The Flames have 5 point-per-game players

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnnybegood13

Jul 11, 2003
Johnny Gaudreau effect. He's consistently shown the ability to transform 45-50 point players into PPG players. He did the same thing for Hudler as a rookie.

This is why I say Monahan would be closer to a 50-55 point player without Gaudreau. Still a very effective player but the impact Johnny has on linemate production is insane.

Also helps that Lindholm is a really good player and has been underrated for years.
I somewhat agree, I was crappy player compared to 99% of these guys but give me these new sticks and crazy passes on the tape like Gaudreau does I think I would be good for 12-15 goals instead of 5-6. But Lindholm is a far better player than I thought, I had no clue he had a great shot and the ability to get open like he has thus far.

I know you're not a big fan of Monahan but I think he's far better than you think, while not a typical center that hangs on the puck he does a lot of little unnoticed things that create space for Johnny and the RW(Lindholm now) and of course for a big guy he has that sneaky ability to slide into the open areas and snipe with his great release. Johnny helps him for sure but remember he had 22 goals as an 18 year rookie playing with linemates like Stempniak and Glencross.

Paper

Nov 4, 2009
Despite missing two games Giordano's 33 points would be team-leading on over half the teams in the league.

He's still 5th on the Flames.

Reactions: tmurfin and Bando

Reinhart

Jun 13, 2011
Biggest difference this year over last year's team was Gulutzan. Remember a couple of threads about "Calgary has the best defensive corps in the league"? Arguably they did. They had a bunch of racehorses that Bob Hartley utilized very well to make the Flames a quick transitioning 2-way team. What did Gulutzan decide to do? Use them as plough horses. Peters has this team transitioning quick, and the defence are a HUGE reason for that. They move the puck quickly out of the zone rather than wait to attack as a 5-man unit. I have shook my head 2 straight years in a row under Gulutzan's apparent lack of awareness of the tools he had at his disposal. This season is even crazier - all 6 defencemen can make really good tape-to-tape stretch passes, or can simply skate it out of the zone and start the transition themselves.

Lindholm and Hanifin have both been very, very good for the Flames this season. They are a huge plus for this organization. I just saw a fast team playing soooooooo damn slow last season. Look at them this year - they are quick and dangerous again, only with loads more talent than Hartley had to work with.

Gulutzan's system seems to work better for the Oilers. They don't have defencemen that can transition the puck well outside of Klefbom. They are a slower team outside of McDavid for the most part. That 5 man system works well for them when McDavid isn't on the ice. For a team with decent overall speed and with capable puck-moving defencemen, not so much.

quackquackquack

Oct 10, 2012
Thats cool and all but they also have one of the worst starting goalies in the league. Don't trust them in the playoffs

debil

Sep 23, 2006
If the flames made playoff this year, it is still open qoestion how would gaudreau &co do there this time. Last time they scored ZERO 5on5 goals against anaheim in playoffs series.

debil

Sep 23, 2006
Nobody expects the Flames to finish with 5 ppg players. The only likely player to hit a ppg is Gaudreau. Although I think Monahan, Lindholm, and Tkachuk will likely finish with around 70 points.

Any downplay in these 5 will hopefully be off-set by players who are just starting to find their offensive game now: Jankowski, Hanifin, Brodie, Backlund, Czarnik, etc...The Flames biggest strength this season has been depth.

5ppg players is not sustainable. I'd like to believe that but no they aint gonna do this long-term. And the decline in production does not automatically means someone else will cover this gap in production.

cheechoo

˗ˋˏ ♡ ˎˊ˗ Tomas Hertl #48 ˗ˋˏ ♡ ˎˊ˗
Dec 13, 2018
suspended in gaffa
If the flames made playoff this year, it is still open qoestion how would gaudreau &co do there this time. Last time they scored ZERO 5on5 goals against anaheim in playoffs series.

They statistically dominated Anaheim last go-around. Gibson was just a concrete wall, where as Elliott gave one of the worst goaltending performances in the modern era.

debil

Sep 23, 2006
They statistically dominated Anaheim last go-around. Gibson was just a concrete wall, where as Elliott gave one of the worst goaltending performances in the modern era.

hmm no i watched those games and there was simple no puck possession in the offensive zone. you can be unlucky in one game but no in the whole series.

cheechoo

˗ˋˏ ♡ ˎˊ˗ Tomas Hertl #48 ˗ˋˏ ♡ ˎˊ˗
Dec 13, 2018
suspended in gaffa
hmm no i watched those games and there was simple no puck possession in the offensive zone. you can be unlucky in one game but no in the whole series.

"The whole series" sounds grandeur than it actually is. It was only four games and that's not a large sample size. Gibson dominated Elliott to a far greater extent than the Ducks dominated the Flames (if they dominated at all). High danger scoring chances were about even (38HDSC for Anaheim compared to 35HDSC for Calgary) with the Flames outshooting the Ducks throughout those games. Yes the Ducks had the better roster, but the Flames weren't as bad as the final series count suggests.

Anyways, The Flames have vastly improved since then, and Anaheim has aged. Plus the whole HoNdA cUrSe thing has finally been overwhelmed.

I'd love to see a rematch.

Snakepit

Nov 19, 2013
The Flames looked really really good last year too...until they didn't.

Nah they looked like poo the last 2 years. Even when they were winning games it was usually either a goalie stealing it for them or welding out an OT win. Then whenever goaltending got cold so did the team, it was just a product of the way Gulutzan wanted them to play.

Peters actually has a system that uses the rosters strengths.

Reactions: OvermanKingGainer

moose3322

Apr 3, 2007
This could continue all season at this rate

What does this even mean?!? Of course if you assume something will happen at this rate, it by definition will continue all season at that rate.

-> Laine scores 5 goals. “Laine could score 5 goals a game for the rest of the season, if he continues playing at this rate. Pretty impressive, if you ask me”

Qurpiz

Carry me home!
Nov 5, 2006
I would like to hear from board operators on the measures they're taking for the possibility of Battle of Alberta taking place in the playoffs.

Because this place will melt down.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
What does this even mean?!? Of course if you assume something will happen at this rate, it by definition will continue all season at that rate.

-> Laine scores 5 goals. “Laine could score 5 goals a game for the rest of the season, if he continues playing at this rate. Pretty impressive, if you ask me”
Sample size. 34 games into the season is a larger sample size than a single game.

One again I think Gaudreau will likely be the only one to pull it off, but you never know. It's been 25 years since I've seen a Flames team play this consistently well for so many games.

The typical M.O. is to play inconsistently but then have a 10 game hot streak. The depth and all around play by the entire team is just better this year. Tkachuk is good enough offensively that he can drive a second line. The defensive depth is amazing. All the young rookies are strong contributors, as opposed to the usual bottom pairing of soon to be non-NHLers. The top line with two genuine 1st line playmakers is great.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
The Blues seem to be supporting the Flames here. Pulled the goalie with 5 minutes left and down by three. Empty net goal by Johnny. Assists from Monahan and Lindholm.

Paper

Nov 4, 2009
The Flames had 1 shot in the first 17 minutes of the third. The goalie was pointless at that point :P

After 34:

Gaudreau - 45
Tkachuk - 40
Monahan - 39
Lindholm - 37
Giordano - 35 (in 32)

Giordano's 35 points would lead 18 teams in the league.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad