OT: The Food & Drinks Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
There's a good deal more cultural diversity in Edmonton than Calgary. I do more restauranting there than here.

Edmonton's scene is, on the whole, better than Calgary's. However, I have found some killer ethnic grub in Calgary for which there was no parallel in Edmonton (at least that I found). You also have the novelties like tubby dog and boogie's. But I didn't find any good poutine when I lived there.

Reactions: groovejuice

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Been looking for a replacement of a favorite pizza joint I used to order from for years until ownership changed hands and their recipe went south.

Looking for great take out options east of St-Laurent boulevard or Laval. Anyone has a favorite to recommend?

Reactions: groovejuice

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Here's an idea for a poutine that compensates for the inherent problems it has - soggy fries and tasteless cheese. I don't have a fryer so I can't try this myself. If you like the idea, let us know if it works.

1. Grate a bunch of potatoes. Make a bowl with a couple of strainers and the deep fryer.

2. Use the rest of the grated potatoes (with a binder) and make a 1/2 inch pan sized patty. Fry it long and slow to develop a dark crust on both sides.

3. Break up the patty and put the pieces in the potato bowl. Add grated gruyere or old cheddar and distribute it. Melt it in the oven.

4. Add a peppercorn sauce rather than a tasteless gravy.

5. Top with crispy shallots and / or bacon / chicarons.

6. Enjoy
Yeah, sorry, thats not a Poutine.

Probably good, though. Not sure about grated taters, small cut fries or wedges or something could work really well though

lo striver

Jun 13, 2011
Our Lady of Grace
Been looking for a replacement of a favorite pizza joint I used to order from for years until ownership changed hands and their recipe went south.

Looking for great take out options east of St-Laurent boulevard or Laval. Anyone has a favorite to recommend?
The lack of comments speaks volumes here. You would have to drive to 514 area /West End to get decent pizza. :sarcasm:

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca

Is there still a La Vieux Four in Laval? I don't think they deliver though, but that's one of the best pizzas I ate in the GMA.

Reactions: Runner77

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Yeah, sorry, thats not a Poutine.

Probably good, though. Not sure about grated taters, small cut fries or wedges or something could work really well though

I get your point, but my priority is non-mushy potatoes. Definitely it's not a classic template for a poutine.

CalgarySnow

Oct 21, 2017
For me poutine is all about the gravy although I’m not a great lover of fries so wouldn’t have it anyway. Gravy on buttered mashed potatoes is more my thing

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
So I attended the IKEA Crayfish buffet and it turns out it's not quite as advertised.

The crayfish tasted incredibly salty. And since the utensils were scooped up early, you could only break the tail part and scoop out the little meat it provided. Lots of meat in the claws went wasted.

Sure, it's all you can eat and you can gather a ton of them.

They sold 250 tickets at this year's event compared to 100 last year.

But, here's the disappointing part.

I spoke to an employee to ask where the crayfish came from. He said they were taken from a water stream located between Sweden and Norway. He said they were unlike the ones found in the southern US as they came from a fresh water source. They are cooked and frozen and then sent to IKEA in Montreal, in the first week of August. And then, thawed and served on August 15th.

Fresh water crayfish? Why the hell did they taste so salty?

Finally figured it out. There was a display box next to the crayfish. I took a closer look. There was no fresh water and no Swedish connection to them. They are Chinese crayfish.

At first I thought it might have been a type of crayfish they called "Chinese". But no, in the back of the box, it said "made in China." And checking the ingredients box, right there I saw my nightmare: 300 mg. of sodium for every 5 crayfish.

All you can eat crayfish? Nah, all you can eat sodium. They weren't all that tasty. It was a salt mine.

I don't know what they served at IKEA last year (it may have well been the fresh water ones from Sweden and Norway), but this year -- it wasn't worth it. I confronted the employee who had told me the fable about how the crayfish came from Sweden and showed him the box and he couldn't believe it.

It was only $20 but honestly not worth it. What was worth it was all the other stuff that came with it, which included lots of smoked salmon, a variety of cheeses and vegetables prepared in a variety of manners. But, why should I go to IKEA for that? It's OK but not worth buying a ticket for.

It was a bucket list item of mine to be there and glad I did it so I don't have to go through with this again. Kudos to those of you who didn't go for it.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
So I attended the IKEA Crayfish buffet and it turns out it's not quite as advertised.

The crayfish tasted incredibly salty. And since the utensils were scooped up early, you could only break the tail part and scoop out the little meat it provided. Lots of meat in the claws went wasted.

Sure, it's all you can eat and you can gather a ton of them.

They sold 250 tickets at this year's event compared to 100 last year.

But, here's the disappointing part.

I spoke to an employee to ask where the crayfish came from. He said they were taken from a water stream located between Sweden and Norway. He said they were unlike the ones found in the southern US as they came from a fresh water source. They are cooked and frozen and then sent to IKEA in Montreal, in the first week of August. And then, thawed and served on August 15th.

Fresh water crayfish? Why the hell did they taste so salty?

Finally figured it out. There was a display box next to the crayfish. I took a closer look. There was no fresh water and no Swedish connection to them. They are Chinese crayfish.

At first I thought it might have been a type of crayfish they called "Chinese". But no, in the back of the box, it said "made in China." And checking the ingredients box, right there I saw my nightmare: 300 mg. of sodium for every 5 crayfish.

All you can eat crayfish? Nah, all you can eat sodium. They weren't all that tasty. It was a salt mine.

I don't know what they served at IKEA last year (it may have well been the fresh water ones from Sweden and Norway), but this year -- it wasn't worth it. I confronted the employee who had told me the fable about how the crayfish came from Sweden and showed him the box and he couldn't believe it.

It was only $20 but honestly not worth it. What was worth it was all the other stuff that came with it, which included lots of smoked salmon, a variety of cheeses and vegetables prepared in a variety of manners. But, why should I go to IKEA for that? It's OK but not worth buying a ticket for.

It was a bucket list item of mine to be there and glad I did it so I don't have to go through with this again. Kudos to those of you who didn't go for it.

It sounded great in a vacuum. I'm sorry the reality didn't measure up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad