and one Jewish kid (great pitcher), both ex-High School teammates of mine, Billy DeMars Jr, and me that were the only players on the team not from Puerto Rico and that included the coaches, manager, and owner.

The most surprising thing about this team, when all was said and done, was that the 4 of us were regular every day players: the catcher, shortstop, Pitcher/OF, and me at 1st base. There was no favortism, no discrimination. Best players were penciled in and those who were backups, pinch hitters, and pitching staff never had a bad word for anyone. We picked up enough Spanish to converse, especially baseball terms, but once we made the effort to adjust to the language barrier they all broke our balls before the 1st game by all of a sudden speaking much better English (with heavy Hispanic accents) than we did with the Spanish. We were a tight bunch and I miss that to this day. Never been to better parties than the ones our owner threw!

tradervik

Hear no evil, see no evil, complain about it
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2007
Don't mean to pick but the accurate name of the team was "Puerto Rico Stars". Members of that team would not have taken kindly to the adjective "Rican" in their team name. Puerto Rico across their chests made them very proud, while Puerto Rican was a slur to them when spoken by white Americans. It would have been like naming a team of black players the Negros.

¡Ay, ay, ay, no es bueno!

Mea culpa.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
¡Ay, ay, ay, no es bueno!

Mea culpa.

Disculpa aceptada.

I think I got that correct. LOL Don't push my Spanish cuz it ain't good. My boys loved the New Jork Jankees. That was their English pronunciation. Jes, it was. Loved those guys. It was a very good team as well.

Our 3rd baseman was Demetrio Alomar brother of Sandy Alomar Sr who played 11 seasons in the major leagues with 4 teams including the New York Yankees who was with in the 1976 World Series. Sandy Sr is the father of Sandy Alomar, Jr a 20-yr major leaguer and his Hall of Famer brother, Roberto Alomar.

Demetrio is their uncle. He played 2 years in the lower minors and was 29 when I joined the team. Great fielder with a rocket arm. The curve ball was, like for so many good ballplayers, his Achilles heel.

Tony Alomar, another relative, but I don't know how, was also on our team. Tony had a much more productive pro career. He had played with the AAA Rochester Red Wings in 1957 and '58 in 2 of his 6 yrs of American AAA pro ball before returning to play in the Mexican League for 3 more. He returned to Rochester and married the girl he met in Rochester when playing with the Red Wings. Fate would have Tony's wife, Daisy, a friend and fellow employee with my mom at the Rochester City Hall. He had been the Puerto Rico 1st baseman from 1965 to 1967. I joined the team in 67 and pushed aging Tony (34) to the #1 pinch hitting role to go along with his roles as hitting coach and 1st base coach.

I forgot another non-Hispanic player because he was in the pitching rotation, Timmy Tyler. He was another ex-pro and fellow youth league pitcher always 1 league ahead of me as kids due to our 2-year age difference. He was a pitcher in the Baltimore chain. He suffered an arm injury and was released after having had 2 very successful minor league seasons at the A and the AA levels. After winter rehab he signed with the Stars for the '67 summer season. Timmy 's deal was rather unique. He signed on with the understanding that he would pitch every other game all summer. Crazy, but he did it and won a **** load of games. The following season Baltimore signed him on as a minor league pitching coach and my high school Jewish pitching ace and good buddy, who was a year behind me in school, took part of Timmy's pitching role, but also played center field when he wasn't pitching because he was that good, but also could hit. Thus, both of those seasons saw only 3 non-Hispanic players on the team.

As Speedy Gonzales said. Arriba Arriba! Andale Andale!

Once we non-Hispanics had been accepted into the fold (and that took 2/3 weeks), we started to break balls pretending to be grasping Spanish and we yelled this out during sprints and base running drills but mostly when a guy was running to score a run or getting more than a single. Luckily, the rest of the team found it hilarious and joined in. Si, No,Hokay, Jes, Senor, Senora, Senorita, chiquita, segunda, tercero, cuatro, taco, tamale, habanero pimentos, Jalapeno, Chile de arbol (the last 3 were offered up raw to prove we belonged, a real teary but hilarious initiation), base (Hah! same in Spanish or English), robar, soltero, doble, triple, carrera, bola, huelga, tachar, cono, mierda, estupido were a large part of our english/Hispanic butchered language. They butchered the English and we the Spanish and it made for a lot of hilarity and camaraderie. Oh, to relive those baseball summers and hockey winters of my early adulthood again.

Best part of all of it is my wife was my lady during all of this and when it ended, we got married and just like in the movies we've lived happily ever after. Looking to enjoy quite a bit more together if we can avoid this virus.

Last edited:

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
Disculpa aceptada.

I think I got that correct. LOL Don't push my Spanish cuz it ain't good. My boys loved the New Jork Jankees. That was their English pronunciation. Jes, it was. Loved those guys. It was a very good team as well.

Our 3rd baseman was Demetrio Alomar brother of Sandy Alomar Sr who played 11 seasons in the major leagues with 4 teams including the New York Yankees who was with in the 1976 World Series. Sandy Sr is the father of Sandy Alomar, Jr a 20-yr major leaguer and his Hall of Famer brother, Roberto Alomar.

Demetrio is their uncle. He played 2 years in the lower minors and was 29 when I joined the team. Great fielder with a rocket arm. The curve ball was, like for so many good ballplayers, his Achilles heel.

Tony Alomar, another relative, but I don't know how, was also on our team. Tony had a much more productive pro career. He had played with the AAA Rochester Red Wings in 1957 and '58 in 2 of his 6 yrs of American AAA pro ball before returning to play in the Mexican League for 3 more. He returned to Rochester and married the girl he met in Rochester when playing with the Red Wings. Fate would have Tony's wife, Daisy, a friend and fellow employee with my mom at the Rochester City Hall. He had been the Puerto Rico 1st baseman from 1965 to 1967. I joined the team in 67 and pushed aging Tony (34) to the #1 pinch hitting role to go along with his roles as hitting coach and 1st base coach.

I forgot another non-Hispanic player because he was in the pitching rotation, Timmy Tyler. He was another ex-pro and fellow youth league pitcher always 1 league ahead of me as kids due to our 2-year age difference. He was a pitcher in the Baltimore chain. He suffered an arm injury and was released after having had 2 very successful minor league seasons at the A and the AA levels. After winter rehab he signed with the Stars for the '67 summer season. Timmy 's deal was rather unique. He signed on with the understanding that he would pitch every other game all summer. Crazy, but he did it and won a **** load of games. The following season Baltimore signed him on as a minor league pitching coach and my high school Jewish pitching ace and good buddy, who was a year behind me in school, took part of Timmy's pitching role, but also played center field when he wasn't pitching because he was that good, but also could hit. Thus, both of those seasons saw only 3 non-Hispanic players on the team.

As Speedy Gonzales said. Arriba Arriba! Andale Andale!

Once we non-Hispanics had been accepted into the fold (and that took 2/3 weeks), we started to break balls pretending to be grasping Spanish and we yelled this out during sprints and base running drills but mostly when a guy was running to score a run or getting more than a single. Luckily, the rest of the team found it hilarious and joined in. Si, No,Hokay, Jes, Senor, Senora, Senorita, chiquita, segunda, tercero, cuatro, taco, tamale, habanero pimentos, Jalapeno, Chile de arbol (the last 3 were offered up raw to prove we belonged, a real teary but hilarious initiation), base (Hah! same in Spanish or English), robar, soltero, doble, triple, carrera, bola, huelga, tachar, cono, mierda, estupido were a large part of our english/Hispanic butchered language. They butchered the English and we the Spanish and it made for a lot of hilarity and camaraderie. Oh, to relive those baseball summers and hockey winters of my early adulthood again.

Best part of all of it is my wife was my lady during all of this and when it ended, we got married and just like in the movies we've lived happily ever after. Looking to enjoy quite a bit more together if we can avoid this virus.

Would double-like this for the Speedy Gonzales reference.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
It comes as no surprise, but Goldy has signed a 2-yr contract to play in the KHL next year in his mother Russia. His time with the Canucks was obviously over as in spite of his PPG AHL numbers (#13 in AHL scoring) he was no longer on Green's list to be recalled. His weak defensive game (although it was actually improved) and bizarre passing gaffes in both ends of the ice pretty much sealed the deal.

Good luck, Nikolay. You were a team player and always congenial with the fans. It's too bad you couldn't work things out in North America. There was always a wealth of talent there.

Last edited:

Clinton Comets EHL

Feb 18, 2014
It comes as no surprise, but Goldy has signed a 2-yr contract to play in the KHL next year in his mother Russia. His time with the Canucks was obviously over as in spite of his PPG AHL numbers (#13 in AHL scoring) he was no longer on Green's list to be recalled. His weak defensive game (although it was actually improved) and bizarre passing gaffes in both ends of the ice pretty much sealed the deal.

Good luck, Nikolay. You were a team player and always congenial with the fans. It's too bad you couldn't work things out in North America. There was always a wealth of talent there.

Heard this on XM The 4th Period yesterday.

No surprise, he was in recall wasteland with Green and the Canucks.

Last edited:

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
With the loss of Goldy and potentially Reid Boucher/Sven baertschi how do you think Utica replaces that firepower?

UticaHockey

Feb 27, 2013
Utica, NY
With the loss of Goldy and potentially Reid Boucher/Sven baertschi how do you think Utica replaces that firepower?
It's impossible to even guess what the Comets roster will look like next season. Of the three players that you mentioned only Goldobin is known to be gone. Baertschi still has another year left on his contract and even though it is assumed that he will either be bought out or traded there is still a chance that neither happens and he is back in Utica again. Boucher is a RFA and could be signed again to provide a high end veteran leader for the Comets. I never expected Boosh to be signed again last year by Benning and yet he was so until he is cut loose he is still a potential Comet.

Beyond that it's just a guess as to what type of players Benning and Johnson will target as free agent signings for the Comets over the summer.

THRILLHOIAF

Jul 26, 2019

K7bJb9G.png

Bouch/Goldy/Baertschi were 3 of the teams top 10 contributors of offense at 5v5

there is no telling if Bailey/Camper/Perron return either as their deals expire this offseason

There's also the possibility of Rafferty making the Canucks out of training camp.

SO conceivably, this Comets squad will get completely overhauled, as it did from 2018-19 to this season

Lockwood/Michaelis will likely be AHL depth at best, but given this organizations history with rookies; counting on them to replace the kind of offense that Bouch/Baer/Goldy provided is foolish.

Reactions: vanuck

UticaHockey

Feb 27, 2013
Utica, NY
K7bJb9G.png

Bouch/Goldy/Baertschi were 3 of the teams top 10 contributors of offense at 5v5

there is no telling if Bailey/Camper/Perron return either as their deals expire this offseason

There's also the possibility of Rafferty making the Canucks out of training camp.

SO conceivably, this Comets squad will get completely overhauled, as it did from 2018-19 to this season

Lockwood/Michaelis will likely be AHL depth at best, but given this organizations history with rookies; counting on them to replace the kind of offense that Bouch/Baer/Goldy provided is foolish.
Other than Boucher the thing that really stands out in that graph is Chatfield. All of those shots with virtually no offensive results to show for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad