The Flyers Look bad.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
Anderson would just get lit up.

The hidden lore here is that it's not really 100% the goaltenders fault.

our supposed "awesome future is so bright gonna rival Calgary as the best d core in the NHL" defense is arguably the worst it has been since 2006-07.
They have been that bad.

Provy is my waifu, but he looks like 50% the player he was. Sanheim shows flashes of his hype, but then he looks like a complete simp with defensive blunders (which is funny because many touted he supposed high hockey IQ. First goal today was him making another low IQ play).
Ghost is what he is defensively and that is the trade off seeing as he's one of the best offensive dmen in the world... but when he's not facilitating offense he's a negative benefit on the ice.

Outside of Philippe Myers, the defensive prospect cavalry is here.... and we've allowed more goals than teams who aren't even trying to be competitive. This was supposed to a be a year we took a step forward. Pathetic.

They need a new system at the least to try and save some of these young careers. But that won't happen. We've look awful this year and just got BTFO in our own building and there is a Western Road Trip coming up.... and the coach is getting on the plane to coach the team on said road trip.

That’s fair enough you would know more than me about the D situation but have never been a fan of the Flyers tandem. Yeah if they are bad as you say then it wouldn’t matter.

JamieG19

Dec 8, 2017
You're going to get burned for this opinion and rightfully so...

Rightfully so?

He's the captain and so called best player on a team that seems to constantly be quitting on coaches. A large share of the blame doesn't fall on him?

Sure it does.

Coaches come and go, but Giroux is there for it all.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
The Flyers and Rangers seem to generally have equal but opposite issues. In 2009-10, they had all these forwards, Chris Pronger, and...were rotating backup goalies in the playoffs. I know Ray Emery was injured but he was having a terrible season anyway. 2003, Mike Richards and Jeff Carter in the same round, Rangers drafted...Hugh Jessiman. Claude Giroux a few years later, last time the Rangers drafted a forward that good was probably Tony Amonte lol.

Steve Mason was definitely legit for at least a couple years there, though.

Mvlnj4t.png

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Rightfully so?

He's the captain and so called best player on a team that seems to constantly be quitting on coaches. A large share of the blame doesn't fall on him?

Sure it does.

Coaches come and go, but Giroux is there for it all.
Giroux has played for 4 NHL coaches.
Crosby has played for 4 NHL coaches.

Maybe the Flyers should not have hired Berube, Stevens and Hakstol in the 1st place. No one has hired Berube yet. And Stevens is already on the hot seat in LA. Just like how Pittsburgh found out that Mike Johnston was not a good NHL coach.

Only Lavi would be considered a good NHL level coach that the Flyers have hired with Giroux on the team. That's not his fault.

Knight53

#6 #9 #17 #35 #40 #43
Jun 23, 2015
Vancouver
Their timelines of their older players and younger players(who aren't good enough to carry a team, no superstars) just makes them a medicore team.

There actual gamecahngers in Giroux and Voracek are near or in their 30's. They will decline within the next 2-3 years. If they were both 24-26 in age they would be able to compete depending on their goaltending.

Their younger players are just "solid" nothing spectualar other than Provorov.

Team right now that is destined to be a bubble team.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
What are their needs? They seem pretty well off at forward and defense. And their goaltending pipeline is solid.

I would love to see Voracek back in a CBJ sweater.

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
What are their needs? They seem pretty well off at forward and defense. And their goaltending pipeline is solid.

I would love to see Voracek back in a CBJ sweater.

A new coach. A new GM if he refuses to fire this coach or the next one is just as bad. To play Hart or get a stopgap. That’s pretty much it.

SpinningEdge

Feb 12, 2015
Fairfax, VA
Core of this team needs broke up. They’ve underachieved for talent they have

Giroux, Simmonds, Voracek, Couturier, and Ghost are all inconsistent. Yes, they can play well - but overall they just don’t seem to play consistent.

Half of that core should go and they should rebuild on the other side of the ice. They’re a forward dependent team - but don’t have anywhere near the forward talent of Wash/Pitt in the division.

GrkFlyersFan

Jul 30, 2011
South Jersey
Today's game was a cry for help. Hakstol tells the players to "sack up", something out of character for him, and they laughed in his face. Even before they got scored on first, they did not come out with the fire of a team openly called out by their coach. I see all this criticism of Elliott, and he's the starting goaltender of the Philadelphia Flyers, which is a tough office to hold in the last 25+ years, and as such he will face criticism. Yes, Elliott could be better, yes, Elliott is a band-aid, hopefully the last one we'll need before Carter Hart is that goalie we've been dying to have since 1992(end of Hextall's first stint). But I hope this game proved it's not Elliott's fault. Our oft-injured backup Neuvirth actually managed to play a game today, and he went 16/22. Maybe 2 he had a chance on? This defense is terrible. You could drive an 18-wheeler through our neutral zone. In these first 11 games, we have scored first ONCE! Two blowout losses at home in just the first month. Special teams terrible. Even the offense has dried up now. If Ron Hextall wants to prove something, he can start by being a man and admitting Hakstol was a mistake. Something he should have done in the summer of 2017. Get a real coach in here, then you think about personnel.

Reactions: Tripod

wankstifier

All glory to the harvest god
Jun 19, 2018
Anyone questioning the players hasn’t been paying attention.

Hakstol has implemented his successful college system for the past few years. It’s an absolute failure in the NHL. If anything, the players are the ones keeping Hakstol in the league. The guy will never coach again in the NHL. I don’t think he’ll have much luck finding a job in college hockey either unless he’s willing to take a pay cut

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
The Flyers and Rangers seem to generally have equal but opposite issues. In 2009-10, they had all these forwards, Chris Pronger, and...were rotating backup goalies in the playoffs. I know Ray Emery was injured but he was having a terrible season anyway. 2003, Mike Richards and Jeff Carter in the same round, Rangers drafted...Hugh Jessiman. Claude Giroux a few years later, last time the Rangers drafted a forward that good was probably Tony Amonte lol.

Steve Mason was definitely legit for at least a couple years there, though.

Mvlnj4t.png
He was always Steve Mason. The Flyers just played a less aggressive system until last year.

wolfgaze

Interesting Cat
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2006
Earth
From a Flyers fan's perceptive:

1. Our coach is unable to motivate our team to not come out flat in every single game. Our starts are atrocious.
2. Our PK has been abysmal for years and for some reason Hextall won't replace our PK coach, Ian Lapperiere.
3. Some of our prospects are massively overrated by our fan base - Lindblom and Myers, in particular.
4. Provorov has been hot garbage this year. Constant turnovers.

How has Nolan Patrick looked so far this year?

Reactions: NJ DevLolz

NeoCanuck

Jay Beagle? In THIS economy?
Jan 17, 2005
North Vancouver B.C.
Claude Giroux is a horrible leader. It's kind if silly to look back on the hype this guy had several years ago.

He's not to blame for all of their problems year after year, but they sure seem to quit on coaches a lot with Giroux at the helm. Way to go Captain Claude.

Ice cold take.

Freezing.

Sub-zero.

NJ DevLolz

The Many Saints of Newark
Sep 30, 2017
Lot of yapping about coaching, but their talent is all massively overrated and overstated.
Oh you mean:

1. Lindblom isn't going to win the Calder?
2. Provorov isn't a Norris contender?
3. Couturier isn't anything near a PPG talent?
4. Patrick hasn't been a disappointment since he's been drafted?
5. Their GM hasn't fixed their goalie issues 5 years on the job?

SHOCKING

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Claude Giroux is a horrible leader. It's kind if silly to look back on the hype this guy had several years ago.

He's not to blame for all of their problems year after year, but they sure seem to quit on coaches a lot with Giroux at the helm. Way to go Captain Claude.
This is clearly a hot take and I don’t think the basis of it is correct. My first reaction was GTFO. That said, through multiple coaches we have had slow starts and always felt that we could catch up if we played better later. Winning and losing streaks. Lack of consistency. You are talking about coaches like Hakstol, Berube, and Stevens, lesser extent lavi, so the coaching has been bad, but the captain certainly has to take at least a small portion of blame. I love G, but I’m not ready to call him messier. All together, he’s still a good captain. His players love him. He steps up at big times. He is what he is skill and size was. Not his fault he almost outscored Crosby over the last bunch of years and then drew comparisons. He’s not Crosby but he’s still an elite player.

As far as the team. We had largely the same lineup with the same coach so far with JVR being out. But we do have Patrick who has yet to impress this year. We had a chance to have Myers but he didn’t standout at camp. He still should have made it over Amac. Morin being hurt is big. I thought he had an outstanding camp last year but they don’t want to go with rookies. He would have made an impact this year. So it should have been Provy, Ghost, sanhiem, Gudas, Myers, Morin. Losing Hagg and amac along the way. The third line has vorobyev and JVR with Simmonds. That’s a lot of talent for a third line. Next year it will have Forst on it. It’s all a mixed bag but the big flags are Hakstol and hextall and their decisions. This year we should be on pace with the lesser of the caps and pens and prob win a playoff series. That’s the goal. So the longer things go bad the sooner they will pull the trigger to make that goal happen. Hopefully it’s hextall and Hakstol at this point.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Oh you mean:

SHOCKING
1. No one said Lindblom is going win the Calder. He’s been decent anyway.
2. Provy will win the Norris eventually or at least be a candidate soon.
3. No one said Couts is a point per guy. I think everyone would be very happy with 70 pts over 82 games.
4. Patrick has had major injuries until now. So far he’s lacking a bit so we will see. But he gets slack as he put up big pts last year in the second half and was our best player with Provy against the pens in the playoffs.
5. How should we fix the problem? Sign for a guy? Trade for a guy? That’s been attempted and doesn’t work. So we drafted a guy who is looking a ok. Maybe they could have done something like trade a first for a goalie that works out like the devils. That’s great to say in hindsight.

Flyers top 6 was something like 3rd in scoring. Provy lead the league in goals in his second year. Ghost set records his first year. Patrick was the clear number 1 for years until his injuries which aren’t expected to be long term. The players aren’t overrated. They just haven’t done anything of importance.

FlyRoutine

Aug 4, 2012
Every troll here feasting on the Flyers slump right now is well deserved. They play absolutely horrible. No effort, no heart, no passion, nothing. Its embarrassing.

I really miss those days under Laviolette when this team at least played with some poise, effort, passion and the determination to dictate the pace of a game instead or being reactive every single game. Since Berube this team lacks all of that and under Hakstol it even got worse.

Its really sad to see the prime years of Giroux, Voracek and Simmonds to be wasted away like this.

Reactions: Robbieb7

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Oh you mean:

SHOCKING
1. Few said that
2. Led the league in goals last year
3. He was last year
4. From Jan-April he produced the same as Nico did...52 point pace
5. You are absolutely correct

Trolling another Flyers thread? Shocking.

Maybe you are our good luck charm. Because whenever you try and rail on the Flyers or their prospects, they turn it around. After all, your bump of the Morgan Frost thread has turned out wonderful. Bumping it when he "only" had 5 points in 4 games. Now has 29 points in 15 games. Just keeping you up to date!

Last edited:
Reactions: CanuckistanFlyerfan

Sticktape

Jan 25, 2017
You don't need to dig too deep or over-think this. A large number of players on the team are completely ineffective and don't provide anything meaningful to the team.

Lehtera
Weise
MacDonald
Weal
Gudas
Hagg
Folin
Knight
Raffl
Whoever else I'm missing.

Those players contribute very, very little in any given game, and can't be relied upon to do anything substantial night in and night out. They are effectively warm bodies who occupy roster spots who don't do anything well with any type of consistency. On a good team these players are 4th liners or 3rd pairing defencemen at best. They're all just filler. The 3rd and 4th lines have no identity. Goaltending is terrible. When a large portion of your team is composed of players who are not good, your team does not win games.

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
you can't be a run and gun team without goaltending. you just can't. at the same time you can't blame your goalie for being hung out to dry. it's a slippery slope.

They play a 1-2-2 at all times, my guy.

I love it when you get analysis from people who have no idea what thry're talking about.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->