The first PP unit

LeafOfBread

Feb 25, 2010
Mississauga, ON
Can we stop icing this garbage unit? I can't even remember the last time the Franson-Phaneuf combo scored a goal. Lately it's been the second unit doing the work, led by Rielly and Gardiner. Move these guys up, there's also less of a risk of shorthanded goals since they can actually skate back in time unlike Franson and sometimes Phaneuf.

Revolt

Mar 10, 2010
Toronto
Can we stop icing this garbage unit? I can't even remember the last time the Franson-Phaneuf combo scored a goal. Lately it's been the second unit doing the work, led by Rielly and Gardiner. Move these guys up, there's also less of a risk of shorthanded goals since they can actually skate back in time unlike Franson and sometimes Phaneuf.

Yep, there are a few of us that have been saying this for weeks-months now. Not sure why Carlyle forces this brutal pairing on for the PP each time.

Jimmy Firecracker

They Fired Sheldon!
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
Rielly-phaneuf
Gardiner-franson

Please!! Ffs

Seriously. Or even just put Rielly-Gardiner on the first unit. Just break up Franson-Phaneuf or get them the **** off the first unit. We've been saying to put Gardiner/Rielly with Phaneuf/Franson for months but the coaching staff doesn't get it.

Duke Silver

Truce?
Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/St. John's
Our PP is too much of a one-trick pony these days. So predictable. All teams have to do is put pressure on Kessel and 50% of the time it ends up with a turnover. Franson can't hit the net and Phaneuf is too pre-occupied with his backhand saucer passes to Kessel on the half wall. Teams have figured us out. Time to switch things up.

HarrisonFord

President of the Drew Doughty Fan Club
Jul 20, 2011
Toronto
I'd actually prefer to have:

Gardiner - Phaneuf
Rielly - Franson

With Phaneuf and Franson on the top PP unit, you are putting two shooters on the point. Not really puck movers. You know what makes two shooters effective? Having guys who can crowd the net, screen the goalie, tip shots, and pounce on rebounds. We have Kessel, Bozak, and JVR out there. Outside of JVR, how good are the other two at these things? Not very good at all.

Get Franson off there who offers nothing but his shot, and replace him with Gardiner who can shoot and his movement/puck distribution is his biggest strength on the PP. You know who benefits from this? EVERY ONE OF OUR FORWARDS ON THE TOP PP. Especially our most dangerous player Phil Kessel. Then he can have someone to work with down low AND up at the point.

Erdinger

Oct 6, 2011
Toronto
The way people talk about Franson's shot you would think he's some sort of Al MacInnis. I've never seen this mythical point man in Franson.

Purity*

Jan 29, 2010
More stupidity from Carlyle...

Make what you will of it, we've pretty much seen it all by this point. We got 2 shooters and 2 skaters/passers. What does Carlyle do? Just take a guess:D

Banic

Jun 23, 2010
Toronto
Refused to watch the game, but I can apply say I've been saying this for months. Either split the 2 up or swap d pairings. Franson is redundant on this team now without offensive production.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
The PP is not the problem of this team. Leafs are 3rd in the NHL in PP%. Hardly an issue to our current problems.

LeafOfBread

Feb 25, 2010
Mississauga, ON
The PP is not the problem of this team. Leafs are 3rd in the NHL in PP%. Hardly an issue to our current problems.

Except most of that was stacked up early in the season and the first unit has been horrible for months now. Also their road pp% is very poor. I don't think you understand what I'm trying to say. Read more carefully please.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Except most of that was stacked up early in the season and the first unit has been horrible for months now. Also their road pp% is very poor. I don't think you understand what I'm trying to say. Read more carefully please.

Franson is pretty good on the PP, it's about his only redeeming quality. Dion is hurt, or I think he is hurt, he left a game after the Olympics and returned and hasn't been the same.

If you want to move Rielly up, maybe I'd do it. But this PP has been pretty good the last 2 years. I think there is a stat Phaneuf has more PP points for a Defenceman or is up there in the NHL than most. Got to stick with what has gotten us this far IMO.

LeafOfBread

Feb 25, 2010
Mississauga, ON
Franson is pretty good on the PP, it's about his only redeeming quality. Dion is hurt, or I think he is hurt, he left a game after the Olympics and returned and hasn't been the same.

If you want to move Rielly up, maybe I'd do it. But this PP has been pretty good the last 2 years. I think there is a stat Phaneuf has more PP points for a Defenceman or is up there in the NHL than most. Got to stick with what has gotten us this far IMO.

I don't mind Phaneuf and he is a strong PP dman, but the combination with Franson is not working and even cost us multiple shorthanded goals. Phaneuf's PP production has actually slipped a bit and that's probably cause he has another shoot first guy with him. Both guys should be with puck movers.

Jacquestrapless

Jun 5, 2011
Mississauga
Surprised no one has asked Randy this. That 5 on 3 tonight was atrocious. I remember the only game gardiner-phaneuf was a pairing in was the bruins and they did well. Creativity is needed on the powerplay now that every team covers kessel's shot and jvr's between the legs pass.

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
Not to mention they scored on the pp prior with Jake and morgan holding the line

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario

5 for 26 in last 10 games is 19.2% which would be right around the top 10 the pp is not the issue

LeafOfBread

Feb 25, 2010
Mississauga, ON
5 for 26 in last 10 games is 19.2% which would be right around the top 10 the pp is not the issue

Again you are missing the point, I am not saying the PP as a whole is the issue. Please read. The issue is with the first unit, they get the majority of the PP time yet they have been horrible and they are put out there first on critical PPs , yet it is the second unit getting it done and scoring those goals recently. Also that statistic of yours is skewed because three of those goals came in the last 4 alone. In fact before this weekend the PP had slipped to 8th, Bowen mentioned on the radio yesterday too that the overall efficiency had significantly gone down the past few months.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
There's no doubt the second unit is getting some decent powerplay production. The first unit is a disaster though. Those guys go out first and waste a minute or more leaving less time for the second unit to clean up their mess. Either mix some things up or put that other unit out first.

Avec Fromage*

Rielly - Franson would be a shorthanded goal-breeding disaster. Franson is slow and awful at keeping the puck in the zone, which was evidenced again tonight.

mikebel111*

The forwards on 1st PP have trouble getting in the zone it seems.
U see kadri do it with relative ease. However i do agree u need a puck mover on each line. Franny and dion are scary on the point

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad