The Flames offensive implosion this season

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
If mods this feel this isn't worthy of a thread just put it in the armchair GM one or whatever, but I think it is. Anyway...

The offense coming out of this team is nothing short of a total disaster. If you take out shootout goals, the flames are averaging 2.38 g/game, which is good for DEAD LAST in the league. If you pace that towards an 82 game schedule, that gets you to just 195 goals in a season (which would be 14 less than the 2013-14 Flames that were all but tanking for a high pick, and 20 less than the 2017-18 flames). That's also a nearly 100 goal drop from last season. Simply put, Peters needs to start tuning his system asap because this team isn't generating any resemblance of consistent offense.

And the offensive futility is pretty much across the board. Gaudreau is pacing for about 60 pts this season (which would be a 40% drop from last year and a career low), Monahan is pacing for just 16 goals (less than half his total last year and 6 less than his previous career low), Backs is pacing for just 28 pts (which would be his worst season in forever), the trio of sadness in Frolo, Looch, and Janks have a combined total of 1 goal and 7 points with 72 games played...

Both Tkachuk and Lindy are pacing for over 30 goals... the 3rd leading scorer (3 way tie in Gaudreau, Monahan, and Mangiapane) is on pace for just 16. This team had 5 20 goal scorers and 2 PPG players last year; right now, we aren't coming close to that. I expected some regression to the mean, but to go from second to last is a big indictment of how how poorly this team is playing. And if people are just hoping the PDO gods show mercy... well, it wasn't like that exactly ever came to be in 2017-18. Considering the quality of our transition play, I wouldn't be surprised if this continued until something drastically changes. Lots of work ahead for this squad.

lightstorm

Oct 17, 2016
Someone with a lot of time on their hands should go thru Nov-Dec-Jan tapes of top line shifts and compare them to this year to see the difference between how teams defended against the top line back then and what are they doing differently this year.

Because whatever the change in the approach to contain them was, Gaudreau Monahan and Lindholm havent been able to adjust. At all.

Reactions: super6646

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
It's not a surprise

Monahan, Lindholm and backlund have not scored consistently since last February. Gaudreau has been figured out by Colorado and every team has a video of it.

Peters has no clue on how to fix it. Next steps is to fire BT then the new manager can fire Peters

But I am quite satisfied with the tank. Nothing can be solved without new talent and that's the only way

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Well, things seems to make the most sense if you think all of the players suddenly went color blind to the color red. Can't string passes together/see each other, can't hit the net or post, passing to the wrong team...

:sarcasm:

ESH

Jun 19, 2011
Someone with a lot of time on their hands should go thru Nov-Dec-Jan tapes of top line shifts and compare them to this year to see the difference between how teams defended against the top line back then and what are they doing differently this year.

Because whatever the change in the approach to contain them was, Gaudreau Monahan and Lindholm havent been able to adjust. At all.

I think it has more to do with the top line themselves than other teams

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.

Since this happened (after a win against Arizona)... The Flames have put together a record of 2-5-1, been outscored 27-13, and have gone 3/26 on the power play.

I want to point to this as the problem - but like I mentioned somewhere else this issue goes back to about March of last season.

If we're looking for an "outside the box" reason that probably isn't based in reality, in addition to shutting down the top line, opposing teams would focus on shutting down James Neal early last season, but couldn't do it against both lines. After that "threat" was neutralized (more accurately, determined not to be a threat) teams could focus on the top line.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
The team has completely stopped skating. You're not going to win many games in this league if your opponents consistently beat you to loose pucks, beat you to defensive positions, beat you outside, beat you up and down the rink. The Flames last year scored a lot of their goals off the rush, when all 5 guys were moving their feet and getting open for each other, forcing turnovers, and creating open ice.

Whole team just stops as soon as they get the puck in the neutral zone, trying to pawn it off on someone else to go do the work. It's lazy trash hockey and results in a lot of dumb plays that go nowhere or the wrong way. Eventually you're going to have to beat a guy and win a battle, the team needs to recognize that.

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
We are too slow of a team.....how the heck did treliving think that a top 6 with three average to below average skaters (tkachuk, mony, Neal) was going to cut it?

Slowness is difficult to measure but basically you don’t get to the open areas, don’t break away from a momentarily flat footed dman and don’t back off defenders thus creating gap to expose.

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
Well, things seems to make the most sense if you think all of the players suddenly went color blind to the color red. Can't string passes together/see each other, can't hit the net or post, passing to the wrong team...

:sarcasm:
Simply, poor "puck-luck". That's it. That's all. Bound to "theoretically" correct itself over the next 10 years, or sooner in some cases. Sit back, enjoy what we can now ( when there is a joyous moment) and wait for turn-aroundin "luck".
Yah.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->