The Finally Official Scott Hannan Appreciation Thread..again

Kcoyote3

Half-wall Hockey - link below!
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2012
www.half-wallhockey.com
Scott Hannan won't be returning to the Sharks next season, at least not as a player. It looks like he may try his luck in the free agent field but either way, it's been a great ride for #22/27. He was actually the Shark's nominee for the Masterton trophy this year, having played in his 1000th NHL game this year. Making his name as an extremely tough defenseman to play against, Hannan was once considered one of the best shutdown defensemen in the game. Rule changes in 2004-2005 made him adapt his game to a new brand of hockey, and him playing 10 years after that is a testament to his fundamentals on defense. Our current number one defenseman, Vlasic, along with Ron Wilson actually commented back in the day about how much Hannan's role on the team when he was coming up, helped Vlasic develop his game.

Obviously everyone knows my unabashed Hannan worship, but I wouldn't be the hockey fan I am today without him. I owe him for a big part of my free time for the past 15 years. As a kid, I heard that someone in the family had been drafted when I was 10ish and I had no idea what a blueline was. I had never skated on a sheet of ice. Within watching one season of hockey, I had found my game. Spent the next 6 years playing hockey, watching hockey, and being obsessed with the game. In college I actually took a job writing about our team for the university newspaper, even though there were probably only about 100 fans in the school. Anyways, I'm rambling trying to explain my clearly biased opinions about Scott, but he's the reason why I have become a lifelong hockey fan. Hopefully he comes back to the Sharks in some fashion after his playing career is done.

Too personal I know, but I thought I'd share.

rc50.jpg

ChompChomp

Can't wait for Sharks hockey to return someday
Jan 8, 2007
El Paso, TX
Hannan's a great guy and will be missed. It's funny the OP mentioned RW, because it's pretty common knowledge that Hannan hated RW as Sharks coach, which is why Hannan bolted when he did for the Avs.

Anyways, with that, I personally will defer to the biggest Hannan fan I know, Requin. Haven't seen her lately on here, but I bet she'll show up for this.

Kcoyote3

Half-wall Hockey - link below!
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2012
www.half-wallhockey.com
Yeah he wasn't on the best of terms with RW, but it wasn't the only reason he left for the Avs. 4.5 million/year was probably 1.5 million over what the Sharks were going to give him at the time.

Satastic

Nazi punks **** off
Sep 12, 2014
Riverbank, CA
I gave him a lot of **** this past season, but I never hated him. He's just past his time. If he retires, I'd love it if the org gave him a job someplace

lsx

Oct 19, 2010
Sonoma County, CA
I've always really liked Hannan - he's a no nonsense, fundamentals kind of defenseman, to me at least, he always seemed to be very consistent in his level of play.

I think with the right matchups, he still has time left to play in the NHL.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
He could probably be a really good development coach or actual coach. Despite the numerous age related flaws, he knew what had to be done in the defensive zone.

Funny the way people's bodies age. Hannan, Thornton, and Marleau are all the same age but Hannan's the old man of the three.

Zeroz

Frightened Inmate #2
Jul 20, 2011
Oregon
Thank you Hannan, hope you find work wherever it may be. I too think it would be great for the Org if he stays. and thanks OP, for the story. :nod:

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
He could probably be a really good development coach or actual coach. Despite the numerous age related flaws, he knew what had to be done in the defensive zone.

Funny the way people's bodies age. Hannan, Thornton, and Marleau are all the same age but Hannan's the old man of the three.

If Thornton didn't change his game, he would've went the way of Hannan. Scott was a good soldier for a long time. I think he'd make an excellent scout or developmental coach. Still has his smarts, body just can't do what he wants anymore.

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
If I see Mr Hannan again over at the Safeway Plaza in Almaden, I thank him in person. I always thought he was a class act in the NHL, which unfortunately, seems to be less so among the newer players.

Helistin

Dustin's equilibrium
Aug 12, 2006
Close to you
If I see Mr Hannan again over at the Safeway Plaza in Almaden, I thank him in person. I always thought he was a class act in the NHL, which unfortunately, seems to be less so among the newer players.

Please. :shakehead That's a pile of manure. Is it impossible to honor the vet without bashing the youth?

Requin

Lurkedylurk
Jan 10, 2007
San Luis Obispo
Anyways, with that, I personally will defer to the biggest Hannan fan I know, Requin. Haven't seen her lately on here, but I bet she'll show up for this.

Thanks buddy! I lurk pretty frequently, I just don't have anything intelligent to say these days. :laugh:

Fun fact - Hannan is actually the reason I joined these boards so many years ago. I posted on the sjsharks boards to defend his honor and then the boards crashed like 3 minutes later, so I joined the mass exodus to HF.

A lot of you know me as a big MEV fan, and I am, but that really started because he was Hannan's protege. (I love me some defensive defensemen.) I suppose come July 1st, Pickles goes back to being my favorite Shark, but Hanners will always be my first favorite hockey player.

His last departure was ultra sad for me, but this one is expected and feels okay. It was such a treat to get him back for a couple of years. I got to see him play his 1,000th game, score a goal (always a rare occurrence lol), and wear the new jerseys! It's been a highlight in a rough couple of seasons.

Best of luck, Scott! Wherever you go this summer, we had all better see you in teal one last time for a much-deserved retirement celebration.

ChompChomp

Can't wait for Sharks hockey to return someday
Jan 8, 2007
El Paso, TX
Thanks buddy! I lurk pretty frequently, I just don't have anything intelligent to say these days. :laugh:

Fun fact - Hannan is actually the reason I joined these boards so many years ago. I posted on the sjsharks boards to defend his honor and then the boards crashed like 3 minutes later, so I joined the mass exodus to HF.

A lot of you know me as a big MEV fan, and I am, but that really started because he was Hannan's protege. (I love me some defensive defensemen.) I suppose come July 1st, Pickles goes back to being my favorite Shark, but Hanners will always be my first favorite hockey player.

His last departure was ultra sad for me, but this one is expected and feels okay. It was such a treat to get him back for a couple of years. I got to see him play his 1,000th game, score a goal (always a rare occurrence lol), and wear the new jerseys! It's been a highlight in a rough couple of seasons.

Best of luck, Scott! Wherever you go this summer, we had all better see you in teal one last time for a much-deserved retirement celebration.

You are most welcome! I lurk more than I post these days too. Some of the noobs here watch a ton more hockey (non-Sharks I mean, we all still watch all the Sharks games) than I do, so I don't have much to add compared to someone who watches a lot of every team play. :laugh:

Back to Hannan, people forget (or don't know) he was a Sharks 1st round pick in probably the biggest Sharks draft to date, the one that got us Marleau and via trade much later, Thornton. Pretty crazy that we had 3 97 1st rounders playing on the same team for several seasons, both before he left and after coming back.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008

Hannan played a grueling style and took a lot of hits and pucks. He was never fast so his regression was more obvious.

That said, he was still a smart player and a good teammate. He didn't resemble prime-Hannan, but he was still a hard worker and exceeded my expectations with his play. He was a disaster coming over from cgy and nsh, but he got his game back and extended his career.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad