The fastest decline from Mega-Star to nobody

Kel Varnson

Oct 31, 2017
Without actually looking at the stats/really diving in.
-Demarious Thomas comes to mind tho that could've been partially due to the Broncos QB play post Manning.
-Derell Revis was terrible on his return to the Jets. Pats know when to walk away.
-Josh Norman after leaving Carolina but he really only had one or two elite seasons.
- Peyton Manning went from throwing 50 TDs to being benched for Brock Osweiler but that was more to do with physical decline imo.

Probably a bunch more

DougieSmash

WE'RE IN! WE'RE IN! YES! YES! WOO!
Jan 2, 2009
Not exactly superstars but Robert Quinn, Josh Freeman, Doug Martin, Vic Beasley, Peyton Hillis

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Wouldn't define them as Mega Stars but

David Boston
Tony Eason

Boston looked like legit top WR before all the issues in SD , Knee injury and generally being so unlikeable that people stopped giving him look or phone calls

Eason showed promise of being the franchise QB the Patriots thought he could be but he faded away pretty quickly in his career and is best remembered for being humiliated by 85 Bears in Super Bowl

Reactions: Tarantula

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
Without actually looking at the stats/really diving in.
-Demarious Thomas comes to mind tho that could've been partially due to the Broncos QB play post Manning.
-Derell Revis was terrible on his return to the Jets. Pats know when to walk away.
-Josh Norman after leaving Carolina but he really only had one or two elite seasons.
- Peyton Manning went from throwing 50 TDs to being benched for Brock Osweiler but that was more to do with physical decline imo.

Probably a bunch more

While the OP didn't explicitly say it, I would think the decline has to be well before anyone would have thought it. All the guys you mention had very successful careers with a year or two of bad play at the end. But you could say that about 1000s of players.

Reactions: Kel Varnson

Bob Richards

Mr. Mojo Risin'
Feb 9, 2011
Jersey
Not a mega-star and played a fungible position but Eddie Lacy's first two years in the NFL were good and that was it. He's been completely out of the league now for a few years.

Reactions: Voight

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
I feel like cornerbacks are notoriously fickle. Every year someone jumps out and maybe strings together a great season or two and then everyone talks about them getting exposed after. You can only remain the king of the castle for so long in that position.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
Josh Gordon - but not sure if it should count because it was drug related

There are also quite a few RBs who fell off after big seasons and were never the same.

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan
This may be more of a bust than anything, but Johnny Manziel. The guy was an absolute mega star in college when playing for Texas A&M and had so much hype only to just crash and burn going to the next level.

Another player that comes to mind for me was Percy Harvin. First three years in the NFL he was absolutely dynamite playing side by side with Sidney Rice and getting the ball thrown to him by Brett Farve. One contract conflict and multiple trades later, he is a nobody that is out of the league at 27 years of age.

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
Another player that comes to mind for me was Percy Harvin. First three years in the NFL he was absolutely dynamite playing side by side with Sidney Rice and getting the ball thrown to him by Brett Farve. One contract conflict and multiple trades later, he is a nobody that is out of the league at 27 years of age.
Percy Harvin was never anything more than hype. The guy reached 1000 scrimmage yards once in his career (and that's a pretty dang low bar)

I constantly argued this during his career and clearly still hold a grudge

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
One for me is Shawne Merriman. 17 sacks in his 2nd season when he also missed 4 games due to a steroid suspension. Most people will attribute his decline to steroids, but he did have a 12 sack campaign the season after. A bad knee injury knocked him out in 2008 and he was never the same after that.

Although I did have an indirect interaction with Mike Florio at some point over Merriman. After the steroid suspension, Florio had an article where he posted Merriman's current team photo versus his rookie team photo and it looked like he had lost 50+ pounds. But Florio didn't seem to notice that Merriman's rookie photo was a photoshopped picture of his head (from his college website) over a 300 pound defensive lineman's body; Even though it was an official team photo, Merriman had held out so the team probably had some staffer do the photoshop since Merriman wasn't there for the picture day. I was bored enough to go through every player's photo before eventually finding the original source photo. Others sent the pictures to Florio who eventually retracted the article. [/coolstorybro]

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad