GDT: The First of July Part II | Wait, we need to run more than two lines?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I don't think people who don't watch the Leafs play understand how much Kessel can actually create on his own. He's not James Neal. He's known for his goal scoring, but his passing/playmaking is really underrated.

Sid/Geno will help Kessel score goals, but Kessel's also going to make those two (whichever he plays with) a bigger threat to score as well.

He'd also probably lap Neal in a 4 lap race around the rink.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Exactly. This is why I was bothered to see some Kessel to Neal comparisons come up this past week (moreso on radio and such than here). Neal can't create on his own nearly as well as Kessel. It's not close in that regard.

I really like James Neal (though I do wish he had asserted himself physically more-often), but I don't think these two are even close.

Malkin was steroids for Neal. Kessel walks around juiced up.

(jesus, this is a bad analogy). I honestly can't wait. The power play is going to be insane.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
If his price drops enough, I'd at least give him a call. But I really don't see him as what we need. His biggest strength really is the powerplay. We don't need that nearly enough to want to pay him what he'll likely get from somehow who does need that.

He's also a good puck mover. And he's added a physical dimension to his game (his hits totals might surprise you). His big problem is one that Letang struggles with from time to time. Franson has this uncanny ability to make the dumbest decisions with the puck in his own zone sometimes. Which is why I said ideally you want him paired with someone rock-solid defensively, which I don't really think the Pens have on pairings two and three.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I have the fourth line as...

Not Craig Adams-Not Craig Adams-Not Craig Adams

10180355.gif

realityis

Jun 15, 2012
I don't know man , Sid and Kessel would by dynamite. Anything would be fine but I prefer him with Sid.

Me too. Sid needs more speed than what Perron and Hornqvist bring. Flanking Sid with both is very neutralizing.
I would honestly go Sid Kessel
Perron Malkin and go from there.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
My biggest issue with Franson is he can't skate.

i know Ryan Wilson doesn't care, because he has nice underlying stats, but... when he became the Leafs #1 and when he got moved to Nashville, those "underlying stats" didn't really help him overcome the fact that he can't skate.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
He's also a good puck mover. And he's added a physical dimension to his game (his hits totals might surprise you). His big problem is one that Letang struggles with from time to time. Franson has this uncanny ability to make the dumbest decisions with the puck in his own zone sometimes. Which is why I said ideally you want him paired with someone rock-solid defensively, which I don't really think the Pens have on pairings two and three.

Like I said, if he came cheap enough I'd take him. I just don't see how someone else who needs PP help won't be willing to pay him more than we will.

NeedleInTheHay

Mar 26, 2008
I really like James Neal (though I do wish he had asserted himself physically more-often), but I don't think these two are even close.

Malkin was steroids for Neal. Kessel walks around juiced up.

(jesus, this is a bad analogy). I honestly can't wait. The power play is going to be insane.

That's what we said last year. Wait till it gets Tocchetted.

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
the good news is, Jim Rutherford seemed to intimate that Hornqvist and Kessel would be on separate lines. They may not know which line yet, but it won't be the same line. I think that's key. Each center gets an elite, or borderline elite, player. Fill in the rest.

Well, that is good news of a sort. There has been a tendency to try to force square pegs in to round holes with team. Has Hörnqvist ever played LW? Probably not a good idea to try to force a guy to play in a new position at this point in his career.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad