The Flames have 5 point-per-game players

Status
Not open for further replies.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
Johnny Gaudreau effect. He's consistently shown the ability to transform 45-50 point players into PPG players. He did the same thing for Hudler as a rookie.

This is why I say Monahan would be closer to a 50-55 point player without Gaudreau. Still a very effective player but the impact Johnny has on linemate production is insane.

Also helps that Lindholm is a really good player and has been underrated for years.

I knew he was a quality player, but his numbers never jumped out. Your explanation makes sense.

crazyfisherman

Sharangovich fanboy
Sep 22, 2012
I swear it was the coaching, GG neutered the defensemen's offensive production which one of the best in previous years, and that was with a better offensive talent in hamilton. Now that our D is joining the rush again, the team just looks so much more dangerous.

mphmiles

Jan 1, 2017
Since about the 2nd half of last season, Tkachuk has 62 points in 66 games while playing on a line that's as focused on shutting down the opposing team's top line as it is scoring.

He talked about working hard to take steps forward offensively after his rookie season, and it looks like him doing that + adding another scoring threat on the top line and PP with Lindholm, has catapulted them into contender status. (Peters deserves some credit as well, of course)

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Johnny Gaudreau effect. He's consistently shown the ability to transform 45-50 point players into PPG players. He did the same thing for Hudler as a rookie.

This is why I say Monahan would be closer to a 50-55 point player without Gaudreau. Still a very effective player but the impact Johnny has on linemate production is insane.

Also helps that Lindholm is a really good player and has been underrated for years.

A few Flames fans though have remarked that the JG-Money-Lindy line has been evolving play wise for the first time in the last few seasons. The saying was that it seemed as if the 3 of them are teaching each other their tricks and rounding out there game. Not only that, they're having success and FUN while doing so. Monahan has also recently shown a play style we haven't seen before away from Gaudreau. It was described as being along the lines of Monahan trying to drive his own line vs sitting passenger to Gaudreau's play making abilities. I think Mony's health is a huge reason for that too.

Johnny
- Improved shot (Lindholm?)
- A little more engaged in board play (Lindholm?)

Lindholm
- Improved finish (Mony?/good positioning from Gaudreau and Mony's playmaking?)
- Improved offense (there was a lot of discussion on how he had a ton of defensive play and meh offence)

Monahan
- Improved board play and puck retrieval (Lindholm?)
- Attempts to drive the line more, especially when separated from Gaudreau (Lindholm?)

But also, perhaps it's more a Peter's thing, but Gaudreau doesn't look as anxious as in years past. He looks like he's having fun again like in his rookie season and willing to get creative. Under Gully, there was a lot of "rinse and repeat" with Gaudreau seemingly giving up the shot too often rather than try to shoot it himself. This year, he's willing to shoot again and keep goalies honest/embarrassing them when the opportunity presents itself. It might be a creativity returning vs the mechanical play that life was under Gully.

There was a lot of upset Flames fans at first when the Peters hire was declared and early season when Peters was still figuring things out. Most were mad that Treliving didn't even bother chatting up other coaches (ie: Trotz, AV etc.), Tre wanted Peters after working with him for the world cup and that was that. Peters has been fantastic for us. He's been like a perfect combination of Gully and Hartley's best attributes.

mphmiles

Jan 1, 2017
A few Flames fans though have remarked that the JG-Money-Lindy line has been evolving play wise for the first time in the last few seasons. The saying was that it seemed as if the 3 of them are teaching each other their tricks and rounding out there game. Not only that, they're having success and FUN while doing so. Monahan has also recently shown a play style we haven't seen before away from Gaudreau. It was described as being along the lines of Monahan trying to drive his own line vs sitting passenger to Gaudreau's play making abilities. I think Mony's health is a huge reason for that too.

Johnny
- Improved shot (Lindholm?)
- A little more engaged in board play (Lindholm?)

Lindholm
- Improved finish (Mony?/good positioning from Gaudreau and Mony's playmaking?)
- Improved offense (there was a lot of discussion on how he had a ton of defensive play and meh offence)

Monahan
- Improved board play and puck retrieval (Lindholm?)
- Attempts to drive the line more, especially when separated from Gaudreau (Lindholm?)

But also, perhaps it's more a Peter's thing, but Gaudreau doesn't look as anxious as in years past. He looks like he's having fun again like in his rookie season and willing to get creative. Under Gully, there was a lot of "rinse and repeat" with Gaudreau seemingly giving up the shot too often rather than try to shoot it himself. This year, he's willing to shoot again and keep goalies honest/embarrassing them when the opportunity presents itself. It might be a creativity returning vs the mechanical play that life was under Gully.

There was a lot of upset Flames fans at first when the Peters hire was declared and early season when Peters was still figuring things out. Most were mad that Treliving didn't even bother chatting up other coaches (ie: Trotz, AV etc.), Tre wanted Peters after working with him for the world cup and that was that. Peters has been fantastic for us. He's been like a perfect combination of Gully and Hartley's best attributes.

I think part of the increased production from guys like Monahan and Gaudreau is also simply Peters having the power play producing more like it should/being unacceptably bad last year under GG. Yes, they added Lindholm who is a great player, but there is no way a power play on a team with guys like Gaudreau, Monahan, Giordano, Hamilton, and Tkachuk should have been 3rd to last in the entire league last year at 16%. This year it's vastly improved at 11th in the league, and those guys are picking up points on special teams at a level that you would more expect.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I think part of the increased production from guys like Monahan and Gaudreau is also simply Peters having the power play producing more like it should/being unacceptably bad last year under GG. Yes, they added Lindholm who is a great player, but there is no way a power play on a team with guys like Gaudreau, Monahan, Giordano, Hamilton, and Tkachuk should have been 3rd to last in the entire league last year at 16%. This year it's vastly improved at 11th in the league, and those guys are picking up points on special teams at a level that you would more expect.

Agreed. But IIRC, for the first 10-15 games or so, our power play and PK were still just as bad as last season. I believe it has only been recently that the PK and PP have been punishing for the other teams. There's a little bit of chicken and egg with that. Has Peters fixed the PP and PK systems issues (likely due to Gully's rigidity in his systems/we knew that the players couldn't be so bad as PP and PK were respectable under Hartley)? Or have the players figured out how to evolve their game and apply their skills in a manner that the PP and PK has been more effective?

The obvious answer probably is "Why not both?" and whatever the fundamental reason for the improvements, I'm happy to see that success. :)

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Oilers fans are so obsessed with the Flames, we even take over the Saddledome
Kind of like a loud obnoxious belligerent drunk can take over a bar. He's there, everyone knows it, and everyone wants him to go home asap.

Reactions: guzzy

mphmiles

Jan 1, 2017
Agreed. But IIRC, for the first 10-15 games or so, our power play and PK were still just as bad as last season. I believe it has only been recently that the PK and PP have been punishing for the other teams. There's a little bit of chicken and egg with that. Has Peters fixed the PP and PK systems issues (likely due to Gully's rigidity in his systems/we knew that the players couldn't be so bad as PP and PK were respectable under Hartley)? Or have the players figured out how to evolve their game and apply their skills in a manner that the PP and PK has been more effective?

The obvious answer probably is "Why not both?" and whatever the fundamental reason for the improvements, I'm happy to see that success. :)
For sure, I just thought it was something worth noting.

Reactions: Fig

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
huh? we're 4-1 in our last 5 games
Small sample size but all that aside two of those 4 wins were against the two worst teams in the league (LA and StL) and even then you barely beat both of them (3-2 and 3-2 SO) respectively. Not much to be proud of really.

ESH

Jun 19, 2011
Yeah he had us playing like a Hitchcock team (ironic), although I think it could absolutely work for the Oilers when you look at their roster. But our team is mediocre defensively. We have all these offensively oriented defenseman. Plus, Gaudreau and Monahan, a great offensive pair, but not exactly exactly shutdown players.

Bill Belichek always said, “don’t get guys to do things they aren’t good at”. Gulutzan wanted us to play his system rather than tailor his system to his players.

The biggest change is TJ Brodie, just let that guy go out and do his thing. He’s better than any system than Gulutzan could draw up. Peters recognizing that and TJ is leading the league in plus minus.

I do think Gulutzan helped our defensive zone coverage which was a mess under Hartley, but his system was just highly flawed and incredibly boring.

I think defensive zone coverage was one of the biggest issues with Gulutzan’s coaching

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I see you've never been been to a certain Flames fan website that has a dedicated Oilers thread over 4000 post long
rhymes with Calgarysuck.com
Typical Oilers fan.... always obsessed with what CP says. Why do you even visit that site? Isn't reading the stuff fellow HFOil fans post about the Oilers failures punishment enough?

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
This all sounds a bit..... #unsustainable.

Nobody expects the Flames to finish with 5 ppg players. The only likely player to hit a ppg is Gaudreau. Although I think Monahan, Lindholm, and Tkachuk will likely finish with around 70 points.

Any downplay in these 5 will hopefully be off-set by players who are just starting to find their offensive game now: Jankowski, Hanifin, Brodie, Backlund, Czarnik, etc...The Flames biggest strength this season has been depth.

Reactions: InfinityIggy

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Typical Oilers fan.... always obsessed with what CP says. Why do you even visit that site? Isn't reading the stuff fellow HFOil fans post about the Oilers failures punishment enough?
Visiting that site and posting on that site are two different things
And who’s says I go there often? I simply know it exists

JuJu Mobb

Montreal Canadiens
Dec 9, 2009
Solid defense and improve offense with Lindholm.

Still some question marks in net, but Rittich is doing a good job so far and Smith won more games than he lost so there's that.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
The Flames looked really really good last year too...until they didn't.

They have been one of those teams that can play incredible but still have the potential to completely collapse.

Not saying that as an Oilers fan, just a fan of hockey.

Jan 29, 2009
Edmonton/Calgary

They have been one of those teams that can play incredible but still have the potential to completely collapse.

Lots of turnover this past off season though. Youth on D and a revamped bottom 6 with more emphasis on speed and not "truculence".

Reactions: DominikBokkFan

Iggys Dome

Not allowed to say the “R-Word” (rebuild)
Mar 19, 2018
Cap Space

People keep saying this, but fail to realize just how much of an impact the Hamilton trade had on the locker room and on the ice, as well with how poor of a coach GG was (who I can guarantee will never be a HC in the NHL again, he had no man management and could not read the room to save his life).

I’m not saying this team is all of a sudden cup contenders, but this is not the Flames of yesteryear I can assure you that.

Reactions: DominikBokkFan
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->