OT: The Football Thread 2019-20

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
So the tuck rule, spygate, inflategate, and now spygate part 2. Am I missing anything?

Too many to count. It's clear the Pat's have no moral compass, they are the gold standard of cheaters in sports. The Bengals are the worst team in the league yet that have to spy on them to beat them? That disgusts me. Same with the Astros. There is no telling how many people the cheating has affected over the years. Makes me question how great they really were.

Reactions: periferal

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
A week out from the NFL Draft, who do the Giants fans want at #4?

As a Jets fan I'm cool with any of the top 4 Tackles (Wirfs, Wills, Thomas or Becton) or Lamb/Jeudy if they stay at #11.
And as along as they strictly draft OT, IOL, WR or CB in the first 4 rounds, I'll be happy.

Lights911

Dec 5, 2017
Long Island
A week out from the NFL Draft, who do the Giants fans want at #4?

As a Jets fan I'm cool with any of the top 4 Tackles (Wirfs, Wills, Thomas or Becton) or Lamb/Jeudy if they stay at #11.
And as along as they strictly draft OT, IOL, WR or CB in the first 4 rounds, I'll be happy.
I’m a Jets fan so I’m hoping for Thomas at 11 and Michael Pittman Jr from our 2nd rounder. For the Giants I could see them picking either Simmons or one of the tackles.

Reactions: YearlyLottery

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
I’m a Jets fan so I’m hoping for Thomas at 11 and Michael Pittman Jr from our 2nd rounder. For the Giants I could see them picking either Simmons or one of the tackles.

Yeah, just curious as to which Giants fans would prefer. Simmons is probably the better player and would help a defense that was awful last season, but one of those Top 4 Tackles would be huge for Danny Dimes and Saquon.

Better/more impactful player vs. safer pick

The Real JT

No diving allowed
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut

Jets’ fan here. I’m all in on picking an OLman, especially with the draft capital they spent on Darnold and the $ on Bell.

Amazing stat for the Jets is that they have drafted only 2 OLmen in the last 30 years.

Their names are Nick Mangold and D’Brickashaw Ferguson.

Their other first rounders in the last 30 years...not so good.

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
As a Giants fan, I can understand drafting Simmons first, then trying to grab one of the second-tier OTs in the second round or moving up a few spots. It is definitely a gamble to pass on one of the big four, but that second group of OTs also looks very good.

Of course the safe choice is to grab the best OT on your board and I like Thomas first (as a Gators and SEC fan I have seen a lot of him), then Wills and Wirf about the same, with Becton more of a gamble. Sure he is big and fast in terms of straight line speed, but I am a little nervous about how he will match up with speed rushers in the NFL and if he can be a LT down the line.

Of course the best move is probably to trade down a few spots, get some extra picks (at least a second and third) and still probably land one of the OTs in the first round.

The dream scenario would be to trade down with either the Chargers or Dolphins and land Simmons first, then with their second rounder and the extra second via trade, get someone from that second group of OTs and one of the top center prospects like Cleveland/Jackson at OT and Ruiz at C.

Unless something crazy happens, it should be a good day for Giants fans.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
As a Giants fan, I can understand drafting Simmons first, then trying to grab one of the second-tier OTs in the second round or moving up a few spots. It is definitely a gamble to pass on one of the big four, but that second group of OTs also looks very good.

Of course the safe choice is to grab the best OT on your board and I like Thomas first (as a Gators and SEC fan I have seen a lot of him), then Wills and Wirf about the same, with Becton more of a gamble. Sure he is big and fast in terms of straight line speed, but I am a little nervous about how he will match up with speed rushers in the NFL and if he can be a LT down the line.

Of course the best move is probably to trade down a few spots, get some extra picks (at least a second and third) and still probably land one of the OTs in the first round.

The dream scenario would be to trade down with either the Chargers or Dolphins and land Simmons first, then with their second rounder and the extra second via trade, get someone from that second group of OTs and one of the top center prospects like Cleveland/Jackson at OT and Ruiz at C.

Unless something crazy happens, it should be a good day for Giants fans.

Simmons is a freak of nature and an amazing chess piece for the defense. Aside from Chase Young, he is probably the premier defensive game wrecker (along with Okudah) in the class. The only issue I have is the positional value, off ball LB is a bit meh compared to the big money positions (QB, pass rusher, CB, OT). Simmons is a hybrid and can play all over and be the alpha of the defense though. The Giants defense is mediocre at best and he could transform it as the centerpiece.

I like the OT's, but Simmons is mouth wateringly good. There are quite a few OT's in this draft class that could be had in the 2nd. Not a bad idea to take an OT at #4 and get someone like Jeremy Chinn (love this kid, poor man's Simmons). Is the top OT and a 2nd round defensive player in the 2nd OR Simmons and a 2nd round OT?

Gettleman is a dumb ass with his stupid Boston accent so hopefully he doesn't f*** it up. Trading down would be smart, but I don't think he has ever traded down.

As a Broncos fan (I grew up idolizing Elway), I am praying one of the top WR's isn't the pick at #15 like everyone thinks. Such an amazing class, a 2nd round WR is typically a high end 1st rounder in other years. I am kind of hoping for CJ Henderson or Kinlaw, high end defensive players and get a WR at #46.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
Am I the only one that thinks the Bengals would be crazy to take Burrows 1st OA?

Even if he lives up to the hype, that O-line is putrid. They’ll scrape him off the turf 10 times per game.

The Bengals would be better served to just take Chase Young, then grab the best OL available at 33 (maybe Ruiz is there, or Cleveland). Maybe double down and go OL at 65 as well.

I only see Burrows marginally outperforming Dalton in year 1, so at best maybe they’re a 4 win team?

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
With guys such as Deebo Samuel, DK Metcalf, Mecole Hardman, and AJ Brown falling to round 2 the Jets need to go OL round 1 and WR round 2. If one of the top OL fall Douglas has got to make the move. He has had a good offseason.

This Becton move reminds me of Tunsil falling.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Am I the only one that thinks the Bengals would be crazy to take Burrows 1st OA?

Even if he lives up to the hype, that O-line is putrid. They’ll scrape him off the turf 10 times per game.

The Bengals would be better served to just take Chase Young, then grab the best OL available at 33 (maybe Ruiz is there, or Cleveland). Maybe double down and go OL at 65 as well.

I only see Burrows marginally outperforming Dalton in year 1, so at best maybe they’re a 4 win team?

Burrow doesn't excite me either, but it's pretty much locked in at this point. He's a local kid too and the fan base would riot if they bypass him. Trevor Lawrence looks sick for next year, but teams don't tank like that.

Chase Young is a beast, reminds me of Denver taking Von Miller 2nd overall. There was a lot of talk of Marcel Dareus and Patrick Peterson that year, but the generational pass rusher was the right choice. I did love Peterson though and Miller was a bit of a sleeper when draft season started.

I do question if Burrow is a true franchise QB like a young Brady or maxes out as a pretender like Jared Goff, another relatively weak armed yet cerebral player. The Bengals are all in on that bet though.

It's a tough call on the potential Miller type of impact pass rusher or a likely non top-5/10 NFL QB. It's the whole franchise C vs. franchise D dynamic. If Burrow had a better arm then I wouldn't be as nervous about him. He has the weakest out of all the top QB's in this class.

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
I don't necessarily have questions about Burrows, but I fear for him going to the Bengals. They are a dumpster fire. The fish rots from the head down and their owner is putrid.

In an ideal world, they would get their QB two years from now, after they have built up the team with two more drafts and free agency signings.

If I was the Bengals GM, and the pressure is on him to draft Burrows, I would throw Dalton to the wolves for at least the first 8 games. No way am I letting my franchise QB get killed, a la David Carr, for an entire season.

Islanders4Cups

May 4, 2002
Boston, MA USA
Let me just say Burrow is a winner and if the Bengals do not take him, then look out because Belichick will pounce and we may be watching another Pats decade.
I think it is safe to say Bengals will take Burrow though so look out for a Pats move for Tua.

Jets need to build their OL and find weapons who can catch and run.

Reactions: The Real JT

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
Simmons is a freak of nature and an amazing chess piece for the defense. Aside from Chase Young, he is probably the premier defensive game wrecker (along with Okudah) in the class. The only issue I have is the positional value, off ball LB is a bit meh compared to the big money positions (QB, pass rusher, CB, OT). Simmons is a hybrid and can play all over and be the alpha of the defense though. The Giants defense is mediocre at best and he could transform it as the centerpiece.

I like the OT's, but Simmons is mouth wateringly good. There are quite a few OT's in this draft class that could be had in the 2nd. Not a bad idea to take an OT at #4 and get someone like Jeremy Chinn (love this kid, poor man's Simmons). Is the top OT and a 2nd round defensive player in the 2nd OR Simmons and a 2nd round OT?

Gettleman is a dumb ass with his stupid Boston accent so hopefully he doesn't f*** it up. Trading down would be smart, but I don't think he has ever traded down.

As a Broncos fan (I grew up idolizing Elway), I am praying one of the top WR's isn't the pick at #15 like everyone thinks. Such an amazing class, a 2nd round WR is typically a high end 1st rounder in other years. I am kind of hoping for CJ Henderson or Kinlaw, high end defensive players and get a WR at #46.

Great thing we saw from Simmons is that he was absolutely EVERYWHERE in both of the CFP games. Played great in the biggest games of the year. I'm not a Giants fan, but from an outsiders perspective it would be hard to justify taking a position-less defensive player over a tackle at #4 considering your last two 1st rounders were QB and RB respectively.

From the Jets, I will be okay with either WR-OT or OT-WR for the first two picks but I think you could get great value in the 2nd for a WR like Pittman, Higgins, Hamler, Shenault, Claypool, etc.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
So G-Men decide on Thomas as their future LT...

Tua to Miami and Herbert to Chargers, things just rolling along as expected. Things should get interesting starting at #7 with the run on QB's pushing talent down the draft board for the Jets and hopefully my Broncos.

Last edited:

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
Like I said earlier, to me Thomas has the highest floor, the length and ability to be a LT in the NFL. He should be a solid player for 10 years and could be more.

If the Giants had a long-term LT in place already, then I might have gone Wills. I think he is going to be a mauler and nightmare to play against.

Wirfs is very good, but not completely sold on him or the mean streak needed.

Becton worries me in pass pro and experience/competition. He has the highest boom or bust potential. It is tough to roll the dice on that when the Giants need more certainty right now.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Like I said earlier, to me Thomas has the highest floor, the length and ability to be a LT in the NFL. He should be a solid player for 10 years and could be more.

If the Giants had a long-term LT in place already, then I might have gone Wills. I think he is going to be a mauler and nightmare to play against.

Wirfs is very good, but not completely sold on him or the mean streak needed.

Becton worries me in pass pro and experience/competition. He has the highest boom or bust potential. It is tough to roll the dice on that when the Giants need more certainty right now.

Thomas is the 'safe' pick out of the OT's, understand the pick. Gettleman going with the double rather than gamble on higher ceiling talents.

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
Thomas is the 'safe' pick out of the OT's, understand the pick. Gettleman going with the double rather than gamble on higher ceiling talents.

It will be interesting to see if Thomas forces Solder to RT immediately or if they wait and do it slowly.

I also really liked what I saw from Nick Gates in spot starts. He could be a player for the Giants down the line.

If the Giants get a center in the second or third round, they will finally have talent and depth along the oline.

Halapio was very unlucky with lower body injuries and never recovered his strength. You can't have that in your center.

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
Becton was a solid pick. I have so much faith in Joe Douglas to make the right choice today as well. Becton blocked all over the damn field for Lamar Jackson he can do the same for Darnold.

Becton's size and skill is off the charts. He just needs to stay dedicated, keep the weight off and continue to work at pass protection. Very interesting prospect.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad