THE Fire Torts Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cbus1979

Jan 18, 2014
Im looking at 2 playoff appearances in a row ,with torts..better than any coach weve had,some of the line ups we had in january..and we still made it,he should be nominated for best coach of the year.We dont have the veteran depth that Washington has..and still could have won...

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
If we had lost one or two games down the stretch and missed the playoffs by a point or two would peoples opinions be different?

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
What if people could just answer the question rather than going esoteric?:sarcasm:

That would be impossible for some because it would take some of the fun out of the discussion. It's all Sgt Friday here, just the facts... and besides what if the Jackets hadn't sucked in January and february and finished first in the division would they have beat Philly? :)

Nordique

Add smoked meat, and we have a deal.
Aug 11, 2005
Ohio
Im looking at 2 playoff appearances in a row ,with torts..better than any coach weve had,some of the line ups we had in january..and we still made it,he should be nominated for best coach of the year.We dont have the veteran depth that Washington has..and still could have won...

Agreed, and in those playoff appearances we lost to the Stanley Cup Champs (PIT), and to the team that has won 2 out of the last 3 President's trophies and finished 1st in the Metro 3 of the last 4 years (WSH).

These are A level teams, the reality is we are a B level team. I don't feel our coach is what's holding us back. There might be 5-6 teams in the league that have everything in place to contend for the cup, and we are in the ring of teams just outside that circle. If it was as simple as making a move or 2 to jump from B to A, then there wouldn't just be 5-6 A level teams.

But the good news is, we've finally graduated from C/D status, and are a consistent playoff team.

A - level teams: WSH, PIT, TMP, NSH, SJS

B - level teams: VGK, LAK, COL, WPG, MIN, STL, CBJ, TOR, PHI, BOS

C/D - the other 16 teams

Reactions: Monk

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Which half does "we" fall into into? But I think the argument falls apart if only 40% are or 60% aren't.

If 40 percent are, wouldn't 60 percent automatically be aren't?

3e1870c23e5e6108dc04baffa5cd4341.gif

Reactions: MoeBartoli

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
If we had lost one or two games down the stretch and missed the playoffs by a point or two would peoples opinions be different?
I'll bite. My take on human nature tells me that no playoffs would have had more people heating the tar and plucking feathers.....But during that stretch Torts did some of his best bench work of the year in using his four line depth, allowing Sonny to play (albeit somewhat forced), allowing the team to be freer on offense (again somewhat forced because they trailed a lot), and didn't "over-coach" things. So I'll give him credit for guiding the team thru that closing stretch.

Reactions: Cyclones Rock

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I have a request. Can we, as a board and a fanbase, try to go just one week without mentioning William f***ing Karlsson one more g-ddamn time? I don't give a shit about any side of the debate anymore; I'm just tired of seeing his name be the answer to anything and everything everywhere. We're approaching Dan Smith In Syracuse levels of batshit insanity here.

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
I have a request. Can we, as a board and a fanbase, try to go just one week without mentioning William ****ing Karlsson one more g-ddamn time? I don't give a **** about any side of the debate anymore; I'm just tired of seeing his name be the answer to anything and everything everywhere. We're approaching Dan Smith In Syracuse levels of bat**** insanity here.

I can abide by this request.. I don't really get what all the fuss is about anyway. Everyone in Mgmt needs to make tough decisions, some turn out right.. some not so. Torts is a good man, who has changed a great deal even during his tenure with us. Lets support our coach.

Lets talk draft.. is it time for Jarmo to score big in the first 3 rounds? seems like most of his value is brought about in the bottom 3rd of the draft.. trade up and rock their world Jarmo!!

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2002
John Tortorella Says He Needs to Learn From How He Handled William Karlsson, Who's Lighting It Up For Vegas

"I don't regret how we handled him," Tortorella said of Karlsson, who scored six goals for the Blue Jackets in 2016-17. "When the series is over, I'll give him a couple of weeks, but I'm going to call Bill and ask him: is there anything I could have done differently to get that offense out of him? I do need to learn from it."

"I'm certainly not going to sit back here and see a guy score 40 goals and say 'man, we treated him OK, why didn't he do it for us?'" Tortorella said. "I'm going to talk to Bill."

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Hopefully when they talk, he listens and applies what he learns on a consistent basis.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008

Well this is a huge nothing burger.

Of course they will have him back:laugh::laugh: Trotz has an immense amount of leverage with the Caps. They left him hanging all year, extended his GM and I heard that the owner wasn't enthralled with him and publicly stated as much, and he just won a Cup. The Caps have zero leverage with him.

Trotz might go to the Islanders. If not there, then he can sit back and wait until next season starts. When coaches start falling, he will be the first name mentioned for every opening.

I'm going to guess he gets a minimum of $5 million for 4 or more years somewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->