The Flames have 5 point-per-game players

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Where the heck did Lindholm come from? Is he for real?

He's showing why he was highly touted in his draft. The way he's playing, with that shot, I don't know how he didn't put up bigger numbers in Carolina. Maybe it's playing with Gaudreau and Monahan, but still...

Calgareee

Jun 29, 2015
I’m just in shock with Lindholm’s shot after what we were told to expect from Carolina fans.... He is regularly beating goalies clean with wristers from a decent distance and has even scored a one timer clapper goal! (We don’t see those often as flames fans, seriously... think we have 2 or 3 this year)

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
As opposed to the Oilers, who always have losing on their minds.

giphy.gif

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I’m just in shock with Lindholm’s shot after what we were told to expect from Carolina fans.... He is regularly beating goalies clean with wristers from a decent distance and has even scored a one timer clapper goal! (We don’t see those often as flames fans, seriously... think we have 2 or 3 this year)

I remember watching this kid non-stop in his draft year. I wanted him so bad; he had a killer shot, was a puck hound and had a physical element. When watching him as a 17/18 year old, I saw a poor man's Forsberg... but considering Forsberg was a legendary NHLer; I thought Lindholm would be a top line C in the NHL.

The best part was, when Calgary traded for him, I was like Maaan, he's going to have a great time playing with Johnny with that shot; and I literally got laughed out of the thread by Canes fans :laugh:

If someone told me I had to choose between having Monahan or Lindholm this year, it's Elias.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
To answer your questions he came from Carolina and yes he is for real.

TBH, I'm just as surprised as everyone about Lindholm. I knew he would be better playing with Gaudreau (best playmaker in the league) and I thought he could put up about 60 pts playing with Johnny but I wasn't expecting this:
29 games - 15 goals / 17 assists - 32 pts.
On pace to score 40+ goals and 45+ assists.

Previous seasons highs - 17 goals & 34 assists (different seasons for each)

And to top it all off he has a current +/- of +12
Prior to this season his +/- has always been a negative number.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
shocking to hear tbh

Flames are probably one of the teams i follow the least - and if you had told me to guess which team in the league has 5 ppg players - i don't think i pick them in the first 15 teams, or more.

Pretty impressive. I still think they're largely pretenders and will come down to earth as season progresses - and probably miss playoffs. This is mostly due to their underwhelming results in past few years. Maybe this year changes

Translation:
I don't follow these guys, so here's some hot take with nothing to substantiate it with.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Translation:
I don't follow these guys, so here's some hot take with nothing to substantiate it with.

I don't disagree and I literally admitted that in my post.

Still based on last few years of disappointing results - i'm of a show me before I believe mentality, and still don't expect them to sustain results.

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
Translation:

Remember when they fell apart when they had a drastically different line up?

Ya, that will probably happen again.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012

Still based on last few years of disappointing results - i'm of a show me before I believe mentality, and still don't expect them to sustain results.

With a roster that's been essentially 50% overhauled?
They have some of the best underlying numbers in the NHL. It's not like they're rocking the 103 PDO. Essentially they should have a better record than they even have currently with how they're playing this year.

Calgareee

Jun 29, 2015

I don’t really disagree to be honest but the thing that makes me a very cautious believer in this team is that they’re doing it in a completely different way then last year.

If you had watched the Flames of the last two years and then this years team and they weren’t wearing the same uniform you wouldn’t even know they were the same team.

This team seems to figure out ways to win games and in a lot of cases outright dominate other teams. Sometimes the score doesn’t reflect that but even then with some subpar goaltending they are still getting points.

Bottom line is these guys are not the same team as last year and Peters has seemed to figure out how to get the most out of this roster (at this point).

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Johnny Gaudreau effect. He's consistently shown the ability to transform 45-50 point players into PPG players. He did the same thing for Hudler as a rookie.

This is why I say Monahan would be closer to a 50-55 point player without Gaudreau. Still a very effective player but the impact Johnny has on linemate production is insane.

Also helps that Lindholm is a really good player and has been underrated for years.

Reactions: BHD

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Johnny Gaudreau effect. He's consistently shown the ability to transform 45-50 point players into PPG players. He did the same thing for Hudler as a rookie.

This is why I say Monahan would be closer to a 50-55 point player without Gaudreau. Still a very effective player but the impact Johnny has on linemate production is insane.

The Johnny/Mony/Hudler effect and the Johnny/Lindholm effect is vastly different.
Monahan essentially gets to be a trigger on the line. He rarely touches the puck in transition or in the offensive zone. Johnny defers to Lindholm often in the O-zone. Even Jiri Hudler wasn't deferred to as much.

While I think Johnny does inflate stats, Lindholm is keeping up with him on multiple levels and not just being part of equation.

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
No, but it's a fair response. The Flames' story up to this point is "boy, if they get goaltending, watch out." Well, now our goaltending is finally trending up, so yeah.... look out.

I think it’s been more of: boy if the flames get goaltending they will be a good team.

Zalos

Berktwad
Feb 2, 2009
Quebec
Well, they do tend to score a shit ton of goals this year. I'm worried about their presence in net, though.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Well, they do tend to score a **** ton of goals this year. I'm worried about their presence in net, though.

We still are too. That being said, Rittich has been really good, and Smith *seems* to have found his groove in the last 5 games or so. We need a bigger sample before we can unclench our buttholes every time the opposing team takes a shot on net though :P

Royal Thunder

Frolunda Mode
Feb 21, 2012

They have a wildly improved roster from a year ago though, and it was obvious even in the summer. They greatly improved their bottom 6, 3rd pair, RW, and coaching. Overall forward depth is way way better

Wayne Primeau

Stay Gold
Apr 22, 2014
Ottawa
Lindholm's best attribute is his shot, which is probably the best on the Flames. It's so strange that it was advertised as one of his worst qualities before the season -- his release has been a game-changer.

Reactions: DominikBokkFan
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad