OT: The Football Thread

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
Giants take Toney. Don't love the pick.

I am a Gators fan and would have, preferred that other Florida offensive weapon, lol, or taken Bateman, no question.

But I see the idea of adding Toney's unique ability. If the light truly came on for him this season, to an offense of Barkley, Golladay, Slayton, Shepard, Rudolph and Stone Hands (if he is still around), means no more excuses for Daniel Jones.

But the biggest gain is the extra first rounder (the fourth rounder doesn't hurt either) next season. If Jones doesn't progress, the Giants have the ammo to go up and get the QB they want next season.

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
Coming up for the Jets: Asante Samuel Jr, Azeez Ojulari, Elijah Moore, Landon Dickerson, Creed Humphrey, Teven Jenkins...so they have options.

Wouldn't mind if they dropped back a little with the Bengals to recoup some picks if Jenkins is still there at 34. They went WR first round so you'd have to think they HAVE to go OL with their next pick and Jenkins may be super valuable for them.

Beacon Isles

Feb 20, 2015
Beacon, NY
As a Jets fan, very happy with the move to get AVT. I too have a feeling they may look to recoup at least one of the 3rds they gave up, by trading down from 34 or trading up into the end of the 3rd.

There's quite a few players still on the board, thanks to, in my opinion, a rather reachy last 10-12 picks in the first round. Definitely a few teams took guys I would have thought were 2nd rounders at best last night.

Beacon Isles

Feb 20, 2015
Beacon, NY
How did the other NFL teams let Belichick get Mac daddy

Call me crazy, Im not a huge fan of Mac Jones. I think he's safe... high floor / low ceiling. He can step in and be solid, I think, but I dont seem him becoming a star.

As for why he was there... Jax, Jets, SF and Chi took the four QBs I thought have higher upside than Mac. Denver, I was surprised passed on Fields. Nobody else in the top 15 really needed a QB. A little surprised Washington didnt try to make a move to grab a QB, but guessing they didnt have Mac rated all that highly?

Reactions: danteipp

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Call me crazy, Im not a huge fan of Mac Jones. I think he's safe... high floor / low ceiling. He can step in and be solid, I think, but I dont seem him becoming a star.

As for why he was there... Jax, Jets, SF and Chi took the four QBs I thought have higher upside than Mac. Denver, I was surprised passed on Fields. Nobody else in the top 15 really needed a QB. A little surprised Washington didnt try to make a move to grab a QB, but guessing they didnt have Mac rated all that highly?

Broncos fans are livid that they passed on Fields, I'm not one of them. I always wanted a top flight CB and got one. The other CB's are on 1-year deals or are injury prone so adding a long term piece was a top need. I liked Farley, but you can't ignore the durability concerns. Surtain is plug and play, I was pleasantly surprised by his testing numbers as they were better than expected.

I never liked Fields, his game bothers me and I can't ignore the OSU QB stigma. There is also a lot of buzz that Denver is the frontrunner for Aaron Rodgers.

Not a fan of Mac Jones either, I wouldn't be all that annoyed that Belicheat got him. Seems very Andy Dalton to me.

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC

By all accounts he's a smart, safe, accurate QB. I just think that type of guy who has played a high level of competition and coached at a high level in the hands of Belichick is dangerous.

Anywhere else? He's probably Candy Dalton, but up in New England he can thrive.

Beacon Isles

Feb 20, 2015
Beacon, NY
By all accounts he's a smart, safe, accurate QB. I just think that type of guy who has played a high level of competition and coached at a high level in the hands of Belichick is dangerous.

Anywhere else? He's probably Candy Dalton, but up in New England he can thrive.

Very true. He ended up in possibly the best situation for him to be in. Give him the right talent, in a high percentage passing offense, and he should be solid.

Reactions: Mr Misunderstood

crasherino

May 9, 2013
Coming up for the Jets: Asante Samuel Jr, Azeez Ojulari, Elijah Moore, Landon Dickerson, Creed Humphrey, Teven Jenkins...so they have options.

Wouldn't mind if they dropped back a little with the Bengals to recoup some picks if Jenkins is still there at 34. They went WR first round so you'd have to think they HAVE to go OL with their next pick and Jenkins may be super valuable for them.
I too would love to drop down and get back into the third but it seems like Samuel Jr. is too much of a need meets value type situation - I can't see how they can not take him. Assuming we come out of our first 3 picks with a QB, the top G and one of the top CBs, we have some huge holes filled. We could always trade up from our 4th and get back into the 3rd and take a Safety or another depth Lineman or LB.

After Samuel, I think there's a big drop to the next CB. I could be mistaken though.

crasherino

May 9, 2013

I'm of the same mind. Whenever I see Jones, I see AJ McCarron part deux. I haven't seen him make a throw into a window like we've seen Wilson do. Maybe its because he hasn't had to - and he certainly throws a pretty ball, but, I'm not fully convinced right now. I definitely agree on the high floor/low ceiling description.

Jones also reminds me a bit of Pennington. Chad was a smart QB, threw a pretty deep ball when Randy Moss was going up for it (with separation) and could put some mustard on the ball when he had a clean pocket to step up in. You don't often have that clean pocket and huge advantage at the WR position in the NFL. You'll need to throw an out pattern from the opposite hash with a guy in your face into a real tight window. Irrespective of the level of competition he faced, Wilson did that - while on the move. Haven't really seen Mac do the same and I question whether he can.

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
I too would love to drop down and get back into the third but it seems like Samuel Jr. is too much of a need meets value type situation - I can't see how they can not take him. Assuming we come out of our first 3 picks with a QB, the top G and one of the top CBs, we have some huge holes filled. We could always trade up from our 4th and get back into the 3rd and take a Safety or another depth Lineman or LB.

After Samuel, I think there's a big drop to the next CB. I could be mistaken though.

On paper I 100% agree with you, right now the glaring need is CB with QB and OL filled (somewhat).

There was an interesting statistic floating around about how under a Saleh defense, the team has never drafted a corner higher than the 3rd round. Particularly because Saleh's defense is more predicated on zone, so a man-to-man corner isn't seen as valuable in his scheme.

If Saleh assures JD that he can survive without one of the top corners - but find a few of them later in the draft, because the Jets sure need them - I could see JD going the route of "protect and support Zach Wilson at all costs" with another OL or WR.

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
The Giants are doing work, Toney and Azeez, plus four extra picks the next two years? That works.

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
Absolutely what I would do, it's not like the jets are going to make the playoffs next year. Let them give up a lot of points, what's important is not making Wilson another Darnold.

Yup, and that’s exactly what they did. I like the Elijah Moore pick, gives Wilson a security blanket slot after Crowder is gone.

He’s also a chess piece guy for LaFleur to use in the Deebo Samuel role.

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
It will go unnoticed by the talking heads, but it appears the Giants leapfrogged the Eagles in the third round to select UCF CB Aaron Robinson, a big DB who can play inside or outside alongside James Bradberry and Adoree’ Jackson with the Giants.

With those two vets already onboard, I assume Robinson starts at slot corner and allows Graham to play a lot of man-to-man coverage, which is his stated goal after being forced into too much zone coverage last season.

Robinson was a standout at the Senior Bowl, shutting down slot WRs, and ran a 4.38 in the 40 at his pro day, which is faster than Surtain or Samuel.

Now there is nowhere for the Iggles to hide their dwarf, first-round WR and they ended up reaching for an inferior CB in the fourth round in Zech McPhearson.

Oh, have I said it yet? Screw those tanking mother F's and their dirtbag GM and owner!

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
Well, with another domination of the Raggie$ by the Isles and both the Jets and Giants doing well in the NFL draft, although it takes at least 3-5 years to truly judge a NFL draft class, let's bump this thread and ekep the discussion going - for us NFL and fantasy football fans hanging round these parts.

I am a Giants fan but love the Jets picks of Vera-Tucker (he should dominate the interior o-line for years to come), Moore and Michael Carter (the RB, just to be clear, lol). Moore is my No. 4 WR after Chase, Bateman and Waddle, yes, I have a weird fixation on Bateman. Much like Justin Jefferson, Tee Higgins, Michael Thomas and Laquon Treadwell before that. For the life of me, I still cannot figure out what happened to Treadwell. His hands and jump-ball ability were so strong in college, then he just died in the pros.

I haven't done any real research on the college QBs, because I have Russell Wilson and Justin Herbert locked up as my QB keepers for the next four years. But I will start looking into them now based on their landing spots and I really hope Wilson pans out for the Jets. I love when every division is competitive and comes down to the wire.

That said, I am unlikely to bid on Wilson, because there are too many insane Jets fans in my FF league who will throw big money on him. Although I might throw a low bid on Sam Darnold now, since he should come dirt cheap and I already have DJ Moore. I can't wait to see what Moore can do without Terrible Teddy throwing up murder balls.

I also like the late fliers on Nasirildeen, Echols (practice squad player to start?) and Marshall.

Add in (I believe 12 picks in 2022) for the Jets, with 10 picks for the Giants, and both teams should be looking up. Although I am hoping to garner one more draft pick by trading Evan "Stone Hands" Engram at some point down the line. I would happily take a fourth rounder for him from a team that needs a "TE".

As for the Giants, I was frightened to death of Devonta Smith at #11. I see the utility for a couple seasons, but not long term, given his size and need for a burner or big WR opposite him to draw away coverage.

Give me a multi-faceted receiving core of Golladay, Shepard, Slayton, Toney, Dante Pettis (very underrated if he gets it together and plays more physical), CJ Board (for specials) and Austin Mack (on the practice squad). I don't think John Ross makes the final roster, despite elite speed barring a huge turnaround in his game.

Add in Barkley, assuming he is and can stay healthy, and Booker (who I really like around RB #40 or so), plus Toney, and Daniel Jones is out of excuses.

Azeez Ojulari, Elerson Smith, Lorenzo Carter, Oshane Ximines and Niko Lalos (maybe Carter Coughlin too) should allow Graham to bring pressure from the edges and the Giants have 6-8 capable DBs now.

I am a big fan of the trio of James Bradberry, Adoree' Jackson and Aaron Robinson (I think he is going to stuff slot WRs) plus the hybrid DBs of McKinney, Peppers and Logan Ryan, which should finally allow the Giants to cover TEs. Some mix of Julian Love, Isaac Yiadom and Darnay Scott should round out the mix. Although I expect to lose at least one.

That should allow plenty of man-to-man play, the only real question is who plays next to Blake Martinez on defense?

Because the Giants reserve LBs are terrible. Tae Crowder and Devante Downs have been borderline putrid although, if I have hope for either of them, it would be Crowder. Although maybe Reggie Ragland can finally hit his potential on early downs and they mix and match in that final spot.

But I think both the Jets and Giants have set themselves up well going forward.

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
Well, with another domination of the Raggie$ by the Isles and both the Jets and Giants doing well in the NFL draft, although it takes at least 3-5 years to truly judge a NFL draft class, let's bump this thread and ekep the discussion going - for us NFL and fantasy football fans hanging round these parts.

I am a Giants fan but love the Jets picks of Vera-Tucker (he should dominate the interior o-line for years to come), Moore and Michael Carter (the RB, just to be clear, lol). Moore is my No. 4 WR after Chase, Bateman and Waddle, yes, I have a weird fixation on Bateman. Much like Justin Jefferson, Tee Higgins, Michael Thomas and Laquon Treadwell before that. For the life of me, I still cannot figure out what happened to Treadwell. His hands and jump-ball ability were so strong in college, then he just died in the pros.

I haven't done any real research on the college QBs, because I have Russell Wilson and Justin Herbert locked up as my QB keepers for the next four years. But I will start looking into them now based on their landing spots and I really hope Wilson pans out for the Jets. I love when every division is competitive and comes down to the wire.

That said, I am unlikely to bid on Wilson, because there are too many insane Jets fans in my FF league who will throw big money on him. Although I might throw a low bid on Sam Darnold now, since he should come dirt cheap and I already have DJ Moore. I can't wait to see what Moore can do without Terrible Teddy throwing up murder balls.

I also like the late fliers on Nasirildeen, Echols (practice squad player to start?) and Marshall.

Add in (I believe 12 picks in 2022) for the Jets, with 10 picks for the Giants, and both teams should be looking up. Although I am hoping to garner one more draft pick by trading Evan "Stone Hands" Engram at some point down the line. I would happily take a fourth rounder for him from a team that needs a "TE".

As for the Giants, I was frightened to death of Devonta Smith at #11. I see the utility for a couple seasons, but not long term, given his size and need for a burner or big WR opposite him to draw away coverage.

Give me a multi-faceted receiving core of Golladay, Shepard, Slayton, Toney, Dante Pettis (very underrated if he gets it together and plays more physical), CJ Board (for specials) and Austin Mack (on the practice squad). I don't think John Ross makes the final roster, despite elite speed barring a huge turnaround in his game.

Add in Barkley, assuming he is and can stay healthy, and Booker (who I really like around RB #40 or so), plus Toney, and Daniel Jones is out of excuses.

Azeez Ojulari, Elerson Smith, Lorenzo Carter, Oshane Ximines and Niko Lalos (maybe Carter Coughlin too) should allow Graham to bring pressure from the edges and the Giants have 6-8 capable DBs now.

I am a big fan of the trio of James Bradberry, Adoree' Jackson and Aaron Robinson (I think he is going to stuff slot WRs) plus the hybrid DBs of McKinney, Peppers and Logan Ryan, which should finally allow the Giants to cover TEs. Some mix of Julian Love, Isaac Yiadom and Darnay Scott should round out the mix. Although I expect to lose at least one.

That should allow plenty of man-to-man play, the only real question is who plays next to Blake Martinez on defense?

Because the Giants reserve LBs are terrible. Tae Crowder and Devante Downs have been borderline putrid although, if I have hope for either of them, it would be Crowder. Although maybe Reggie Ragland can finally hit his potential on early downs and they mix and match in that final spot.

But I think both the Jets and Giants have set themselves up well going forward.

Treadwell had a bad lower leg / ankle / foot injury in one of the last games of his college career and didn’t look the same since. I was a big fan too, but that could’ve been it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->