OT: The Food & Drinks Thread Part Deux

Status
Not open for further replies.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Good point, guess I wasn't thinking clearly,happens more and more. Was recalling the debacle with some other poster with pineapple? not sure. Racking my brain to see if I use citrus but only thing that comes to mind is souvlaki sticks.

Do yourself a favor and don't read what cheese whiz is.

It is similar to the pineapple scenario. It's okay to use some acid in a marinade, just not for a long time. For souvlaki, I'd add the lemon to the marinade for the last 10 or 15 minutes only, but honestly with rosemary, garlic and olive oil as the marinade, a few squeezes on the grill and one after should give you that tartness you like. You could also add lemon zest to the marinade and get that lively floral taste that way.

Reactions: angusyoung

angusyoung

The life of..The Party
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
It is similar to the pineapple scenario. It's okay to use some acid in a marinade, just not for a long time. For souvlaki, I'd add the lemon to the marinade for the last 10 or 15 minutes only, but honestly with rosemary, garlic and olive oil as the marinade, a few squeezes on the grill and one after should give you that tartness you like. You could also add lemon zest to the marinade and get that lively floral taste that way.

I make a good souvlaki,Montreal style,but it doesn't compare to what I get in Greece. Not sure the cut and seasoning they use but they throw handfuls of something on it while grilling. Asking them is pointless as they just tell me it 's the way they do it,thanks!.

Reactions: groovejuice

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Superiority Burger is a NY vegetarian burger joint, it is not the name of the australian burger.

The australian burger is the Aussie burger (duh), burger with the lot or the Works burger apparently: https://www.buzzfeed.com/emofly/aussie-burgers

Blanchett called it a "superiority burger" on Fallon's show but it's designated as you mentioned.

Curious if anyone had one in Australia. I've seen some made with lamb meat too.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Blanchett called it a "superiority burger" on Fallon's show but it's designated as you mentioned.

Curious if anyone had one in Australia. I've seen some made with lamb meat too.

Watch it again. The one she calls the superiority burger is the vege burger, not the Aussie one.

It also says so in the article you quoted:

So Blanchett blindfolded Fallon and fed him a burger topped with those classic Australian burger accoutrements, and we must say, it looked spectacular. (Key tip: Before putting the burger in Fallon's mouth, she slapped the top of the burger bun, so as to break the egg and let the yolk ooze out over everything. "That gets the egg going," she said, after a confident whack. )

"You forgets that beets in America are really important," said Blanchett, and it's true: We rarely eat beets on our burgers, and maybe we should start?

Blanchett also fed Fallon the meatless Superiority Burger, which she called "the thinking man's burger." Fallon, being the affable host he is, seemed to really approve of both, even though his suit gets covered in burger bits.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Watch it again. The one she calls the superiority burger is the vege burger, not the Aussie one.

I just revisited the interview clip, which I hadn't seen in a while. She mentions "superiority" right after "vegetarian burger" -- I had gone from memory and thought she had applied the term across the board. Good to know.

I don't know which of the expressions you listed is the most common for it. I've seen Aussie Burger with the Lot as a recurring reference.

Blanchett's version involves beets, an egg and caramelized onions. Some recipes I've seen also include pineapple.

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
I just revisited the interview clip, which I hadn't seen in a while. She mentions "superiority" right after "vegetarian burger" -- I had gone from memory and thought she had applied the term across the board. Good to know.

I don't know which of the expressions you listed is the most common for it. I've seen Aussie Burger with the Lot as a recurring reference.

Blanchett's version involves beets, an egg and caramelized onions. Some recipes I've seen also include pineapple.

I’ve had the Aussie Burger, they like to put eggs and beetroot on a lot of their burgers and even steak sandwiches, you’re not missing much. In the last few years lots of American Style burger joints are popping up and becoming a lot more popular than the Aussie burger, now if they could only figure out what bacon is and orange cheddar they’d be set, a flat piece of ham is not bacon and white cheese should be mozza but slowly coming around, can get streaky bacon recently and the occasional orange cheddar.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I’ve had the Aussie Burger, they like to put eggs and beetroot on a lot of their burgers and even steak sandwiches, you’re not missing much. In the last few years lots of American Style burger joints are popping up and becoming a lot more popular than the Aussie burger, now if they could only figure out what bacon is and orange cheddar they’d be set, a flat piece of ham is not bacon and white cheese should be mozza but slowly coming around, can get streaky bacon recently and the occasional orange cheddar.

Thanks for that reality check, lol. It sounded much more flavourful in the way Blanchett was promoting it.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Superiority Burger is a NY vegetarian burger joint, it is not the name of the australian burger.

The australian burger is the Aussie burger (duh), burger with the lot or the Works burger apparently: https://www.buzzfeed.com/emofly/aussie-burgers
I hate these overly complicated burger. You dont know what you're tasting...bread..meat..tomato..cheese..egg white..yolks..onions.. bacon..beet...and to that you top it off with a sauce..pointless.
You can barely fit it in your mouth..it gets very leaky, bread falls apart. End up rushing so I can finish it while still salvageable.

Gimme a patty..cheese..and 2 other toppings.
Sometimes I'll just do cheese and ketchup. I prefer it to these fancy burgers.

As for veggie burgers. I've had the impossible burger..give it a favorite 5/10.

buddahsmoka1

Nov 15, 2006
I hate these overly complicated burger. You dont know what you're tasting...bread..meat..tomato..cheese..egg white..yolks..onions.. bacon..beet...and to that you top it off with a sauce..pointless.
You can barely fit it in your mouth..it gets very leaky, bread falls apart. End up rushing so I can finish it while still salvageable.

At first as I was reading I was like this:

giphy.gif

Then when I got to the bold, I was like this:

giphy.gif

Reactions: PKCowboysOwn

buddahsmoka1

Nov 15, 2006
Not a fan of the classic condiment are you?

I'm not necessarily opposed to ketchup. It has it's uses; a burger is not one of them.

Generally speaking, there shouldn't really be anything sweet on burgers. There are exceptions (e.g. caramelized onions, grilled pineapple), but these are components where the natural sugar is drawn out of the ingredient.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I'm not necessarily opposed to ketchup. It has it's uses; a burger is not one of them.

Generally speaking, there shouldn't really be anything sweet on burgers. There are exceptions (e.g. caramelized onions, grilled pineapple), but these are components where the natural sugar is drawn out of the ingredient.
Pineapple?

Now you get out of here there aint no place for your kind round these parts

Reactions: Edgy and peate

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah

I don't mind a bit of ketchup, I don't soak the burget with it, just a bit to give that extra flavor.
And are you really flipping out about some classic ketchup on a burger but follow that up by suggesting putting a damn pineapple on it?? Dude...lol

Last edited:

buddahsmoka1

Nov 15, 2006
Pineapple?

Now you get out of here there aint no place for your kind round these parts

I don't mind a bit of ketchup, I don't soak the burget with it, just a bit to give that extra flavor.
And are you really flipping out about some classic ketchup on a burger but follow that up by suggesting putting a damn pineapple on it?? Dude...lol

I wouldn't put it on myself. But I've seen it on burgers before.

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
Ever try peanut butter on a burger? It isn't my go to (haven't had it in years actually) but it's pretty good. Melty PB and some crispy bacon. Definitely interesting and worth trying.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

I made one on Saturday and the experience is as you described. It’s a messy proposition. You need buns that don’t go soggy quickly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->