The Flyers Look bad.

pmwlker

Apr 13, 2018
Our defense (and goaltending but that goes without saying) is a tire fire despite a lot of our fans hyping it up as "the best young d prospect pool in the NHL."

- spend 6-years using draft capital on defense
- have the most GA of any team in the NHL INCLUDING an original 6 team who is off to their worst start in franchise history.
- when questioned about this: "dmen take a long time to develop! we need at least 5-6 years! pls believe me our defense will be set for the next decade!"

This is his 5th year and Ron Hextall has done NOTHING to try and fix this top 4 or goalie situation.
He is an awful GM and he deserves to be fired.

Done nothing to fix goaltending and top 4??????

How many goalies and defenders has he drafted?? He’s clearly addressed both just thru drafting and not free agency/trades like the previous regime.

TMLeafs17

Why so salty?
Oct 5, 2017
Their bottom pairing needs to work on their puck skills. Neither of them can handle it and it’s causing them to be hemmed in their own zone regularly.

The Burdened

May 1, 2017
Done nothing to fix goaltending and top 4??????

How many goalies and defenders has he drafted?? He’s clearly addressed both just thru drafting and not free agency/trades like the previous regime.
And how many of them are in the NHL contributing to the success of the Philadlephia Flyers? This is year 5 of a 4-year plan and we have the most GA of any team.

Ron Hextall has picked all of our starting goalies. Those are on him. He hand picked Brian Elliott & Michael Neuvirth.
If Carter Hart is not amazing, we're stuck in the same spin cycle we've been in for the last 20-years. Given how awful the D has looked, I don't like Hart's chances playing in front of this group that can't even complete a simple breakout pass without turning it over in our own zone.

Oh yeah about the prior WOAT regime. That same regime that actually won a playoff round? multiple conference finals apps? Cup final app?

Those were the days.
You know he's done an awful job when we're looking back at the Homer Cap Hell days with fondness.

Our defense is made of up 4/7 players who were drafted by the team and we have the most GA of any team in the league. I was told "it'll get better just wait until the defensive cavalry gets here!" Well.... they're here and it's not even close.

Reactions: ChicksDigTheTrap

ViewsFromThe6ix

Zachary on the Attackary
Oct 17, 2013
6ix
Ghost is developing a more refined two-way game that main board bumpkins wouldn't understand. "Couts" is an NHL #1 center.

I mean his 2 way numbers were decent prior to this season, and they've seen to have gotten worse in the 11 game sample so far, so I don't exactly know what you are referring to.

I think what's being seen here is that Provorov really isn't as good as he's made out to be, and the Flyers goaltending is horrid.

Reactions: Critical91

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
Our defense (and goaltending but that goes without saying) is a tire fire despite a lot of our fans hyping it up as "the best young d prospect pool in the NHL."

- spend 6-years using draft capital on defense
- have the most GA of any team in the NHL INCLUDING an original 6 team who is off to their worst start in franchise history.
- when questioned about this: "dmen take a long time to develop! we need at least 5-6 years! pls believe me our defense will be set for the next decade!"

This is his 5th year and Ron Hextall has done NOTHING to try and fix this top 4 or goalie situation.
He is an awful GM and he deserves to be fired.
Agreed the defense is veryviverated by Canucks fans but carter hart is a hell of a goalie. That's most likely one hole filled.

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
So there was a lot of hype coming into the year. Couts breaks out, Grioux back in form. Big addition in JVR. Nolan Patrick gets a full offseason to train for the first time ever after be played really well to end the year. Another year of growth for Provorov, etc.

So much hype! I remember all offseason trying to avoid the Flyer hype....and I couldn’t do it!

Everywhere I went it was flyer this or flyer that. One day I even tried to get some Toronto hype, but the flyer hype got in the way!

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Ghost is developing a more refined two-way game that main board bumpkins wouldn't understand. "Couts" is an NHL #1 center.
the latter doesn't really answer why Couturier isnt producing. He was a #1C for the team last year too and had a great year offensively

Ghost is still gettin 4:41 TOI on the PP per game which is top 5 in the league and most in his career (small sample alert)

I think theyll turn it around, theyre talented and there hasnt been alot of roster turnover vs last year from what i can tell. just wondering why their numbers are down thus far (again, small sample alert)

Royal Thunder

Frolunda Mode
Feb 21, 2012
I don't get how they allow so many goals against year after year. Seems like no other team gives up 5+ as consistently

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
the latter doesn't really answer why Couturier isnt producing. He was a #1C for the team last year too and had a great year offensively

It's possible that was just a career year. Never had more than 39 points in any previous season, and in 15-16, his 39 points in 63 games averages out to 51 points in 82. The 76 points he had last year was a lot.

Fire Tortorella

Formerly Flyersfan1406
Apr 2, 2010
PA
It's possible that was just a career year. Never had more than 39 points in any previous season, and in 15-16, his 39 points in 63 games averages out to 51 points in 82. The 76 points he had last year was a lot.

Couturier got an injury in pre-season and hasn't looked the same since. It's becoming obvious he was rushed back this year due to our lack of center depth...it was the same story last year with Simmonds.

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
Zero fire.

The players looked like they just don't care. Scary.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Couturier got an injury in pre-season and hasn't looked the same since. It's becoming obvious he was rushed back this year due to our lack of center depth...it was the same story last year with Simmonds.

Didn't know about the injury, but that can also screw things up for sure. What was the injury?

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
He also didn't play with Giroux previously and still was posting strong underlying scoring metrics given his role on the team. Also, prior to last year it seems like he had little to no PP time. He had 14 PP points last year alone, whereas he had a combined 23 in the 6 preceding years

Fire Tortorella

Formerly Flyersfan1406
Apr 2, 2010
PA
Didn't know about the injury, but that can also screw things up for sure. What was the injury?

Reinjured the same knee (but not confirmed the same injury) that he hurt in the playoffs last year. Did it in a charity game and it was a non-contact injury.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
I don't want to kick the Flyer after we beat them but their team defense and defense in general looked piss poor. Anders Lee and Nelson made moves that looked like Mario Lemieux out there and I don't think it's because they are that talented

Reactions: ChicksDigTheTrap

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad