OT: The Food & Drinks Thread Part Trois

Status
Not open for further replies.

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
@Treb Frozen vegetables have been proven to be the best option besides having your own garden. They're frozen at the optimum time whereas fresh produce is often in transit for days if not weeks and has lost a lot of it's nutritional value. I think Green Giant baby peas can be palatable, but then again, you need the rest of the meal to compensate.

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
I was raised on canned corn on the cob and canned mushrooms, hated both. Wasn’t til I started cooking myself did I have the fresh versions and realized what I was missing all those years.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
@Treb Frozen vegetables have been proven to be the best option besides having your own garden. They're frozen at the optimum time whereas fresh produce is often in transit for days if not weeks and has lost a lot of it's nutritional value. I think Green Giant baby peas can be palatable, but then again, you need the rest of the meal to compensate.
Frozen peas don't taste good though :laugh:

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Canned mushrooms? What the...

Jacques Pépin told a story about the first time he went to an american supermarket. He couldn't find the mushrooms so he asked an employee where they were. The employee pointed him to the canned foods aisle.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Jacques Pépin told a story about the first time he went to an american supermarket. He couldn't find the mushrooms so he asked an employee where they were. The employee pointed him to the canned foods aisle.
Lol that was probably really true in the 80s and 90s.

Theres also a very wide variety of whatever you want in most supermarket in the US of A like twenty different kind of the same cereals. Its like going to a toy store but for diabetes.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Lol that was probably really true in the 80s and 90s.

Theres also a very wide variety of whatever you want in most supermarket in the US of A like twenty different kind of the same cereals. Its like going to a toy store but for diabetes.

The story was in the 70's. Food culture has come a long way in north america.

Reactions: angusyoung

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Unedible abominations in a can: peas, asparagus, mushrooms, potatoes, spinach

Palatable in a can: beets, corn niblets

Good in a can: miniature corn
on cobs.
I see corn and pea as the same, theyre fine for convenience or recipes but using the sweet kind is a deal breaker.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
I see corn and pea as the same, theyre fine for convenience or recipes but using the sweet kind is a deal breaker.

Corn still has an acceptable texture from a can and is okay mixed into a chili style dish with ground beef and onions, for example.

I cannot think of a single thing a can of peas is good for, except perhaps as extra weight for sinking a corpse in a lake.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Corn still has an acceptable texture from a can and is okay mixed into a chili style dish with ground beef and onions, for example.

I cannot think of a single thing a can of peas is good for, except perhaps as extra weight for sinking a corpse in a lake.
You've never had a decent "hot-chiken" as I can see :sarcasm:

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
Canned mushrooms? What the...
Yeah would’ve been in the 70-80s, they were tiny and slimy, hated mushrooms for 2 decades and now eat them at least once a week. My mom also ruined me for steak for the same period of time. She would panfry flank steak til it was extra-well done. All my friends would be excited to have steak and mushrooms and I’d be thinking they were on crack, snails and boot leather at my house :laugh:

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
What do you use then? Frozen peas?

Green Giant canned peas are the peas to use for hot chicken. :sueme:

Sure. And macaroni and cheese usually has a fluorescent orange ersatz cheese powder. You could use a delicious blend of fresh cheeses instead.

The popular recipe isn't often the best one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->