OT: The Football Thread

JKP

Sep 19, 2004
Halifax, NS
Lamar Jackson was so bad yesterday that he probably dragged Justin Fields even further down the first round.
Some of it was for sure Lamar, but a lot of it was the O-line and Roman. As a Ravens fan, the O-line and Roman have been consistent issues all year.

Good luck with Saleh, hopefully his skills translate as a HC.

Reactions: Quickdraw2828

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
As a long suffering Bills fan, I am optimistic this year. Big game against KC, hoping Mahomes is a go. If you are to win the superbowl, you want to beat the best. I think it's a 50-50 next week. Got faith in McDermott.

MattMartin

Killer Instinct™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island
Lamar Jackson will never win a Super Bowl as a starting QB.

My hot take.

The Saints should trade Michael Thomas and Taysom Hill to Houston for Watson.

NO is still in a win now position with the defense and Kamara.

Houston gains a QB and a WR and salary won't be a issue since Thomas/ Hill just about = Watson.

Last edited:

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC

My hot take.

Houston gains a QB and a WR and salary won't be a issue since Watson/ Hill just about = Watson.

How dare you propose a Watson trade that does not include the Jets!

JKP

Sep 19, 2004
Halifax, NS

My hot take.

Houston gains a QB and a WR and salary won't be a issue since Thomas/ Hill just about = Watson.
Disagree on Lamar. Ravens will patch up the O-line (esp. C), hopefully get a coordinator/coach to fix up the passing playbook and Lamar will keep working on his throwing. The kid's an amazing athlete and a hard worker and with actual non-covid offseason coaching he'll get better. And the Raven's D is always going to be top notch. Regardless, lots of fun to watch young AFC QBs now.

The Real JT

The slate is clean. LGI
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
Now I have to watch Bruce Arians in the Super Bowl wearing his mask barely above his lips.

Where's the COVID police when you need them?

Go Bills

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
Now I have to watch Bruce Arians in the Super Bowl wearing his mask barely above his lips.

Where's the COVID police when you need them?

Go Bills

I cannot believe the Bucs are in the Super Bowl. The Giants gave them everything they could handle during the season and should have won. If Washington had an even average QB, instead of freaking Taylor Heineken, lol, they would have beaten them in the first round.

Arians and Brady were ready to murder each other during the season, before a few late-season patsies like the Lions and Falcons gave them renewed confidence.

I usually root for the Bucs, having lived in Tampa for many years, but I cannot pull for Brady under any circumstances. It just goes to show that next year, the NFC should be wide open - especially if Rodgers pouts his way out of Green Bay.

@PWJunior how about Rodgers in Denver next season throwing to your WRs and Fant? ;)

I am really hoping the Giants can add a WR1, Edge, CB2, maybe one more player along the o-line, and get just a little bit of growth out of Daniel Jones.

Reactions: PWJunior

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Better team won in the KC and Bills game. Took me a night to stop sulking, but we(The Bills) had our behinds kicked. Score flattered the Bills. Rough ending to a great season.

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
Better team won in the KC and Bills game. Took me a night to stop sulking, but we(The Bills) had our behinds kicked. Score flattered the Bills. Rough ending to a great season.

Steve Spagnuolo brought heat all night long and the Chiefs' secondary played great. At least this wasn't a game of "you beat yourselves," the Chiefs were just the better team.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Steve Spagnuolo brought heat all night long and the Chiefs' secondary played great. At least this wasn't a game of "you beat yourselves," the Chiefs were just the better team.
He's a heck of a coordinator. The Chiefs D gave the Bills the toughest time of any team this year.

Quickdraw2828

Aug 2, 2011
"I'm blown away by Zach Wilson," said Simms, a former NFL quarterback. "I feel like I'm back watching almost a Patrick Mahomes again. That's how I feel when I'm watching him. It's Aaron Rodgers-ish."
NBC Sports' Chris Simms, speaking this week on the "Chris Simms Unbuttoned" podcast, rated Wilson as the No. 1 quarterback in the draft. He put him ahead of Lawrence, claiming it's not even close.
:eek::eek:

Personally, I'm completely off the the Darnold train. He had a lot of time during the last New England game and he was comically bad. It was only one game, but that did it for me. He just doesn't seem that bright, which means turnover machine.

As for the he has had no weapons argument - Robbie Anderson had 95 catches with a below average quarterback.

NEXT!

New York Jets could hold winning lottery ticket as Zach Wilson's draft stock soars

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
"I'm blown away by Zach Wilson," said Simms, a former NFL quarterback. "I feel like I'm back watching almost a Patrick Mahomes again. That's how I feel when I'm watching him. It's Aaron Rodgers-ish."
NBC Sports' Chris Simms, speaking this week on the "Chris Simms Unbuttoned" podcast, rated Wilson as the No. 1 quarterback in the draft. He put him ahead of Lawrence, claiming it's not even close.
:eek::eek:

Personally, I'm completely off the the Darnold train. He had a lot of time during the last New England game and he was comically bad. It was only one game, but that did it for me. He just doesn't seem that bright, which means turnover machine.

As for the he has had no weapons argument - Robbie Anderson had 95 catches with a below average quarterback.

NEXT!

New York Jets could hold winning lottery ticket as Zach Wilson's draft stock soars

I truly believe this is clickbait by NBC Sports.

One analyst believes the comparison between the two is "not even close" sounds like HF Boards, not true draft analysis. I'm not saying Wilson isn't/can't be great but I think the analysis/story put out by NBC Sports for Simms is hogwash.

I'm with you on Darnold, I think his time in NY should be over.

Reactions: The Real JT

crasherino

May 9, 2013
Just saw that Curtis Godwin got franchised. Shaq Barrett would be my #1 priority in FA. Jets obviously need a Guard and WR - they'll get that one way or another - but there aren't many legit pass rushers available in FA. I'd back up the Brinks truck for him. If Dupree is healthy, I'd consider him too, but Barrett would be #1. We haven't had a pass rusher since John Abraham left.

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
Just saw that Curtis Godwin got franchised. Shaq Barrett would be my #1 priority in FA. Jets obviously need a Guard and WR - they'll get that one way or another - but there aren't many legit pass rushers available in FA. I'd back up the Brinks truck for him. If Dupree is healthy, I'd consider him too, but Barrett would be #1. We haven't had a pass rusher since John Abraham left.

Kenny Golladay hitting the market too. I like him as a wideout with Mims and Crowder (if they don't cut him for $10mil of Cap Space).

Allen Robinson, Golladay and Curtis Samuel should be the WR targets. Samuel would fit the Deebo Samuel/Brandon Aiyuk role in the Shanahan offense. Juju Smith-Fortnite can kick rocks.

crasherino

May 9, 2013
Kenny Golladay hitting the market too. I like him as a wideout with Mims and Crowder (if they don't cut him for $10mil of Cap Space).

Allen Robinson, Golladay and Curtis Samuel should be the WR targets. Samuel would fit the Deebo Samuel/Brandon Aiyuk role in the Shanahan offense. Juju Smith-Fortnite can kick rocks.

All and all, I'd love Robinson, but I bet he gets Franchised. Did they announce that Golladay wasn' getting franchised? Would definitely consider him. Would be cheaper and younger than ARob.

I can't say you guys are wrong (mostly because I live in a fantasy world), but I would stick with Darnold this year, trade down twice to 6, draft Pitts, Najee and the best interior lineman at #34 after signing Thuney, Barrett and a WR in FA as well as some lesser $$ fillers and we're on our way....somewhere.

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
All and all, I'd love Robinson, but I bet he gets Franchised. Did they announce that Golladay wasn' getting franchised? Would definitely consider him. Would be cheaper and younger than ARob.

I can't say you guys are wrong (mostly because I live in a fantasy world), but I would stick with Darnold this year, trade down twice to 6, draft Pitts, Najee and the best interior lineman at #34 after signing Thuney, Barrett and a WR in FA as well as some lesser $$ fillers and we're on our way....somewhere.

Robinson just got tagged. There's a source reporting that Golladay isn't.

I see the advantages of that plan as well. Cons would be- if Darnold plays well then he commands a lot more $$$ coming off the rookie deal. And if he sucks, you're back in the QB draft market again with Sam Howell (who I like) and Spencer Rattler?

Tough call for JD, I don't envy his position.

Quickdraw2828

Aug 2, 2011

I see the advantages of that plan as well. Cons would be- if Darnold plays well then he commands a lot more $$$ coming off the rookie deal. And if he sucks, you're back in the QB draft market again with Sam Howell (who I like) and Spencer Rattler?

If they draft Z Wilson and he busts like Darnold the team is screwed. I'm a little concerned about Z's easy schedule, it's a bit like playing the Buffalo Sabres all the time-big stats. The only safe thing to do at QB is get R Wilson or Watson. Watson might be too pricey. I have absolutely no idea what will happen.

Reactions: Mr Misunderstood

crasherino

May 9, 2013

What I do if I were the Jets (and I'm not 100% this is allowed), is to approach Darnold and look to restructure. I don't want to guarantee his 5th year - which will be upwards of $25m or so, so why not restructure with more money this year AND guaranteed money for next year - in the $12m or so range - so he's guaranteed real dollars next year. Otherwise, if he's traded or waived, he's not guaranteed anything and if he doesn't start this year, he's guaranteed nothing next year.

No team that trades for him will pick up his 5th year so he's basically flying without a net if he goes elsewhere. Here, if we renegotiate, we limit our commitment for next year, allowing us to start over if need be, but also have him locked up for this year and next. If he shows that he's our franchise QB, then we pay the guy. But at least we keep our options open without paying franchise QB dollars for a guy who potentially will be a bust by then.

Edit - looks like 5th year options just came out - Darnold will be $18m and change. Not as bad as $25m obviously.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mr Misunderstood

Lights911

Dec 5, 2017
Long Island
Should be an interesting next few weeks, I’d like to see the Jets add an offensive lineman (Thuney or Linsley), probably a receiver (someone like Samuel) and I bet they go after Sherman. I think they trade Sam, if they can get a 2nd I’d be happy. This draft and next years draft will be huge for the franchise, Douglas will have to hit on every pick.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->