The Football Videos Thread

Suiteness

Mar 14, 2003
Time to Rebuild
Visit site
The "Pélé did it first" thread made me think we should perhaps have a thread where we could post videos of match hilighlits or player profiles or whatever floats your boat.

I'll start with what was probably the best, or close to that, football match I've ever seen, between the Netherlands and the Czech Republic at Euro 2004.

That match was insane. End to end action, goals galore and tons of skills on display. And that Nedved shot, sweet merciful Jesus, that Nedved shot! :bow:

Some context, the Czechs had already won their first match of the competition so after tying it, it would have been expected of them to sit back and settle for the tie, right? Wrong! They went straight for the jugular and subbed in attacking players for defensive players to get the winner which they eventually ended up getting.

As we all know, there is no justice in football and this ridiculously talented and entertaining Czech team went out to the horribly negative boring Greeks in the semis. Ah well, you win some, you lose some I guess.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Lol, when you see the highlights of that 2000 final, you can see how the game has changed regarding fouls and such. Italian defensemen (Cannavaro among others) destroyed french players going towards the goal and never feared a red card. OTOH, Desailly, right after a big foul on a french player by Cannavaro, elbows him BIG TIME in the following set play, and nothing happens :laugh:
You hurt a guy on my team, you're going to get punished... NHL-like really at the time.

Reactions: Stray Wasp

Suiteness

Mar 14, 2003
Time to Rebuild
Visit site
Best game I ever saw :

Was all of 6 years old at the time but I do remember this match, yes.:nod:

Careca's goal was incredible, such a well orchestrated piece of football. Sadly, Platini will never outlive that penalty! :laugh:

Lol, when you see the highlights of that 2000 final, you can see how the game has changed regarding fouls and such.

No kidding, I remember how teams would defend corners back then. You would literally see defenders wrap their arms in the attacker's jersey and toss him on the ground, it was complete nonsense.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Careca's goal was amazing. That one touch football Brazil had. One of the best teams I saw in my lifetime for sure. That Zico/Socrates generation :amazed:
When you see the character of Neymar these days... sigh.... Brazil has fallen so much in terms of talent/character/class...
I think Platini won't think of that pen too much since they won anyway. He'll regret his 82 semi much more.

Suiteness

Mar 14, 2003
Time to Rebuild
Visit site
And the match that will haunt my dad's nightmares forever, he still whines about it to this day. (He's a huge Brazil homer)

What stands out is how HORRIBLE the Brazilian defending is. Oh and Serginho as well, where on earth did they find that donkey?:laugh:

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Which makes me think... Most heartborken game of all time for me. From complete HIGH to complete RAGE to complete LOW. Craziest game ever possibly. The amount of injustice in that game is crazy...Reffing stole France of a WC final... Schumacher became the biggest piece of junk in the football universe. And the ref laughed with him after his murder attempt (not to mention he let german players hack french players at will and that lead to the 2-3).

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
What stands out is how HORRIBLE the Brazilian defending is. Oh and Serginho as well, where on earth did they find that donkey?:laugh:

Reminds me on the starting striker on a WC final winning team (simply because he was ZZ's BF).

This is the same guy who today says he was as talented as Zidane and who criticizes everyone on TV and radio :biglaugh:

Suiteness

Mar 14, 2003
Time to Rebuild
Visit site
Remember those days when Dutch football didn't suck?

Another match between two fine teams of their era. Dem Beckham crosses:amazed: And Rui Costa :bow: God how I miss those days of classical #10 play makers bossing the field.

Anybody remember the Cup Winner's Cup? Can you count all the current coaches playing on that day? And Bobby Robson's translator at 2:35?

Ajacied

Stay strong Appie! ❤
Apr 6, 2002
Netherlands
Not often a fan of compilations, but this one is very well done. I can watch the elegance of Bergkamp all day..

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad