The Fourth 2019-20 Utica Comets Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
*fun fact. The Comets dressed only three AHL caliber defencemen in their last game. Chatfield, Blujus (playing on the wrong side), and Rafferty.

Well, arguably four I guess if you include Leblanc, but he was playing left wing. Matt Petgrave is probably the worst hockey player I have yet seen suit up for the Utica Comets. Yeah, it's a mess back there.

UticaHockey

Feb 27, 2013
Utica, NY
*fun fact. The Comets dressed only three AHL caliber defencemen in their last game. Chatfield, Blujus (playing on the wrong side), and Rafferty.

Well, arguably four I guess if you include Leblanc, but he was playing left wing. Matt Petgrave is probably the worst hockey player I have yet seen suit up for the Utica Comets. Yeah, it's a mess back there.
When Pat Conacher was moved out of his role in Utica this season the ability to find good ECHL fill ins on PTOs left with him. Conacher wasn't concerned with the optics of offering a PTO to an unsigned player on a different ECHL team while bypassing a Comets/Canucks contracted player in Kzoo. He simply wanted the best player available for the role that was needed by the Comets. With Ryan Johnson left on his own the Comets have only gone the PTO route one time this year with a call up from Kzoo of a player not on an AHL contract with the Comets. He would rather stay with the players that he signed over the summer rather than seeing if there are better options that can be brought in instead. Matt Petgrave is a terrible hockey player but since Johnson signed him to a full year AHL contract he is what we get when a defenseman is needed instead of scouting the ECHL for another Colton Saucerman type fill in.

And I will add this. The players that Ryan Johnson signed were all ECHL plugs and none of them were signed with the thought that maybe there is an undiscovered gem in there that might make the NHL someday. So for the crowd that says we should give organizational contracted players a call up before signing PTOs none of these players will ever see a NHL game without buying a ticket. In previous years the Canucks signed a few undrafted kids out of the CHL to AHL contracts and sent them to Kzoo or Alaska when they were the affiliated ECHL team. None of them turned out to be anything but at least a case could be made that they were D level prospects rather than simple ECHL depth.

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
Matt Petgrave is probably the worst hockey player I have yet seen suit up for the Utica Comets. ...

You have an advantage over me in that you actually see the Comets. Until seeing this post from you I had been under the impression that MacKenzie Stewart was unchallenged as the worst Comet.

At the age of 20 Stewart played 4 games for the Comets and 6 for the Wings before the Canucks found a junior team willing to take him as an overager. In his 4 games with the Comets Stewart had 0 points, 17 PIM and was only -1.

He then got 2 more games with the Comets a couple of seasons later, again getting 0 points, this time with 5 PIM and going -3, making a career total of 6 Comets games with 0 goals, 0 assists, 22 PIM and -4.

HFB-Canucks was pretty much universally scathing of the Canucks' management for drafting and signing to an NHL deal someone who couldn't play the game.

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
You have an advantage over me in that you actually see the Comets. Until seeing this post from you I had been under the impression that MacKenzie Stewart was unchallenged as the worst Comet.

At the age of 20 Stewart played 4 games for the Comets and 6 for the Wings before the Canucks found a junior team willing to take him as an overager. In his 4 games with the Comets Stewart had 0 points, 17 PIM and was only -1.

He then got 2 more games with the Comets a couple of seasons later, again getting 0 points, this time with 5 PIM and going -3, making a career total of 6 Comets games with 0 goals, 0 assists, 22 PIM and -4.

HFB-Canucks was pretty much universally scathing of the Canucks' management for drafting and signing to an NHL deal someone who couldn't play the game.
I guess I would concede that Stewart is probably an even worse hockey player than Petgrave, but I didn't watch the Comets in the Mackenzie Stewart era so I only have his legend to go by.

Matt Petgrave I have seen play and brother he is one bad hockey player. A rea,l standout for the Comets, and not in a positive way.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Petgrave is seriously bad but unlike Stewart at least he wasn't cut by a ECHL team.
Yeah Stewart wasn’t so hot in junior let alone even a low level professional league. Fine, burn a 7th round pick because you see something in him (looked elite in practice..) but how in the holy did he get a contract and waste one of the 50 contract slots?

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Utica Comets to play outdoor game at Griffis Business and Technology Park, formerly Griffis Air Force Base. Game will take place February 13th, 2021 as part of a unique event called the Empire State Classic.

Utica College and Oswego State will play in an NCAA Division III game on February 12th.

On another note the Comets will welcome Justin Bailey back into their offensively drowning lineup. They are falling fast while others in the Division are rising fast. That bottom feeder Binghamton is now 1 point out of the playoffs.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
It's too bad about Goldy. You can see the sublime offensive talent at times. But in the d-zone he just seems to go into 'freeze frame', and will consistently make poor, low percentage plays. Just can't seem discipline himself to make the safe, boring play out his own zone when there's nothing there.

The Canucks probably hoped that one full season in Utica playing in all situations, including even the pk, would improve his defense. But just doesn't seem to be happening, and I would imagine he's KHL-bound at the end of the season.

He's got the skill but just doesn't seem to have the hockey sense to make it as a player. Too bad.

THRILLHOIAF

Jul 26, 2019
Josh Norris called up from the Sens prior to tonight's matchup

Doubt that's enough to move the needle totally in the Comets favor but it'll certainly help

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
Former Comet Joseph LaBate scores for the Senators to tie the game at 1. Seamus Malone scored for the Comets early in the period.

Forward lines and D pairs:

Bailey - Stevens - Lind
Baertschi - Camper - Boucher
Goldobin - Jasek - Bancks
LeBlanc - Malone - Stevenson

Brisebois - Rafferty
Blujus - Chatfield
Eliot - Petgrave

DiPietro
McIntyre

Scratches: McLeod, Teves

Injuries/illnes/etc: Pope, Perron, Gadjovich, Graovac, Hamilton, Arseneau, Juolevi, Sautner

Camper scores with just over 2 minutes left in the 1st to give the Comets the lead! Boucher gets the only assist.

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
The Comets got a 5 minute PP near the end of the 1st and 35 seconds into the 2nd Bailey scores (Baertschi, Rafferty). Still another 3 minutes to go in the major.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
4-2 Comets now. Bailey with a pair so far...

How the hell is Teves healthy scratched in favor of Petgrave?
Still burns my butt that Bailey basically got bumpkiss in terms of a look from the Canucks. In the meantime we're treated to the sight of guys like Eriksson, Roussel and Schaller, before he was mercifully traded, plodding up and down the ice.

Sometimes you wonder why the Canucks even bother owning a farm team.

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
Still burns my butt that Bailey basically got bumpkiss in terms of a look from the Canucks. In the meantime we're treated to the sight of guys like Eriksson, Roussel and Schaller, before he was mercifully traded, plodding up and down the ice.

Sometimes you wonder why the Canucks even bother owning a farm team.
His first pp goal was right after Alex Formenton nailed him with a high elbow to the head pissing him off.

And ex Comet/Canuck Darren Archibald beats Mikey to narrow the lead to 4-3...

TraderJim

Um.. like.. you know
Apr 18, 2006
No offense to the regular contributors, but personally I felt like this thread started to get depressing, much like the rest of the board really. Just way too much whining. Pages and pages - novels, really - of it.

So not having any news is better because reality is too negative for you? You are blaming the wrong thing if you are blaming the messengers rather than the people putting these teams together. Fans, media, whatever to take the spotlight off of the terribly designed teams.

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
So not having any news is better because reality is too negative for you? You are blaming the wrong thing if you are blaming the messengers rather than the people putting these teams together. Fans, media, whatever to take the spotlight off of the terribly designed teams.
I appreciate the news and insight a lot. When it's the same thing every day, page after page, it's not news anymore. It's not about it being "negative" either. That's people's go-to excuse for bitching.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->