The Fourth 2019-20 Utica Comets Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
While this team has had some unbelievable individual performances, I'll put my money on the Devs, Crunch and even Laval before the Comets.

No wonder boos started cascading down...a pathetic effort.

Unorganized, clueless the last 3 minutes of game magnified.

Some "home ice advantage" here.

People are understanding this too, there were simply droves of empty seats.

To be honest, the empty seats were more likely due to the Corona virus warning to avoid large crowds. The Comets had won 6 of their last 7 coming into last night's game, including a 6-p0int sweep this past weekend. That would have made last night's game a big ticket event under normal circumstances. I know those of us in the critical age group are being a lot more prudent about preventive actions. I watched the last 3 home games on AHL TV.

We won't have to worry about any of this for some time now that the AHL and NHL have joined the NBA and MLB in suspending their seasons. March Madness cancelled. Trump be damned! The country is doing the right things while he keeps bumbling about and his great economy is crumbling at his feet largely due to his ineptitude by trying to downplay the virus instead of preparing for its inevitable arrival in this country.

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
FMF7MrA.jpg

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
This isn't a two or three week thing....could be six months before the danger has abated. A shame for the Comets and their fans, but every fan in every pro sport is experiencing the same empty feeling.

Some individual Comets had stellar seasons....Boucher the league MVP imo; Brogan Rafferty at the top of d-man scoring; and sophomores like Kole Lind and Jonah Gadjovich had solid campaigns. But the most surprising player is Justin Bailey. Revitalized his pro hockey career with his best season as a pro.

And the best for last--Michael DiPietro. A solid rookie campaign in the toughest position on the rink to play. Definitely an NHL goaltender of the future. And that future could be soon.

Reactions: Megaterio Llamas

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Stay safe Bad Goalie (and all our fellow Comets fans).

Thanks for your concern and the same thoughts back to you and all of those we have corresponded with throughout the past seasons in Vancouver. Canada and the US are both going to have to deal with this.

I hope the Canadian government is doing a Hell of a lot better job than ours is. The buffoon running this country just keeps lying and trying to keep the truth from the population in order to make himself look good and protect him for the upcoming November election. Personally, I think he just buries his chances deeper and deeper every time he opens his mouth. Hope, hope, hope!

I don't think any of us plan on going anywhere. Here's to the next posts in the near future.

Health and wellness to you all,
BG

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
The suspension of hockey and the potential loss of the season, is downer. But will especially miss those Comet posters like BG and others in the Mohawk Valley who love their team, win or lose.

Stay safe down there everybody.

Reactions: vanuck

tradervik

Hear no evil, see no evil, complain about it
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2007
Best of luck to everyone but especially to our southern neighbours. I used to strongly resent American exceptionalism but now I miss it, kind of like feeling sorry for the Leafs after they missed the playoffs for so many years.

UticaHockey

Feb 27, 2013
Utica, NY
There is a lot of posting on Twitter these days about which NHL teams are paying their game day staff and which are not. Please consider buying a $25 shirt designed by the Comets office staff to help them and the arena staff at the Aud during these unusual times.

And a reminder that the Canucks own the AHL franchise and pays all of the players, trainers and coaching staff. A local business group headed by Robert Esche pays all of the Comets office staff and game day arena staff as they also manage the Aud. Plus they pay the Canucks an affiliation fee to place their team in Utica. Minor league teams depend on game day revenue and not multi-billion dollar TV contracts.

The other business ventures that Esche and his group own and operate in Utica are a few restaurants which are also impacted by the coronavirus scare and they just announced that they will provide free meals to kids 12 and under in light of many lower income families having their jobs affected by the current situation.

Reactions: FroshaugFan2

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Cuomo just stated that in addition to Restaurants being able to provide take out meals, that both the restaurants and bars will be allowed to sell alcohol by takeout. They have suspended the liquor laws that prevent alcohol to be taken off the premises of bars and restaurants. It has been done to help alleviate the economic impact on the bar and restaurant businesses.

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
Cuomo just stated that in addition to Restaurants being able to provide take out meals, that both the restaurants and bars will be allowed to sell alcohol by takeout. They have suspended the liquor laws that prevent alcohol to be taken off the premises of bars and restaurants. It has been done to help alleviate the economic impact on the bar and restaurant businesses.
Did Cuomo really call it 'marshall' law :)

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014

Love the chick in the polka dot swim suit.

Never heard this one. Do like the big band sound I never actually was alive to hear when it was the thing.

Louie Prima was recording in my youth and caught his on the 50's TV shows like Ed Sullivan and Milton Berle.

It took me decades to roll back time to the late 30's, 40's Big Band, Swing eras. Napster opened my eyes and ears and I acquired a nice backlog, but not enough.

Reactions: Megaterio Llamas

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
@Bad Goalie do you remember this one?

1966. WOW! one of my most memorable years.
- Won the 1966 City Championship in High School Football.

- Got accepted to all the schools I applied to.

- Signed a semi-pro baseball contract with the "Puerto Rico Stars" and played with some amazing Peurto Rican ball players including 2 early members of the famous Alomar family and Billy DeMars Jr, son of Major League shortstop and eventual manager of the Baltimore Orioles, Billy DeMars Sr.

- Broke up with my high school mistake.

-Went out with all the high school girls I had passed by due to the mistake I wasted 2 years on. Teen-aged idiocy!

- Gravitated back to my original neighborhood dream girl at the end of that 1966-67 school year in June 1967. I have spent the rest of my life with that beautiful girl. We are self quarantined at the moment due to our age and her lung issues. Not exactly hard to take.

- Rochester Amerks and Red Wings were winning it all.

- Made the college of my choice's Hockey team and started in goal as a freshman.

- My wife to be was an early acceptant to the same University.

Life was GREAT!

I became locked into the past for the most part since the disco era. Lots of stuff since then I have loved, but it's never been the same. I was always listening to music in 1966, but never heard this one either. It's nice. I'd call it bedroom music. Loved music of that ilk. Won't go there!

Last edited:

go comets

Jul 10, 2013
I think most will agree that cancellation of sports is the least of our worries. Luckily I live in the country and the closest house is 1/4 mile from me. So nothing has really changed. Idk how it is in other areas but grocery stores here are out of cereal, pasta,meat,soup, spaghetti sauce and the like. Forget paper products and any type of disinfecting cleaners.... Kids are already bored out of their minds ....

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Some nice depth signings, likely bound for Utica. Lockwood and Michaelis had stellar college careers and should fit right in with the Comets. Uticans will love Lockwood's relentless style of two-way game, although he'll have to avoid injuries in the pros.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
I think most will agree that cancellation of sports is the least of our worries. Luckily I live in the country and the closest house is 1/4 mile from me. So nothing has really changed. Idk how it is in other areas but grocery stores here are out of cereal, pasta,meat,soup, spaghetti sauce and the like. Forget paper products and any type of disinfecting cleaners.... Kids are already bored out of their minds ....
Suggest use baby wipes in case you have an urgent need for Lysol wipes. Might have a greater chance of finding those (eg., our local supermarket chain is sells out toilet paper FAST but there still seems to be an ample supply of baby wipes).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->