OT: The Food & Drinks Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ArtPeur

Have a Snickers
Mar 30, 2010
I watched those series with great anticipation and interest. Bourdain stole every scene of every show - dynamic and powerful while being humorous and congenial.

the layover episode in Montreal where he spends 26 hours was really great

(I'm watching it right now haha)

Last edited:

Edgy

Nov 30, 2009
Anyone try Houpert & Frére vodka? One of the best I've tried.
Rum Havana Club 7 years and Ray & Whitney rum cream (got addicted to it in Jamaica)

Indian restaurant in the South Shore: Delhi Kabab in Brossard, good variety, awesome naan bread, average portions, decent price. My only gripe with Indian food is the amount of oil in it.
Cuban food: café Cuba on Beaubien and La Bodeguita on Saint Laurent (turns into a Cuban hangout at night with loud music and dancing with the best mojito in town)
Bakery: Sabor Latino (the first one, not 2)
Shout out to Sparta grilled chicken, their combination of thyme and spices with chicken is very underrated.

Reactions: groovejuice

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I'm trying to add a hot beverage to my daily routine and wanted to see if I could try tea.

I'm a coffee guy but feel like having something different on afternoons and perhaps evenings. A tea in the afternoon and something with no caffeine in the evening. Hot beverages are appealing, you can have them slowly and they get your mind off eating stuff you regret later.

With that in mind, I'd like to try different teas to see what I might really like. My tea uneducated tongue has enjoyed the standard English breakfast you get served everywhere.

I know I could simply go to David's Tea and spend a small fortune but I'm told I can get great tea online for a fraction of the cost and it is excellent. It comes from England, India and China. But I don't know where to start.

Those of you who appreciate a fine tea and order online, can you provide suggestions of teas to try and online sites you trust enough to order from regularly?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Anyone try Houpert & Frére vodka? One of the best I've tried.
Rum Havana Club 7 years and Ray & Whitney rum cream (got addicted to it in Jamaica)

Indian restaurant in the South Shore: Delhi Kabab in Brossard, good variety, awesome naan bread, average portions, decent price. My only gripe with Indian food is the amount of oil in it.
Cuban food: café Cuba on Beaubien and La Bodeguita on Saint Laurent (turns into a Cuban hangout at night with loud music and dancing with the best mojito in town)
Bakery: Sabor Latino (the first one, not 2)
Shout out to Sparta grilled chicken, their combination of thyme and spices with chicken is very underrated.

If it's authentic Indian at Delhi Kebab, it's much more likely ghee (clarified butter) than oil.

Reactions: Per Sjoblom

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
I'm trying to add a hot beverage to my daily routine and wanted to see if I could try tea.

I'm a coffee guy but feel like having something different on afternoons and perhaps evenings. A tea in the afternoon and something with no caffeine in the evening. Hot beverages are appealing, you can have them slowly and they get your mind off eating stuff you regret later.

With that in mind, I'd like to try different teas to see what I might really like. My tea uneducated tongue has enjoyed the standard English breakfast you get served everywhere.

I know I could simply go to David's Tea and spend a small fortune but I'm told I can get great tea online for a fraction of the cost and it is excellent. It comes from England, India and China. But I don't know where to start.

Those of you who appreciate a fine tea and order online, can you provide suggestions of teas to try and online sites you trust enough to order from regularly?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

I don't know of any online tea shops specifically, but there are quite a few Asian and Middle Eastern supermarkets and specialty stores in Calgary and I've found excellent tea at many of them.

Japanese green tea can be exceptionally delicious as roasted rice is often added to add a wonderful nutty nuance. In good Indian markets you'll find a selection of spiced tea (I love cardamom) and Middle Eastern should be the same (mint and some floral ones).

I've never found those ethnic stores to be terribly expensive and they're more than likely to be thrilled to assist, especially if you browse. Indian snack food is amazing - murruku is one to try for sure.

SquiddFX

#Seanski
Dec 16, 2013
Montreal

This is the best recipe I've found for this dish. Every other recipe I've tried either tastes too harsh, or slightly burnt. A tiny bit of lemon juice in the emulsion goes a long way. I substituted basil, because basil > parsley, and #FTP.

Simple pasta dishes are great. There's also Caccio e Pepe which is basically pepper and either Parmigiano or Pecorino Romano, black pepper, and olive oil or butter.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Simple pasta dishes are great. There's also Caccio e Pepe which is basically pepper and either Parmigiano or Pecorino Romano, black pepper, and olive oil or butter.

That youtube channel is fantastic. It's just italian chefs cooking italian recipes. Also pasta grannies is a total win.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I don't know of any online tea shops specifically, but there are quite a few Asian and Middle Eastern supermarkets and specialty stores in Calgary and I've found excellent tea at many of them.

Japanese green tea can be exceptionally delicious as roasted rice is often added to add a wonderful nutty nuance. In good Indian markets you'll find a selection of spiced tea (I love cardamom) and Middle Eastern should be the same (mint and some floral ones).

I've never found those ethnic stores to be terribly expensive and they're more than likely to be thrilled to assist, especially if you browse. Indian snack food is amazing - murruku is one to try for sure.
My mother in law brought me some oolong tea from China, it was so simple yet so great.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Cate Blanchett was on Jimmy Fallon's show last week and mentioned how she's always disappointed by US burgers as they don't contain any beets, caramelized onions and eggs.

First, she proceeded to introduce a traditional Australian burger, which she slapped down to get the egg to ooze out.

And then she presented a veggie burger that she called the Superiority Burger. Here's the segment:

Found the Superiority Burger recipe here:

Superiority Burgers

Not sure if there's a Y/T video using exactly this recipe.

Has anyone tried it?

As for the Aussie style meat burger, there are several Y/T videos that I've seen, with variations, but they include a pineapple slice, bacon, tomato, cheddar cheese, lettuce together with the caramelized onion, beets and egg. Simple enough, will try it.

Reactions: Laurentide

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Anybody else managed to get their hands on some Cantillons today?

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Id slap you with all the strength this delicious Rooibos is granting me.

giphy.gif

Reactions: MasterD
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad