OT: The Football Thread 2019-20

crasherino

May 9, 2013
Might as well make a football thread considering the Jets are actually showing some hope (and the Giants did something too....)

Would be nice if they could sign a Center though. Snapping the ball is usually a prerequisite to handing the ball off to your All Pro Running Back.

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
Missing out on Barr sucks for the Jets. Draft Josh Allen at #3, you would have had a pass rushing duo that fits the defense.

I wouldn't mind Bosa either and I think there is a chance he falls. I also wouldn't mind if the Jets traded back though and recouped some of the assets they lost in the Darnold trade. If their cornerbacks are not going to be strong this season, they need to have an elite pass rush. Which again, is why losing Barr sucks.

I would love to know what made the Jets not interested in Paradis though. That is currently looking like a blow that did not need to happen. Pumped about Bell, pumped about Mosley (although a lot of money), but they cannot be done yet.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
I wouldn't mind Bosa either and I think there is a chance he falls. I also wouldn't mind if the Jets traded back though and recouped some of the assets they lost in the Darnold trade. If their cornerbacks are not going to be strong this season, they need to have an elite pass rush. Which again, is why losing Barr sucks.

I would love to know what made the Jets not interested in Paradis though. That is currently looking like a blow that did not need to happen. Pumped about Bell, pumped about Mosley (although a lot of money), but they cannot be done yet.

As a Broncos fan, Paradis is an excellent player yet there is a lot of wear and tear on him. Denver offered him a 1-year deal, that tells you something. He's had multiple hip surgeries and he isn't overly big for a center either. Wish him the best as he's a warrior, but wasn't comfortable long term with him.

The Jets need a pass rusher badly, the 2nd most important position IMO. Bosa is more of a 4-3 DE, not really a 3-4 LB. Allen is more versatile and is a better system fit. Montez Sweat is pure speed, would also have been a nice fit if Barr signed - in the event of a trade down. I look at Denver with Miller (epitome of a speed rusher) and Chubb who is more similar to the Bosa-type. You can build a defense around an elite pass rush, the way to beat Brady and the Pats.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
If OBJ went anywhere but Cleveland I would be sure this trade was going to blow up in the Giants face. Of course though because it’s Cleveland he will probably bust there as will Mayfield and Haskins or Rosen will win 3 Super Bowls with the Giants.

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
As a Broncos fan, Paradis is an excellent player yet there is a lot of wear and tear on him. Denver offered him a 1-year deal, that tells you something. He's had multiple hip surgeries and he isn't overly big for a center either. Wish him the best as he's a warrior, but wasn't comfortable long term with him.

The Jets need a pass rusher badly, the 2nd most important position IMO. Bosa is more of a 4-3 DE, not really a 3-4 LB. Allen is more versatile and is a better system fit. Montez Sweat is pure speed, would also have been a nice fit if Barr signed - in the event of a trade down. I look at Denver with Miller (epitome of a speed rusher) and Chubb who is more similar to the Bosa-type. You can build a defense around an elite pass rush, the way to beat Brady and the Pats.

Eh, you do make a good point about Allen being more of a system fit. Reading what you are saying about Paradis makes me feel better that the Jets did not sign him though.

crasherino

May 9, 2013

I wouldn't want to leave the top 10 though but if they could drop back and get a pass rusher (Sweat or Gary maybe?), use the extra pick(s) to get a lineman (Center or Tackle),. sign a short term guy (like Wisniewski or Sullivan) and maybe even sign Justin Houston, we'd be doing A-OK.

Problem is, not sure why the Giants would move up to #3 from #6 as I don't know of any other team would want to jump ahead of them - unless its the Dolphins maybe.

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
I wouldn't want to leave the top 10 though but if they could drop back and get a pass rusher (Sweat or Gary maybe?), use the extra pick(s) to get a lineman (Center or Tackle),. sign a short term guy (like Wisniewski or Sullivan) and maybe even sign Justin Houston, we'd be doing A-OK.

Problem is, not sure why the Giants would move up to #3 from #6 as I don't know of any other team would want to jump ahead of them - unless its the Dolphins maybe.

I read on The Athletic that they were not interested in Houston, but that was before they decided to not pursue Paradis.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY

This defensive line class is the best in decades according to many. Some really good pass rushers available of all different types. Bosa is the brute with exceptional hand skills and high motor. Allen is the prototype 3-4 LB, great bend around the edge and can drop back a little. Sweat is pure speed like Beasley from ATL. Gary is a supreme athlete, his production is questionable though. It wouldn't be a bad idea to trade down and still get a high impact player. Do you trust this staff to pick the right guy?

I would stick at #3 and have my pick of any of those guys with the exception of Bosa. I go Allen as I like him better in fit and as a player anyway. Watching the combine, Bosa should ONLY rush the passer because his LB skills looked non-existent. I would take Allen over him if I were the Jets. Get your franchise pass rusher to pair with your franchise QB.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I've said elsewhere on here, but I'm glad Beckham isn't a Giant anymore. A player I just couldn't get behind because he was always about himself and had too many issues, though, none were of the serious variety like legal troubles.

Reactions: FourRings

crasherino

May 9, 2013
This defensive line class is the best in decades according to many. Some really good pass rushers available of all different types. Bosa is the brute with exceptional hand skills and high motor. Allen is the prototype 3-4 LB, great bend around the edge and can drop back a little. Sweat is pure speed like Beasley from ATL. Gary is a supreme athlete, his production is questionable though. It wouldn't be a bad idea to trade down and still get a high impact player. Do you trust this staff to pick the right guy?

I would stick at #3 and have my pick of any of those guys with the exception of Bosa. I go Allen as I like him better in fit and as a player anyway. Watching the combine, Bosa should ONLY rush the passer because his LB skills looked non-existent. I would take Allen over him if I were the Jets. Get your franchise pass rusher to pair with your franchise QB.
And if you stay at #3, you could do worse than putting Q. Williams next to Leonard and watch the Williams Boys cause tremendous havoc.

But if an edge rusher is available, it’s simply too tempting.

I hate not having a 2nd rounder - thats perfect starting OL territory, but that’s the price you pay for hopefully getting a franchise QB.

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
Niners went out and traded for Dee Ford which may mean they are not keen on Bosa or Allen.

If Cards actually go for Murray at 1, the Jets could have their pick of Bosa or Allen at 3. Although I don't see that happening because I'd expect the Niners to trade out of the 2 spot (like 2017) because they don't need Quinnen Williams either with Solomon Thomas and Arik Armstead and Lynch loves trades.

I can't believe this draft is contingent on Josh frigggin Rosen

islesfan186

YES! YES! YES!
Jul 5, 2012
Tennessee
What I don't understand about football is marquis players seem to get traded for what would be considered peanuts in the NHL. Imagine if like Patrick Kane got traded for a 1st, a 3rd, and like a B prospect. HF would literally cease to exist. Yet in the NFL you get guys like Antonio Brown traded for what, a 3rd and a 5th round pick? I don't get it.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
What I don't understand about football is marquis players seem to get traded for what would be considered peanuts in the NHL. Imagine if like Patrick Kane got trade for a 1st, a 3rd, and like a B prospect. HF would literally cease to exist. Yet in the NFL you get guys like Antonio Brown traded for what, a 3rd and a 5th round pick? I don't get it.
Draft picks are more of a sure thing.

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
What I don't understand about football is marquis players seem to get traded for what would be considered peanuts in the NHL. Imagine if like Patrick Kane got traded for a 1st, a 3rd, and like a B prospect. HF would literally cease to exist. Yet in the NFL you get guys like Antonio Brown traded for what, a 3rd and a 5th round pick? I don't get it.

There are a lot of causes for this.

Sometimes it is a personality issue, which is usually the case with diva WRs like Antionio Brown. A lot of teams simply don't want to take the chance on them, so that narrows the market significantly, and salary and contract demands play a big role.

You also have to trade assets for them AND pay them. Then, if it doesn't work out, you could have a large "dead money" cap hit if you have to cut or trade them. That can kill a team for a season or two, which precludes a team from being able to keep their core intact, fill other holes or add quality depth.

Some teams are also scared off by age, more than any other sport there tends to be a physical falloff, so you want to cut or trade a player one year too soon - as opposed to too late.

Some of these guys are simply bat$h!t crazy. And they can tank a locker room and team if the coach isn't strong enough. They get a small group of players on their side and cause problems all season or just outright quit.

Then there are some of these stars who just cannot stay out of trouble. It would be like if Patrick Kane was punching cab drivers every off season, instead of seemingly learning his lesson.

crasherino

May 9, 2013
Niners went out and traded for Dee Ford which may mean they are not keen on Bosa or Allen.

If Cards actually go for Murray at 1, the Jets could have their pick of Bosa or Allen at 3. Although I don't see that happening because I'd expect the Niners to trade out of the 2 spot (like 2017) because they don't need Quinnen Williams either with Solomon Thomas and Arik Armstead and Lynch loves trades.

I can't believe this draft is contingent on Josh frigggin Rosen
Maybe I’m off base but I don’t think dee Ford obviates the need or desire to take Bosa. You can never have too many pass rushers.

But the Jets could very stumble into a great situation. Worst case scenario they get the bowling ball with the butcher knives we thought we were getting with Dewayne Robertson. Nothing wrong with that even if it isn’t our biggest need.

Costigan77

Oct 7, 2014
Manhasset, NY

I’m 36. So in that middle spot. I kind of like them. I really like the helmets. It is a early 90s jet look. Boomer. Neil o donnell. Adrian murrell. Early Hugh Douglas. Chrebet the first two years. They sucked but i was always a fan. I was a Kenny O guy so i like the white face masks over the black

Reactions: PJGooch

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
They will grow on me. Definitely have a newer college look rather than traditional. I am partial to the white facemasks as well.

My only hope was that they changed the name font to the mid 90’s one since they added the black back in from that time period.

Reactions: Costigan77

PJGooch

Aug 2, 2005
I’m 36. So in that middle spot. I kind of like them. I really like the helmets. It is a early 90s jet look. Boomer. Neil o donnell. Adrian murrell. Early Hugh Douglas. Chrebet the first two years. They sucked but i was always a fan. I was a Kenny O guy so i like the white face masks over the black

Same here. If they ditched the black jersey and the silly horns or whatever you wanna call them on the shoulders and pants, they'd look like modernized early-'90s unis.

The Real JT

In Lou We Trust: Just kidding
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
I like the new look.

It looks like they didn't bring back the lame late 70s and 80s modern jet logo on the helmet.

That one gives me fishsticks nightmares.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->