The Forbidden Subject?: Attendance

Status
Not open for further replies.

NHLfan4life

Who is PKP???
Nov 22, 2010
Glendale
I noticed attendance is all over the board this time of year. The lower bowl is relatively sparse as far as seats filled, especially during the week.

Are we up in attendance for the year? I just noticed we slipped to 30th in attendance, is that typical? I've never followed attendance but it does seem to be more full than years passed.

CC96

Serious Offender
Nov 6, 2012
Mesa, Arizona
We are up 24% this year after the first 5 home games compared to the 2011-2012 season. Remember, our attendance is always lower in October, especially on weekdays.

We had around 10,500 show up on a tuesday night against the kings last night. In 2011 we drew roughly 6,500 to an early October game against the Kings that was also on a Tuesday, for comparisons sake.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Surely the ownership has their own internal benchmarks for this stuff, which will likely never be public.

I think we are doing okay thus far considering the limited amount of time everyone had to get going for the season. Next year is a much bigger deal. The end of this season too, depending on how the on ice product is at the time.

Howler Scores

Mar 13, 2011
Maricopa County
Most of the games in Nov are on Sat so the average should jump up a tad. I think an average of 14,000 in Nov for all the games is about right. I know the 11-30 game is pretty much sold out and don't forget that ticket prices are 10-20% higher this year. I am worried about Thursday. Generally weekday games against Nashville only drew 8k in the past so if it hits 10k, that's a great sign for a strong finish.

Sciamachy

Shadow Coyote
Jan 31, 2008
Surely the ownership has their own internal benchmarks for this stuff, which will likely never be public.

I think we are doing okay thus far considering the limited amount of time everyone had to get going for the season. Next year is a much bigger deal. The end of this season too, depending on how the on ice product is at the time.

I believe early in the year Leblanc said they'd like to be up around 15K for the average by the end of this season, 16K next year and 17K the year after. That's about all we'll get from them about benchmarks I'd suppose.

If the attendance can stay at around the 24% increase over the 11-12 season that CC posted earlier then a 15K average is completely doable this year (24% increase would put us at about 15,400)

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
I believe early in the year Leblanc said they'd like to be up around 15K for the average by the end of this season, 16K next year and 17K the year after. That's about all we'll get from them about benchmarks I'd suppose.

If the attendance can stay at around the 24% increase over the 11-12 season that CC posted earlier then a 15K average is completely doable this year (24% increase would put us at about 15,400)

We only pulled 14,624 against the Red Wings on a Saturday night. I think that 15k average for the year is reaching for the stars in my honest opinion. I would like to see no game lower than 10k. I mean, just the fact that 2 years ago for a weeknight game we were pulling in 6k for some games, that's a huge boost. I did notice last night quite a bit of suites were being used. A different look compared to other nights I remember from last year. I don't know why they don't let people move down to the lower bowl after the 1st period or something, to fill in the ends if possible. It looks really bad. Sides were looking pretty good, but the ends had whole rows almost empty.

TickleMeYandle

Not so fast,
Dec 19, 2011
We only pulled 14,624 against the Red Wings on a Saturday night.

I can't help questioning that number, when I first saw it I thought there's no way it could be correct - the place was pretty full on Saturday and I don't remember seeing any large groups of empty seats. Of course there were more empty seats later in the third when the Detroit fans started leaving en masse, but it sure FELT like more than 14,624.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
I am worried about Thursday. Generally weekday games against Nashville only drew 8k in the past so if it hits 10k, that's a great sign for a strong finish.
It's not just a normal Thursday either, it's Halloween. It'll be completely understandable if attendance is particularly low for this game.

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
I can't help questioning that number, when I first saw it I thought there's no way it could be correct - the place was pretty full on Saturday and I don't remember seeing any large groups of empty seats. Of course there were more empty seats later in the third when the Detroit fans started leaving en masse, but it sure FELT like more than 14,624.

Hrm, is there any other place that shows attendance numbers? I usually pull my numbers off espn.com. I do find it hard to believe that we didn't sell out on a Saturday, for the ONLY game the Red Wings will play here in Arizona with as many Red Wings fans as there are in the valley. They usually chomp at the bit to watch their boys play.

Sciamachy

Shadow Coyote
Jan 31, 2008
We only pulled 14,624 against the Red Wings on a Saturday night. I think that 15k average for the year is reaching for the stars in my honest opinion. I would like to see no game lower than 10k. I mean, just the fact that 2 years ago for a weeknight game we were pulling in 6k for some games, that's a huge boost. I did notice last night quite a bit of suites were being used. A different look compared to other nights I remember from last year. I don't know why they don't let people move down to the lower bowl after the 1st period or something, to fill in the ends if possible. It looks really bad. Sides were looking pretty good, but the ends had whole rows almost empty.

Yeah, I had just thought as I posted that, that as the 11-12 season went on there were a number of 15-17K games which we can't really improve on at the rate we have now since the arena can't hold it. So yeah, 15K at this point is a bit stretching. If we could hit 14K (last years avg.) and a trip to the playoffs would hopefully give a good boost leading into next year.

Hrm, is there any other place that shows attendance numbers? I usually pull my numbers off espn.com. I do find it hard to believe that we didn't sell out on a Saturday, for the ONLY game the Red Wings will play here in Arizona with as many Red Wings fans as there are in the valley. They usually chomp at the bit to watch their boys play.

Event summary on NHL.com has it at 14,624 as well (might be where espn gets their numbers):

http://www.nhl.com/scores/htmlreports/20132014/ES020120.HTM

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Wings road allure has been slowly eroding away since Yzerman and Shanahan departed.

It's still bigger than average but not what it used to be.

JTPoni23

Dec 26, 2012
Barrie, Ontario
Good article about it here.

http://thehockeywriters.com/putting-phoenix-coyotes-attendance-figures-context/

Personally, I'd be happy if the average is anything over 14K. I think 15K is really stretching it. Obviously the snowbirds are not there yet so that should provide a big boost within the next 6-8 weeks I'd hope.

What I don't understand though is why there is not different levels of pricing in the ends in the lower bowl for the first half of rows and the upper half. The upper halves are literally always empty, why not knock $5-$10 off?

Howler Scores

Mar 13, 2011
Maricopa County
Good article about it here.
What I don't understand though is why there is not different levels of pricing in the ends in the lower bowl for the first half of rows and the upper half. The upper halves are literally always empty, why not knock $5-$10 off?

That has been my beef. Make the last 4 rows in the ends cheaper to get the upper people to move down and make money on seats that go unused most of the time.

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
Coyotes Bandwagon
For what it's worth ...

I was talking to the bus driver on the ride home last night and she
a) claimed to "really like the team"
b) didn't realize we had a home game tonight
c) recognized the name LeBlanc but didn't realize the ownership situation was sorted out now
d) "just hoped they can get it together" and make the playoffs, and she was surprised when I said the team was really good this year.

There was a poll on a Coyotes article on azcentral earlier (of course I can't find it now) and the "what do you think the team will do this year" was something like 75% "miss the playoffs" after 2,000+ votes.

Is there a simple knowledge gap here? Do casuals in PHX know the team is good? Because that seems SOOOO much easier to fix than, "I can't make the drive from Scottsdale."

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix

I primarily sit in the upper bowl on the sides. Those seats could be cheaper than the 2nd level and I wouldn't sit down there. End seats are terrible.

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
Coyotes Bandwagon
I primarily sit in the upper bowl on the sides. Those seats could be cheaper than the 2nd level and I wouldn't sit down there. End seats are terrible.
... and I can't stand the view on the sides (TV view) and love the end (Playstation view). To each their own ... I think it'd be a good idea.

Only problem is that it's a lot harder to police row-by-row seat hopping ... easy to keep section 208 out of Section 108, but requires much more active ushering to keep Row R out of Row B. That's not a big deal, but neither is 3rd period seat hopping, and the workers at the JOB have threatened to throw me out multiple times, so maybe it IS a big deal ...

mesamonster

Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ.
For what it's worth ...

I was talking to the bus driver on the ride home last night and she
a) claimed to "really like the team"
b) didn't realize we had a home game tonight
c) recognized the name LeBlanc but didn't realize the ownership situation was sorted out now
d) "just hoped they can get it together" and make the playoffs, and she was surprised when I said the team was really good this year.

There was a poll on a Coyotes article on azcentral earlier (of course I can't find it now) and the "what do you think the team will do this year" was something like 75% "miss the playoffs" after 2,000+ votes.

Is there a simple knowledge gap here? Do casuals in PHX know the team is good? Because that seems SOOOO much easier to fix than, "I can't make the drive from Scottsdale."

The team has had a great start, three points out of first! Do we have talent? Some! What keeps us competitive is Tippett and his staff. Without them this team would be a bottom feeder with the talent level. Lets continue to hope that Tip can keep the team playing as a team as opposed to allowing the boys get bloated heads and wander off the reservation.:yo:

Howler Scores

Mar 13, 2011
Maricopa County
The team has had a great start, three points out of first! Do we have talent? Some! What keeps us competitive is Tippett and his staff. Without them this team would be a bottom feeder with the talent level. Lets continue to hope that Tip can keep the team playing as a team as opposed to allowing the boys get bloated heads and wander off the reservation.:yo:

So the Wild fan that actively rooted for relocation is now using the term "we"? Lame, get a real hobby.

Longwayfromhome

Sweden/London, UK.
Oct 18, 2013
Many of the "hockey lovers" i've come across mentally still lives in the Gretzky era. They still has the firm believe that the team is bad and it's quite obvious that many that claims to care - really doesn't care at all. It takes a long time to establish a big fan base, especially when hockey really isn't peoples first choice when it comes to sports in the valley. I recognize the core of the fan base as extremely loyal and with a good understanding of the sport. There just isn't enough of them…

Howler Scores

Mar 13, 2011
Maricopa County
So I guess you cant be a fan of two teams? Why a fan of relocation? Simply business sir, simply business! BTW, i am a partial STH of the Coyotes! Time for a new hobby-Go Yotes:yo::yo:

If that's true then I think that is awesome.

Another thing to remember about attendance (for me to get back on topic) is that all the projections are based on an average of 12,800 (I think). If tonight is 10k or more, then its a sign that the average will be 14k at the end of the season. As I have stated in the past (as well as others) this type of game would only draw 7-8k in prior years and would bring the average down. So 2k more means the average would be higher in the end. With one sellout coming next month (and hopefully another one on the 9th) I bet we will be out of the basement soon enough.

Feb 12, 2003
I've been to three of the home games so far this season and I've been somewhat surprised by the attendance at those games.

The Red Wings and Oilers games were much less under capacity than I expected them to be. The Red Wings games used to always sell out it seemed, if nothing else due to all of the Red Wings fans.

The Saturday Matinee might have just been a wrong read for me, but I specifically took my family to that game because of the time and I fully expected to see it sold out with families in attendance. The second thing that surprised me was how many Oilers jerseys they were. I had joked a couple of times, "This is what it looks like to go to a game in Edmonton!" due to all of the orange and blue.

One thing that seems pretty obvious to me at this point in the season is that the lower bowl end zones are priced wrong. Those sections are almost always at 50% capacity. They need to adjust the pricing to find a way to encourage the people at the upper bowl in the same end zones to move down and fill those seats.

To their credit, the upper bowl seems full almost every game. Again, they need to figure out a way to get some of those people down in the lower bowl by making some of the less desirable seats in the lower bowl a closer competition financially.

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
I've been to three of the home games so far this season and I've been somewhat surprised by the attendance at those games.

The Red Wings and Oilers games were much less under capacity than I expected them to be. The Red Wings games used to always sell out it seemed, if nothing else due to all of the Red Wings fans.

The Saturday Matinee might have just been a wrong read for me, but I specifically took my family to that game because of the time and I fully expected to see it sold out with families in attendance. The second thing that surprised me was how many Oilers jerseys they were. I had joked a couple of times, "This is what it looks like to go to a game in Edmonton!" due to all of the orange and blue.

One thing that seems pretty obvious to me at this point in the season is that the lower bowl end zones are priced wrong. Those sections are almost always at 50% capacity. They need to adjust the pricing to find a way to encourage the people at the upper bowl in the same end zones to move down and fill those seats.

To their credit, the upper bowl seems full almost every game. Again, they need to figure out a way to get some of those people down in the lower bowl by making some of the less desirable seats in the lower bowl a closer competition financially.

Agreed on those points. I don't know how many people are abusing the deals they are offering. The Kings game I went to on Tuesday, through season ticket holders I know I was able to get $10 upper bowl tickets, or $25 lower bowl tickets. No way I was going to pass on that. There were 3 games they offered that for, and I just picked my poison. I don't want to think I cheated the team, I mean that's $50 more than what they wouldn't have had, plus $25 total from us parking in 2 different lots.

I wish I could go to more games, but currently I'm only a temporary employee, so I have to do it when I can. All signs point to going permanent here in April, and first on the list is upper bowl season ticket. I'll go when I can, and try to sell it off or give it away if I can't, but with my pay increase, I can handle paying for the cheapest ticket in town.

The numbers right now are promising though, so far no game under 10k fans. If we can have every game above 10k fans, that's really an incredible year compared to the normal of possibly between 6k-8k fans. Baby steps guys, we aren't going to sell out every night in the first year obviously, but if we improve year over year, that has to be positive news and has to allow the new boys in charge to see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
So the Wild fan that actively rooted for relocation is now using the term "we"? Lame, get a real hobby.

He has a hobby, it's constantly reminding us of his pseudo-insider opinion that we won't have a team here after 2010 ^H^H^H^H 2011 ^H^H^H^H 2012 ^H^H^H^ 2013 ^H^H^H^H 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad