OT: The Football Thread

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Lol, that is exactly what I was thinking too. Although the Chargers job is very interesting. I am a big fan of the talent they have acquired, now they just need to find the right coach (Anthony Lynn was a nightmare), build up the oline and get some help in the secondary.

Of course they also need to find a way to keep Bosa on the field. To do that, they might want to find him a helmet that fits and also teach him to tackle properly. He seems like a player who got by for so long on sheer athleticism, without regard for form, so he abuses his body resulting in numerous unnecessary injuries.

But...

Dean Spanos is a nightmare owner. If the Chargers basically feel like the most irrelevant/you never take them seriously franchise in the NFL it's because it's basically how Spanos treats them.

The same way the Isles were never winning with wang, most all those teams are not winning with their owners...And the Chargers are one of them.

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
But...

Dean Spanos is a nightmare owner. If the Chargers basically feel like the most irrelevant/you never take them seriously franchise in the NFL it's because it's basically how Spanos treats them.

The same way the Isles were never winning with wang, most all those teams are not winning with their owners...And the Chargers are one of them.
are you talking about the Jets or Chargers? :naughty:

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
If the Jets definitely opt to move on from Darnold, either the Saints or 49ers would be perfect landing spots for him.
What's a realistic return for Darnold? I'm a 49er fan, definitely not giving up our first (12OA), but would give up our 2nd (43OA).

What's reasonable?

The Real JT

The slate is clean. LGI
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
But...

That goes double for Dan Snyder.

The Johnson's are some higher multiple of that.

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
But...

Spanos is definitely a nightmare owner, however, the Chargers had a terrific run from 2006-2009. They were arguably the second-best team in the NFL, they just landed during the Patriots dynasty. So, while Spanos is a wretch, he has had more periodic success than most of the other bad owners in the league.

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
What's a realistic return for Darnold? I'm a 49er fan, definitely not giving up our first (12OA), but would give up our 2nd (43OA).

What's reasonable?

My gut feeling is that at the high end, a second rounder plus say a fifth would do it. I was even thinking it could be as low as something like two thirds.

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
Sites have started rolling out mock drafts and prospect lists now, with the top-18 teams set.

Obviously a lot will depend on the combine and individual workouts to come.

So far, this is one list that, while a bit simplistic, is interesting: 2021 NFL Draft Prospect - Position Rankings

I would say that a player like Kwity Paye is too high (can you tell I am not a fan, lol) and Jaycee Horn is probably too low, but for a basic listing and first pass, I don't think it is terrible.

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
If you're Joe Douglas you have to do anything you can to get Deshaun Watson, including trading the #2OA pick.

You hope whoever you select at #2 will be as good as DW4 and he's only 25. So it's not like you are going after someone like Stafford who is already 32 and trading 10 years.

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
Harbaugh is staying at Michigan.

Jets' fans breathe a sigh of relief.

Lol, he would have been a disaster in New York. To me, he is one of the more overrated "top" coaches out there. I believe he has failed at Michigan primarily due to recruiting, or lack thereof, and his stubborn nature that remains inflexible to change.

Reactions: The Real JT

The Real JT

The slate is clean. LGI
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
I'm surprised this hasn't come up yet but Bill Belichick receiving the Presidential Medal of Freedom?

Wow. Just wow.

Last edited:

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
Spanos is definitely a nightmare owner, however, the Chargers had a terrific run from 2006-2009. They were arguably the second-best team in the NFL, they just landed during the Patriots dynasty. So, while Spanos is a wretch, he has had more periodic success than most of the other bad owners in the league.

In all fairness though...how much of that was Tomlinson being one of the best RB's ever?

Anyways let's go Bucs!

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
In all fairness though...how much of that was Tomlinson being one of the best RB's ever?

Anyways let's go Bucs!

I think it was more about the overall level of talent that they collected, especially offensively, with GM A.J. Smith and his scouts doing a fantastic job.

Tomlinson was a stud, but let's not forget that they also had Michael Turner (who totaled 7,338 rushing yards, including individual seasons of 1,699, 1,371 and 1,340 yards with Atlanta after leaving SD), Darren Sproles (19,696 total all-purpose yards) and an all-pro FB in Lorenzo Neal.

That might have been one of the most talented RB rooms in NFL history.

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
Mac Jones has had touch like Tom Brady in the first half.

Looking real good so far.

Meanwhile DeVonta Smith showing you the great (his talent and professionalism on the field) combined with the fear (his size and slight build).

I love watching him play and he would help the Giants immensely, but I am also really worried about how he will hold up.

I just hope he doesn't end up with the Eagles. After that tank job, they don't deserve a player like Smith. I hope they get a complete bust at #6.

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
Jets hired Saleh

tenor.gif

Reactions: Lights911

Quickdraw2828

Aug 2, 2011
Lamar Jackson was so bad yesterday that he probably dragged Justin Fields even further down the first round.

Quickdraw2828

Aug 2, 2011
What a heartbreaker for the Browns fans. I'll take satisfaction that some of those fans were the same who celebrated after the disastrous Gastineau unsportsmanlike penalty.

F - em.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad