The Fans Top 50 Prospects

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vast Ant Dioi

Jun 16, 2003
Xunantunich
thenewnhl.blogspot.com
To be honest, a top 50 that excludes Andrew Ladd but has Robbie Schremp at 23, who was picked 21 spots lower in the most recent draft, is one completely lacking in credibility.

I mean, there are fan polls, and then there are homer polls. This is quite obviously a homer poll. I checked out some of the results and Schremp was getting votes as soon as he was added. Gee, how shocking. Even more shocking: a good number of them were from Oiler fans. Stafford, who in my opinion way outplayed Schremp at the WJCs, didn't make the list. Fritsche, who also outplayed Schremp (though is one year older), is way down the list at #46. People have yet to explain why Schremp's stock has risen so much since his draft but 8 months ago...so much that he's rated higher than guys taken 20 spots before him in the same draft. Oh wait...that's because the only explanation is the Oiler prospect hype machine going full bore. Spare me.

I'd also like to know how Semin is ranked higher than Parise and Carter. Wouldn't have anything to do with the large number of Caps fans on the board, would it? Nah, couldn't be that. I think you'd be pretty hard-pressed to find an NHL GM who would take Semin over either one of those two. Most would take a guy like Getzlaf, Brown, or Olesz over Semin too, in my estimation.

So in other words, you can throw this one out as being completely irrelevant except at marking prospect hype. If you renamed the poll "Top 50 Most Popular Prospects Right Now" you might have some modicum of accuracy. If this is supposed to be some indication of prospect upside, worth, or whatever...

:help:

Matty

May 20, 2002
Strawberry Fields
Visit site
jtuzzi21 said:
Like I said earlier..Kesler is a third liner because he is such a talented defensive player. He has the skills and potential to be a 2nd liner, but will be much more effective in a shutdown role. Would you say Jeff Friesen is a more effective player for the Devils than John Madden? Friesen is a 2nd liner because is there to score. Madden can score, but he is so effective that he excells on the third line. I can't really convey what I'm trying to make a point of, but hopefully you understand.

The problem with alot of prospect lists is too much value is placed on 'top end potential' and too little on the likelyhood of the player actually reaching his 'top end potential'. In fact, most prospects never reach their 'top end potential' while only a few exceed expectations.

Kesler is almost a lock to achieve his 'potential' as a 3rd liner and is one of those rare prospects who has a good chance of exceeding his expectations. The closest prospect the 'Nucks have had to a Kesler in recent times was Peca IMO. And yes, I'd take a Peca-type over a "good 2nd liner" any day of the week.

Nielson81

Feb 28, 2002
www.hockeysfutureradio.com
Vast Ant Dioi said:
To be honest, a top 50 that excludes Andrew Ladd but has Robbie Schremp at 23, who was picked 21 spots lower in the most recent draft, is one completely lacking in credibility.

I mean, there are fan polls, and then there are homer polls. This is quite obviously a homer poll. I checked out some of the results and Schremp was getting votes as soon as he was added. Gee, how shocking. Even more shocking: a good number of them were from Oiler fans. Stafford, who in my opinion way outplayed Schremp at the WJCs, didn't make the list. Fritsche, who also outplayed Schremp (though is one year older), is way down the list at #46. People have yet to explain why Schremp's stock has risen so much since his draft but 8 months ago...so much that he's rated higher than guys taken 20 spots before him in the same draft. Oh wait...that's because the only explanation is the Oiler prospect hype machine going full bore. Spare me.

I'd also like to know how Semin is ranked higher than Parise and Carter. Wouldn't have anything to do with the large number of Caps fans on the board, would it? Nah, couldn't be that. I think you'd be pretty hard-pressed to find an NHL GM who would take Semin over either one of those two. Most would take a guy like Getzlaf, Brown, or Olesz over Semin too, in my estimation.

So in other words, you can throw this one out as being completely irrelevant except at marking prospect hype. If you renamed the poll "Top 50 Most Popular Prospects Right Now" you might have some modicum of accuracy. If this is supposed to be some indication of prospect upside, worth, or whatever...

Good post man, no way Schremp should be that high on the list...if it was my call, he wouldn't be in the top 50 at all.

bryan579

Oct 13, 2004
Vast Ant Dioi said:

so you obviously have never seen semin play... While your boy parise isn't even scoring a point a game in the the AHL, Semin is tearing up the RSL, being second in goals. Also when he did play in the AHL at the end of the year last year for the playoffs, he tore it up there also. With his skills i'm sure there are many GM's that would take him ahead of parise and carter and the other people.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
Vlad The Impaler said:
The last time I did one was last year, for The Pucks top 50 (which didn't go up, for reasons that escape me).
Monsieur Le Pucks said that the overall commitment level from volunteers was lukewarm so he scrapped it.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Vast Ant Dioi said:

Ladd probably should be on the list.

The irony of the situation is, there are actually not a whole lot of Caps fans here. I'd say tops there are 10-15... which is easily outnumbered by probably every Canadian team that has anytype of following, and quite a few of the other more 'popular' franchises.

The main reason some of the Caps fans look numerous is probably due to the lack of anything constructive at the Caps regular boards about 2/3rds of the time.

And as for the knock on Semin, I'm not sure you've seen him. And if you have, you need to look again. While I'll conceed he probably is already past his 'prospect' status, he's still an excellent prospect. Easily one of the most talented point producers potentially on the whole list. I'm not saying that'll all translate, but Semin's torn up the AHL and RSL. And he played pretty well at the end of the year in the NHL. He's still not a sure thing, but I'm optimistic.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
Vast Ant Dioi said:

Semin over Parise and Carter is at the very least debatable. I agree. But don't overlook A.S's offensive potential. He's on pace to break 20-25 goals in the RSL, playing for an overtly defensive team, which is stunning.

hockeyfan125

Jul 10, 2004
Matty said:
The problem with alot of prospect lists is too much value is placed on 'top end potential' and too little on the likelyhood of the player actually reaching his 'top end potential'. In fact, most prospects never reach their 'top end potential' while only a few exceed expectations.

Kesler is almost a lock to achieve his 'potential' as a 3rd liner and is one of those rare prospects who has a good chance of exceeding his expectations. The closest prospect the 'Nucks have had to a Kesler in recent times was Peca IMO. And yes, I'd take a Peca-type over a "good 2nd liner" any day of the week.
Yea you explained it better than me, and I totally agree with you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad