Speculation: The Final 31

Iggys Dome

Not allowed to say the “R-Word” (rebuild)
Mar 19, 2018
Cap Space
The worst part is that I missed my annual 200€ for Flames to win the SC bet because my boss messed my bonus payment. I was going to use that extra income to make to make the bet and be sure I have enough money for SC banner raising for 2019 season opener. And by messed I mean he forgot it even though we had a meeting where he said "no problem".

I need to fight your boss

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
I'm generally a pessimist and cautious when it comes to predicting future success, but I have this strange feeling that Flames are gonna go deep in playoffs this year, even for a cup.

I'm generally the same. Maybe it's cause I've been so jaded after years of disappointment, but I'm unwilling to say we'll go deep in the playoffs just cause I don't want to set myself up for more disappointment.

That said, I think just about everything I predicted for this season has gone wrong and I'm okay with continuing that trend. I mean, based on what Canes fans were saying about Peters, I thought maybe we'd be in the running for a wildcard spot for most of the season.

Reactions: InfinityIggy

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
IMO we should win about 2/3 of our remaining games. Anything less will be a disappointment as about 2/3 of our remaining opponents are outside the top 10 in the league.

Reactions: InfinityIggy

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
I'm pretty stoked with how the team has played this year.

I called it towards the beginning (kind of), but 50 wins was the goal I wanted for this team. We are definitely on pace for that, but as others have mentioned, all teams playing better in the latter half of the season to try and get in. We cannot take our foot off of the gas pedal like we did last season (+ injuries).

I have confidence that we can though with the coaching staff that is in place.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
The team's got a tough run of games ahead.

First we're home to SJ who have been nipping at our heels for a while now and are probably unhappy with how the last game turned out.

Then a four game road trip against:
-Vancouver, who have given us a lot of trouble so far
-Tampa. No explanation needed
-Florida who are desperate for points
-Pittsburgh. Team will want revenge over the Pens for the 9-1 thrashing

An 8 point cushion before the road trip would be great

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
First we're home to SJ - Rittich
-Vancouver - Smith
-Tampa - Rittich
-Florida - Rittich/Smith
-Pittsburgh - Rittich

Just my predictions. Rittich should definitely start vs SJ and I wouldn't then be surprised if Smith started vs Vancouver so Rittich was 100% to go in Tampa. Then depending on reasons, I think the Florida game is a toss-up but again maybe you want Rittich to be fully rested to take on Pittsburgh.

Either way, I think Smith gets for sure one but possibly two starts in the next 5 games.

FlamerForLife

Mon Seanahan
May 22, 2015
Calgary
Just my predictions. Rittich should definitely start vs SJ and I wouldn't then be surprised if Smith started vs Vancouver so Rittich was 100% to go in Tampa. Then depending on reasons, I think the Florida game is a toss-up but again maybe you want Rittich to be fully rested to take on Pittsburgh.

Either way, I think Smith gets for sure one but possibly two starts in the next 5 games.
There’s a 2 break between Vancouver and Tampa so id expect Ritter to get both and then Smith to get Florida and Arizona following the roadie

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
There’s a 2 break between Vancouver and Tampa so id expect Ritter to get both and then Smith to get Florida and Arizona following the roadie
Right... I'm looking at the schedule but somehow ignored that fact. In that case, Rittich might get Vancouver and Smith could get Florida and Arizona like you said.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Either of you could be right. But, I do expect Smith to start more this month just because of the ridiculous travel schedule

Reactions: Janks

Janks

Pope Janks
Jan 7, 2010
Calgary
I think Peter's plays Smith to rebuild his confidence (hopefully) and allow him to find a groove. The ideal situation is that we have 2 goalies playing out of their minds come the playoffs and steal us games if needed (hopefully we don't need that - but I'd rather have them flawless than not).

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
I think Peter's plays Smith to rebuild his confidence (hopefully) and allow him to find a groove. The ideal situation is that we have 2 goalies playing out of their minds come the playoffs and steal us games if needed (hopefully we don't need that - but I'd rather have them flawless than not).

I think its more just to give Rittich some rest (dont think he's played in NA starter for a season so far), and if Smith gets his groove back at the same time, even better.

edit: Dont run Rittich to the ground with workload in his first season as a starter, slowly increase his games to grow him to be starter. Patience is almost always the key for me

Reactions: Janks and SKRusty

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
I think its more just to give Rittich some rest (dont think he's played in NA starter for a season so far), and if Smith gets his groove back at the same time, even better.

edit: Dont run Rittich to the ground with workload in his first season as a starter, slowly increase his games to grow him to be starter. Patience is almost always the key for me

If Gully would have trusted the back-up more last year Smith's injury may have been avoided and where would the FLames be now..... I really love the changes so I am happy how things played out but it is always interesting to look back with new eyes.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
I’m not too worried about Rittich being overworked. He started 62% of the games in December and January. If we continue at that rate, he’s on pace for 49, which usually the lower end of a starters work load. I think that’s a reasonable number for a rookie starter.

Reactions: SKRusty

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
I’m not too worried about Rittich being overworked. He started 62% of the games in December and January. If we continue at that rate, he’s on pace for 49, which usually the lower end of a starters work load. I think that’s a reasonable number for a rookie starter.

To me it is more an issue of keeping Smith in relatively good game shape. Holtby's second half last year was not great but Trotz was smart by playing Holtby regularly and if not for that mindful decision the Caps may still be looking for their first Stanley Cup. The history of the NHL playoffs is full of similar stories. Niemi in Chicago, Murray in Pittsburgh, Giguere in 07, Vernon in 97, Tim Thomas and the list goes on.

Unfortunately there is no way to predict how a goalie will perform in the playoffs until they have actually gone deep on several occasions. Vasilevsky, Bishop, Dubnyk, Rinne, and many others are still huge question marks. In 2004 there was no way to know if Kipper would perform and we all know the rest of the story. Who would have guessed Cujo and Luongo would not have won a cup in their careers?

Reactions: Janks

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
To me it is more an issue of keeping Smith in relatively good game shape. Holtby's second half last year was not great but Trotz was smart by playing Holtby regularly and if not for that mindful decision the Caps may still be looking for their first Stanley Cup. The history of the NHL playoffs is full of similar stories. Niemi in Chicago, Murray in Pittsburgh, Giguere in 07, Vernon in 97, Tim Thomas and the list goes on.

Unfortunately there is no way to predict how a goalie will perform in the playoffs until they have actually gone deep on several occasions. Vasilevsky, Bishop, Dubnyk, Rinne, and many others are still huge question marks. In 2004 there was no way to know if Kipper would perform and we all know the rest of the story. Who would have guessed Cujo and Luongo would not have won a cup in their careers?
Well, I mean sure, but I think playing right around 40% of the remaining games, should keep an older veteran fairly spry. Should it not?

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
Well, I mean sure, but I think playing right around 40% of the remaining games, should keep an older veteran fairly spry. Should it not?
I have been happy with the goaltending since Rittich took the starter role. I think playing Smith 30-40% of the time is perfect. For me it is all about game 83 on.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I think everyone is actually making really good points and is right to some degree.

@Janks is probably right about trying to boost Smith's confidence.
@Kahvi is probably right about being concerned about Rittich's workload.
@SKRusty is probably right about keeping Smith fresh.

I think it is a combination of all 3. Rittich's numbers have been declining since Christmas, he's still above average but his numbers declining is cause for concern, whether it be due to workload, games getting tougher or just a dip in his play. But, that means we need to keep Smith fresh and confident. I think the only way we target a goaltender at the deadline is someone like Quick to be the undisputed #1.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I don't imagine Smith is at a point right now where he needs to be given a bigger role. He's been at his best when the pressure is off of him this season. Practice time seems to be helping him. And I think his confidence is only going to be built up by good starts, not quantity of starts. And I don't think you can make him better just by playing him more. He seems like a pretty good teammate, and I don't think he'd have a problem taking a back seat down the stretch and getting spot starts. He'll be there if Rittich shows any signs of slowing down.

Also, I don't think Smith's start out of the break was indicative of a new role going forward. As I said before that game back, it's common for the backup to start the game out of the break because it lets the real starter practice more before his first game, and also because it protects the starter from the rough, disorganized performance that usually would occur in front of him.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
The team's got a tough run of games ahead.

First we're home to SJ who have been nipping at our heels for a while now and are probably unhappy with how the last game turned out.

Then a four game road trip against:
-Vancouver, who have given us a lot of trouble so far
-Tampa. No explanation needed
-Florida who are desperate for points
-Pittsburgh. Team will want revenge over the Pens for the 9-1 thrashing

An 8 point cushion before the road trip would be great
Well the cushion's gone but we're 2 points up on them at least until the Sharks play the Canucks tonight. We have a three game home-stand before the team goes out east again. At least, the hardest part of our schedule is over

Our next six games come against:
-Yotes, home
-NYI, home
-Ducks, home - can we please win this one for god's sake
-Sens. road
-Isles, road
-Devils, road

Meanwhile for the Sharks, after tonight they play:
-Bruins, home
-Penguins, road
-Jackets, road
-Wings, road
-Bruins, road
-Avs, home

Perfect opportunity to build our lead back up again

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Is it time for a playoff race thread? I intended on waiting until deadline day to start it this year, as it will include magic numbers

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
Is it time for a playoff race thread? I intended on waiting until deadline day to start it this year, as it will include magic numbers

Girls phone numbers?
Winning lottery numbers?
The number of years it will take for McDavid to win a cup?
Oh such a surprise... What an exciting time of year.
Someone should really start a trade deadline thread with 9 days left.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->