The Football (Not American)/Futbol/Soccer Thread: No More International Breaks!

Who Wins the 2018 World Cup?

• Total voters

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
No, not really. Griezzman toe picks the ground and then Brozovic runs into him.

And Croatia was fouling hard in the first 20 minutes of the game. That tactic cost them.

What on Earth are you on about, the guy threw himself to the ground.

PS

And who did they foul hard? For the first 20 mins France couldn't touch the ball. Fouling hard? Give me a break.

Last edited:

Cappuccino

Aug 18, 2017
the Netherlands
Gutted we were done in by a cheat. Feel proud of the boys.

I can't stop imagining how dominant they could have been for the last 25 years, if not for the war. Iam saying it pure from a sports perspective. I get that they want to play for their own country, but the level of talent from that region is simply amazing.

Fell in love with the Croatian team in '95 when Suker, Boban, Prosinecki, Boksic, Bilic etc. were (maybe) even better than this generation. The Croatian players even opened up my heart to the Avs (because Sakic) and let me to buying an Avs Sakic jersey back in the days.

You can be very proud of your boys, amazing accomplishment.

CharlesPuck

Apr 25, 2017
Denver
What on Earth are you on about, the guy threw himself to the ground.

PS

And who did they foul hard? For the first 20 mins France couldn't touch the ball. Fouling hard? Give me a break.

Threw himself on the ground, yikes.

Done arguing with you seeing how you are totally biased. France finished their chances, Croatia didn't. Don't blame the refs, its a bad look on you.

CharlesPuck

Apr 25, 2017
Denver
Except that's not how it works, and plenty of people disagree with this, in fact, most everyone unbiased sees that this was bundled.

It's 100% how it works.

A very similar play happened to Umtiti in the Australia match. Had his hand in a bad spot, ball hits it. Goes to VAR and Australia gets the penalty. That's how it has worked all WC.

You can be proud of your Croatian boys, they played a great tourney. But please stop blaming the refs, its a bad take.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Threw himself on the ground, yikes.

Done arguing with you seeing how you are totally biased. France finished their chances, Croatia didn't. Don't blame the refs, its a bad look on you.
Go watch the replay, Griezman is on his knees when Marcelo gets to him. It's funny how everyone but the French supporters agrees that was a sham.

snapshot20180715101959.jpg

Marcelo is a yard from him. Foul!!!!!!!!!!! :laugh:

CharlesPuck

Apr 25, 2017
Denver
Go watch the replay, Griezman is on his knees when Marcelo gets to him. It's funny how everyone but the French supporters agrees that was a sham.

snapshot20180715101959.jpg

Marcelo is a yard from him. Foul!!!!!!!!!!! :laugh:

You can't crash into a player... Never said he tripped him. But if he doesn't crash into Griezzman its not a penalty. He never touched the ball either. It was a late challenge and got the foul. Its not a hard concept.

The biggest difference in this game was Croatia playing an extra 90 minutes throughout the knockouts because they couldn't close out teams in the regular time. Croatia was gassed and it showed. They didn't threaten in the second half.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
You can't crash into a player... Never said he tripped him. But if he doesn't crash into Griezzman its not a penalty. He never touched the ball either. It was a late challenge and got the foul. Its not a hard concept.

The biggest difference in this game was Croatia playing an extra 90 minutes throughout the knockouts because they couldn't close out teams in the regular time. Croatia was gassed and it showed. They didn't threaten in the second half.

:facepalm:

You do realize that he dove and that is why Brozović runs into him? It's like cause-causation is an alien concept.

CharlesPuck

Apr 25, 2017
Denver
:facepalm:

You do realize that he dove and that is why Brozović runs into him? It's like cause-causation is an alien concept.

Both knees on the ground before impact eh?

JexWEdo.jpg

Go ahead, refute this please... Face it, he ran into him and knocked Griezman off the ball.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Both knees on the ground before impact eh?

JexWEdo.jpg

Go ahead, refute this please... Face it, he ran into him and knocked Griezman off the ball.
Is logic really that hard, you are running after someone he suddenly stops and dives, what is about to happen? And how does this prove me wrong? Does it negate the fact that Griezman was the first to commit an offense by diving? He didn't knock him off anything, Griezman knocks himself off the ball by diving. It's quite hilarious how everyone, and I mean everyone, agrees that we got jobbed on that one apart from French homers.

CharlesPuck

Apr 25, 2017
Denver
Is logic really that hard, you are running after someone he suddenly stops and dives, what is about to happen? And how does this prove me wrong? Does it negate the fact that Griezman was the first to commit an offense by diving? He didn't knock him off anything, Griezman knocks himself off the ball by diving. It's quite hilarious how everyone, and I mean everyone, agrees that we got jobbed on that one apart from French homers.

You earlier said contact came when both of Griezmans knees were on the ground. I clearly point out that wasn't the case and yet you cant wrap your head around it. The challenge was late, he missed the ball, and he 100% hit Griezmans leg. Dude, its a penalty. Get over it.

You clearly are biased and want to blame the ref for this. I am sorry but thats not why France won.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
That's what it actually says in the rulebook, VAR can only overturn a grave error.
That was a grave error though. I was going for you guys so I got no ill, but that is as deliberate of a handball as you can get since his hand goes towards the ball. I don't think he meant it, it was more human nature/reaction, but it was the correct call. France's first goal was brutal though and I called Evilo out on it.

Reactions: 5280

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Yeah, I didn't like the handball. Croatia deserved better in that game. Not to take anything away from France.

Reactions: cgf

To the window!
Jan 15, 2011
North Cackolacka
That was a grave error though. I was going for you guys so I got no ill, but that is as deliberate of a handball as you can get since his hand goes towards the ball. I don't think he meant it, it was more human nature/reaction, but it was the correct call. France's first goal was brutal though and I called Evilo out on it.

This is pretty much how I viewed the situation......IMO the Handball was the correct call, that is all VAR is there for..... to get it right. Also, I haven't seen an replays outside of the bar, but the first goal looked like an obvious dive to me.

Was really looking for Croatia to win here. The bar I was in was almost 100% pro Croatia and the place went absolutely bonkers when Croatia tied it up. It was a great feeling to be around and I was pretty upset when France scored later like they did.

It's just too bad the second goal came on such a weak circumstantial situation because who knows how the game would have played out had that not happened. Croatia was taking it to the French the first part of the game and had even tied it up after the bad dive call.

Last edited:

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
VAR has been amazing in La liga... surprising to say the least.

Messi out for 3 weeks... might as well stop the games tbh.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Barca weren't even good today and managed to wipe the floor with Madrid. Lope should be fired today LOOL
Yeah, one of the few El Clascio's I decided not to watch. I loved the Messi and Ronaldo rivalry and it brought so much to that series of games, but now you don't have the storyline's (plus Spanish fans are terrible travellers on the road).

If I were you though D2M, I am not sure I would want Lope fired. Real have the sources to challenge Barca in any competition and have had a beast of a CL run the past couple of years or so. Firing a pretty terrible manager will eventually lead to a good one one day and challenge for La Liga in the future.

Nzap

lunaR Pad
Jul 19, 2011
Parma
So is Mou, but he is still allowed to waste our money and our time by having to watch that dreadful football which has not really worked in almost 10 years.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Europa League is so much more entertaining than CL

Speaking of soccer forum, I went there couple days ago and saw someone say Firmino is better than Dybala and just nop'd out of there
All the hot takes on the soccer board make it really hard to have reasonable discussions there; they're trade board level-grotesque. Reading stuff like "Liverpool have the best defense in the PL" regularly puts me completely off from visiting that board again.
:laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad