The Football (Not American)/Futbol/Soccer Thread: No More International Breaks!

Who Wins the 2018 World Cup?

• Total voters

AdamCalderHero

Jul 20, 2010
Coventry, England
I was more referring to throughout the tournament with the main thing in my head being the penalty conceded against Tunisia. Probably a bad call but his body position was all wrong.

Reactions: cgf

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Everything going France's way. Two iffy calls on the free kick and penalty and now in the second they can fall down and counter attack, which they are amazing at.

Smart and effective football from them.

Nzap

lunaR Pad
Jul 19, 2011
Parma
Everything going France's way. Two iffy calls on the free kick and penalty and now in the second they can fall down and counter attack, which they are amazing at.

Smart and effective football from them.
Yup.
Those two calls decided the game, but at least the handball i can see given.
But Griezmanns dive was quite obvious and surprised the ref fell for it.

Not taking anything from France though. Played very mature and effective football.

Hesher

Sagan for President
Jan 22, 2013
Slovakia
Croatia and Belgium were pretty much the only two teams that tried to play football. Too bad France ended up winning it playing Allardyce football.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
do people really see that handball penalty as controversial? The replay was 100% clear on it - you could even see his hand jiggle after it hit the ball

Reactions: CharlesPuck

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Croatia and Belgium were pretty much the only two teams that tried to play football. Too bad France ended up winning it playing Allardyce football.

They weren't that bad. When they countered, it was nifty. DD just played them like he was still afraid of what happened in 2016...while ignoring that what happened in 2016 wouldn't have happened if he hadn't made decisions like thinking that Sissoko was a creative winger...

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
do people really see that handball penalty as controversial? The replay was 100% clear on it - you could even see his hand jiggle after it hit the ball

The controversy is over whether it was an intentional handball or not. Not whether it hit Perisic's hand.

CharlesPuck

Apr 25, 2017
Denver
The controversy is over whether it was an intentional handball or not. Not whether it hit Perisic's hand.

There is 100% no controversy with that handball.

Perisic had his hand in an unnatural position and blocked a crossing header.

Penalty every time.

Reactions: 5280

CharlesPuck

Apr 25, 2017
Denver
Gutted we were done in by a cheat. Feel proud of the boys.

Griezzman lost his footing and the Croatian player ran into him. Penalty. He wasn’t diving.

Forcing Kante out of the game with a soft yellow was worse.

France simply was the best team all World Cup. Great defense. Opportunistic offense. Solid team play.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Griezzman lost his footing and the Croatian player ran into him. Penalty. He wasn’t diving.

Forcing Kante out of the game with a soft yellow was worse.

France simply was the best team all World Cup. Great defense. Opportunistic offense. Solid team play.
Give me a break, the clown dove. He was on his knees before Brozovic touched him.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Accidental handball is allowed in football. My problem is that it's a 50/50 situation that's overturned by VAR. If it's a situation like that, they should go with the refs call on the field. Which was no penalty.

AdamCalderHero

Jul 20, 2010
Coventry, England
I still maintain theres nothing wrong with VAR, the problem is the lack of clarity around the laws of the game. VAR is shining a light on this and hopefully it will lead to improvement.

On the penalty, its so hard to call because it looks like he might move his hand to the ball, but then you could argue he raised it to help him jump and it was just returning to a natural position by his side. Was it a clear and obvious mistake that needed to be overturned? Probably not

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Accidental handball is allowed in football. My problem is that it's a 50/50 situation that's overturned by VAR. If it's a situation like that, they should go with the refs call on the field. Which was no penalty.
That's what it actually says in the rulebook, VAR can only overturn a grave error.

Hesher

Sagan for President
Jan 22, 2013
Slovakia
Handball rules need to be clarified. Either go with hockey's high-stick rule and punish every handball (save for maybe the instances when someone is stupid enough to hit his own hand) or go with clearly intentional handballs (like Suarez in 2010) and let everything else go.

As for VAR, I like it but I'd change 2 things:
1. Shorten the review time by letting the VAR room decide. There's no need for the on-pitch ref to run and see for himself.
2. Expand VAR. While the Croats were arguing with Pitana about Griezmann's dive, the VAR room had more than enough time to tell Pitana to reverse the call.

CharlesPuck

Apr 25, 2017
Denver
Give me a break, the clown dove. He was on his knees before Brozovic touched him.

No, not really. Griezzman toe picks the ground and then Brozovic runs into him.

And Croatia was fouling hard in the first 20 minutes of the game. That tactic cost them.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad