The Football (Not American)/Futbol/Soccer Thread: No More International Breaks!

Who Wins the 2018 World Cup?

• Total voters

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Can't wait for another hot take by cgf on Mario!!!

Immense, immense, so ****ing happy.

I've always loved Mario, I just didn't think he had the legs to keep starting when you had enough class to save him for a joker role...clearly I forgot that Mandzo is half machine :laugh:

Glad you won and going to continue rooting for you take it all of the way, now go beat Evilo's boys you Serbian Turbofolk -lovers!

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Croatia actually have the class to beat france by playing the way France wants them to play tho :dunno:

That midfield plus Perisic, Mandzukic, and Lovren(lol) can really be dangerous. I mean clearly France is the favorite and has the more talented squad. But Croatia has the best player.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
That midfield plus Perisic, Mandzukic, and Lovren(lol) can really be dangerous. I mean clearly France is the favorite and has the more talented squad. But Croatia has the best player.

Rebic & Kramaric are players that can decide a match as well.

They might not present the physical threat that belgium did for whomping on minnows, but they are much better set up to control the ball & actually create a goal against that excellent french defense...if France doesn't spend some time in possession forcing Modric & co. to chase the ball in defense & tire them out when they go forward again...

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Rebic & Kramaric are players that can decide a match as well.

They might not present the physical threat that belgium did for whomping on minnows, but they are much better set up to control the ball & actually create a goal against that excellent french defense...if France doesn't spend some time in possession forcing Modric & co. to chase the ball in defense & tire them out when they go forward again...

True they are good players. I'm excited to see the chess match between Modric and the French D. Should be a fun matchup.

Nzap

lunaR Pad
Jul 19, 2011
Parma
AWESOME!
Out of Croatian beer yesterday so I had to open a Swedish one instead.

Modric looked dead on his feet yesterday though.
Played so many minutes and ran like a bastard.

All in for Croatia!

Reactions: Ivan13

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Yea, but it's going to be Mbappe chasing down balls on the counter, not :laugh: Raheem Sterling.

That's why they should've practiced a 3-5-2 with Strinic being replaced in the starting 11 by Caleta Car. Perisic & Vrsaljko as the wing backs & 2 of Kramaric / Rebic / Mandzukic in front of the midfield trio.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I know he was rumoured to sign with the Arsenal, but I've been very impressed by Pavard thus far in the World Cup. I get it he's playing RB due to France's strength in CB, but being 22 years old and playing with so much quality and consistency is quite ridiculous.

Lol Sterling still can't finish
I don't know how this bloke keeps finding jobs on big clubs. Not because he's a bad player or anything like that, but all the problems you alluded to in this post. He's pretty much a smaller yet faster version of Welbeck, but people go out of their way to label him as a 50 million pound player for any sort of transfer. It's absurd and pretty much the only reason why is pace. City should be playing Silva over him and Mahrez will easily take his starting job within a month.

Seri joining Fulham, that's a very unique move which probably will do wonders for them down the road. Fulham will eventually get 40 to 50 million pounds when one of the big sharks come calling.

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000
Seri to fulham is a great, I mean really great move for them. The kind of move that teams getting promoted have not been able to pull off in the past. I think if there's any real example of the way that money is raising the level of PL football, it's that Fulham just signed a guy that could be playing on an array of the worlds best teams. He's going to get his Barcelona move eventually and Fulham are going to pocket like 60M.

Sterling has serious flaws, but he is a much, much, much better player than Welbeck, who is not that terrible a player. It's easy to make fun of Sterling because he has so many high profile terrible moments, but you can't deny he's one of the most useful players around when you want to stretch a defense vertically.

I do think Sterling provides value, it's just that you have to find ways to utilize him to put pressure on the defense, while also not expecting him to score. I think the bigger problem than just his lack of shooting is actually the fact that he's a huge choker under pressure. He might be the most guaranteed player in the PL to blow a chance in the final minute.

Reactions: cgf

Nzap

lunaR Pad
Jul 19, 2011
Parma
Seri to fulham is a great, I mean really great move for them. The kind of move that teams getting promoted have not been able to pull off in the past. I think if there's any real example of the way that money is raising the level of PL football, it's that Fulham just signed a guy that could be playing on an array of the worlds best teams. He's going to get his Barcelona move eventually and Fulham are going to pocket like 60M.

The thing with Seri is though that he turns 27 this month.
Fulham is not going to get a huge chunk from anyone for him, unless he absolutely blazes it this season or the next.

A 29 year old great midfielder will get what, €50mil in case he really plays well.
But still a nice buy for Fulham for sure, and I am not thinking they are looking at it as a cash move, more like a statement move and really investing to stay up and start challenging for upper half of the table. They already kept Sessegnon and Cairney so they really are doing what they should to stay up.

AdamCalderHero

Jul 20, 2010
Coventry, England
Congrats to Croatia! They deserved it, and handled the occasion much better. England came out firing and got the goal, who knows maybe if they took one of their chances it could have been different. Croatia never panicked though and shut England down after that spell, a really good performance.

All in all a really fun tournament.

Reactions: Ivan13

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
So I just watched the Croatia and England game in its entirety and if I was an English fan I would hope to never see Kyle Walker for the national team ever again. That display by him was the definition of rubbish.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->