OT: The Football Thread

Sparksrus3

NYI - THE TEAM WITH NO ❤️
Jun 2, 2012
Maybe someone who watched yesterday can answer this question . Is there now a 2nd National Anthem played before or after the real one ? I will leave it at that . Easy to figure out what I mean .

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Nope, I know he is the problem. Just like Charles Wang and the Wilpons.

Luckily, as of yesterday, 2/3 of my teams have somehow wriggled of the hands of wretched ownership.

While I assume there's no question they improved their ownership situation (because how could it be worse), but did they add a World Series level owner? Lord knows many were psyched around here when the "gang of 4" was replaced...And then Spano...

It took no less than 3 tries for the Isles to finally ownership who get it.

Reactions: Mr Misunderstood

The Real JT

In Lou We Trust: Just kidding
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut

It's so hard to be a Jets' fan.

I generally don't want to be that kind of fan but I want them to lose nearly every game and get the first pick.

Is there a catchy phrase for tanking to get Trevor Lawrence like the old "Suck for Luck"?​

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
It's so hard to be a Jets' fan.

I generally don't want to be that kind of fan but I want them to lose nearly every game and get the first pick.

Is there a catchy phrase for tanking to get Trevor Lawrence like the old "Suck for Luck"?​

Don't be better so we can get Trevor?
Don't play de-fense so we can get Law-rence?

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
Even if the Jets do get Lawerence make no mistake about it the Jets ruined Darnold. I do not even want to go into the long list of reasons why they never gave Darnold a shot, but if they do somehow get Lawerence if they hire a high school level coach and give him college level WR's they would put him in a better position than they did Darnold.

Absolutely livid and until they give a QB a chance I will just believe they will be a bust.

Reactions: The Real JT

The Real JT

Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
Even if the Jets do get Lawerence make no mistake about it the Jets ruined Darnold. I do not even want to go into the long list of reasons why they never gave Darnold a shot, but if they do somehow get Lawerence if they hire a high school level coach and give him college level WR's they would put him in a better position than they did Darnold.

Absolutely livid and until they give a QB a chance I will just believe they will be a bust.

While I agree with you that they ruined Darnold, I would move on from him in a heartbeat if they got Lawrence.

The Jets need to take a page from the Isles' playbook. New owner, new coach.

The new owner won't happen of course.

As for the coach, it's not hindsight to say that the Gase hire was one of the worst personnel decisions the franchise ever made. And I could have said that with confidence before he even coached a single game. He's now approaching Kotite level ineptitude.

Reactions: BTrotts19

BTrotts19

May 17, 2013
LI, NY
While I agree with you that they ruined Darnold, I would move on from him in a heartbeat if they got Lawrence.

The Jets need to take a page from the Isles' playbook. New owner, new coach.

The new owner won't happen of course.

As for the coach, it's not hindsight to say that the Gase hire was one of the worst personnel decisions the franchise ever made. And I could have said that with confidence before he even coached a single game. He's now approaching Kotite level ineptitude.

It is nearly impossible to have a nightmare of an owner and have a successful sports team. The Islander analogy is perfect for the Jets (and formally the Mets, i hope). Jets desperately need new ownership who will hire competent management and get the hell out of the way. I hope Douglas is the guy and he's been handcuffed by the Johnsons & that will be fixed well before Lawrence can opt in/out of declaring for the draft. Im fearful the kid either opts to stay at Clemson or flat out tells the Jets he won't play for them & forces a trade.

Islanders4Cups

May 4, 2002
Boston, MA USA
And Adam Gase struggles as did Doug Weight. Ruining a good young QB falls on Gase, and Douglas is certainly under scrutiny now in his building of this roster and personnel moves. The Johnsons are what they are, Incompetent owners who need someone to guide them to a proven NFL front office. Sound familiar?

Last edited:

The Real JT

Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
I hope Douglas is the guy and he's been handcuffed by the Johnsons & that will be fixed well before Lawrence can opt in/out of declaring for the draft. Im fearful the kid either opts to stay at Clemson or flat out tells the Jets he won't play for them & forces a trade.

This may be a crazy thought but assuming the Jets get #1 OA, could the Jets take a page from the Isles Varly/Sorokin recruitment strategy?

Sign Dabo Swinney as the new coach and that locks in Lawrence.

Personally, I'm not a fan of college to NFL coaches but if that's what it takes to land Lawrence then I say "Do it".

Seriously, anyone after Gase will be a step up.

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
This may be a crazy thought but assuming the Jets get #1 OA, could the Jets take a page from the Isles Varly/Sorokin recruitment strategy?

Personally, I'm not a fan of college to NFL coaches but if that's what it takes to land Lawrence then I say "Do it".

Dabo in NY would be a disaster. If he goes anywhere, it would be Houston to coach Watson.

But, I would be shocked if he left Clemson.

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina

If we have learned anything from the JT saga it would be that if a high level coach becomes available I would take my chances with a great coach and keeping Darnold rather than taking a QB that will only come to us if we choose one specific coach.

MattMartin

Killer Instinct™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island
The Jets should Draft Lawrence and trade Darnold for OBJ...Don't @ me. Makes a lot of sense for the Jets to grab a #1 QB (for once) and have a #1WR to start him with. Win/Win for both teams.

MattMartin

Killer Instinct™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island
And the Browns do what with Baker?

2 options.

1) Trade him as part of the deal since he is only on the books for 1 more year and get a pick or make the Browns take back a player of = value salary wise.

2) Unload him somewhere else for anything. I know it's 8 million, but again, just for 1 year.

Edit: And look at this (posted 4 hours ago)...

Could the Browns and Jets move on from their quarterbacks? A May deadline looms

Won't hurt to make a call, especially since the Browns have pieces to do something if they feel Darnold can step right in. They have the best 1/2 punch at RB by a mile. Plenty of TE talent and Landry (he is only 27).

Last edited:

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
2 options.

1) Trade him as part of the deal since he is only on the books for 1 more year and get a pick or make the Browns take back a player of = value salary wise.

2) Unload him somewhere else for anything. I know it's 8 million, but again, just for 1 year.

Edit: And look at this (posted 4 hours ago)...

Could the Browns and Jets move on from their quarterbacks? A May deadline looms

Won't hurt to make a call, especially since the Browns have pieces to do something if they feel Darnold can step right in. They have the best 1/2 punch at RB by a mile. Plenty of TE talent and Landry (he is only 27).

Interesting, although I do think Baker fits what the Browns are all about now it's just that he's hurt right now. He's a good out of the pocket, bootleg type guy that fits their playaction game.

I just don't know if I am all that interested in OBJ. If the Jets take a year or two to surround Lawrence with better protection on the O-line and truly ascend, is he going to be a guy that is okay with that?

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
And Adam Gase struggles as did Doug Weight. Ruining a good young QB falls on Gase, and Douglas is certainly under scrutiny now in his building of this roster and personnel moves. The Johnsons are what they are, Incompetent owners who need someone to guide them to a proven NFL front office. Sound familiar?

Oh it sounds familiar all right. However much like that "familiar" situation until they sell the Jets will continue to be a pre-2018 Isles-style embarrassment.

Reactions: Mr Misunderstood

Quickdraw2828

Aug 2, 2011
The Jets should Draft Lawrence and trade Darnold for OBJ...Don't @ me. Makes a lot of sense for the Jets to grab a #1 QB (for once) and have a #1WR to start him with. Win/Win for both teams.

I bet Lawrence pulls an Eli Manning if Jets draft him. My concern about Lawrence is he has long legs about the circumference of my forearm. I don't see how they don't just snap in the nfl.

Taluss

Jul 28, 2018
NYC

Darmold isn't worth OBJ imo. I think you keep him and see what comes out of him because I believe the return will be underwhelming atm.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->