The Eye of the Hurricane

StefanW

Mar 13, 2013
Ottawa
www.storiesnumberstell.com
I put up a blog entry about how special is was to take my daughter to the Senators game against St Louis this past Saturday afternoon. It did not seem to really fit into other threads (the Bryan Murray thread is about him specifically, the PGT is about the game itself) so I decided to make a thread for this to share the post.

Before clicking on the link, be aware that this has a cancer theme to it. If you are not interested in reading a post that deals with childhood cancer please do not open the link. In my opinion stories like this need to be told, but everyone makes their own decision about whether they want to read/listen to them.

http://69.195.124.204/~integtd8/?p=355

Busboy

Jul 29, 2011
Wow, tough to read but very inspiring too. I was doing some work with Gabriella's Groupies a couple of months ago and it really opened my eyes to how much of a struggle it is for entire families to deal with children's cancer. It's nice to see that the two of you are able to have shared experiences which hopefully take your minds off some of the struggles.

Taking my daughter to watch the Sens is something I'm tremendously excited about doing in a few years when she's older. I've always appreciated how the Sens organization stresses the importance of making games family friendly, and of course how involved they are with so many local charities.

Thanks for sharing your story. It produced some tears but also a smile when I saw how happy the two of you are together in the pictures.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
I put up a blog entry about how special is was to take my daughter to the Senators game against St Louis this past Saturday afternoon. It did not seem to really fit into other threads (the Bryan Murray thread is about him specifically, the PGT is about the game itself) so I decided to make a thread for this to share the post.

Before clicking on the link, be aware that this has a cancer theme to it. If you are not interested in reading a post that deals with childhood cancer please do not open the link. In my opinion stories like this need to be told, but everyone makes their own decision about whether they want to read/listen to them.

Thank you for taking the time to write that very special story. I wish you and Sofia all the best.

Hossa18

Jan 20, 2008
Just wanted to thank you for sharing your story and knowing people that have gone through similar experiences, wanted to mention how brave you guys are and wish you guys all the best. Having a 7yr old daughter myself, stories like this definitely put things into perspective.

There is a story in today's Sun about a boy Bryce and his battles with Cancer. My wife is a friend and former co-worker of Bryce's mom and they have shared numerous stories of Bryce's battles with cancer and how Nick Foligno came back to play mini sticks hockey with him even after he got traded to Columbus, because he had promised Bryce that he would. It is amazing how inspired these kids can get just by seeing a game or meeting some players even though they are going through such a difficult time. Seeing a smile on their face is just priceless.

pepty

Let's win it all
Feb 22, 2005

Thank you for sharing your and Sophia's story.
Her path has been so full of pain but also full of love.

internetdotcom

11 + 15 + 19 = 666
Jun 23, 2009
Capital O
Very sad to read about Sofia and her struggles, but thank you for taking the time to share such a personal and difficult story. All the best to Sofia and your family. I am very happy to hear though that she had so much fun at the game. I'm sure seeing the smile on her face made you just as happy. I really hope she can pull through this and live a long and happy life.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Amazing story. Sofia is a real sweetheart. She definitely has an amazing zest for life...you can see that special sparkle in her eyes. I am so glad the Sens & Candlelighters do this for the kids. Kids are so amazing and resilient, having a special day like that can do more for their health than any medicine.

I have to say though, I know medical science doesn't know everything and being in the medical profession is hard....but dammit, not identifying that tumor until it's golf ball sized....it angers the hell out of me. The consistent eye pain alone should've been enough for the doctors to scan the brain and skull area. So much of this goddamned cancer floating around these days, it should be the first thing doctors look at.

StefanW

Mar 13, 2013
Ottawa
Just wanted to thank you for sharing your story and knowing people that have gone through similar experiences, wanted to mention how brave you guys are and wish you guys all the best. Having a 7yr old daughter myself, stories like this definitely put things into perspective.

There is a story in today's Sun about a boy Bryce and his battles with Cancer. My wife is a friend and former co-worker of Bryce's mom and they have shared numerous stories of Bryce's battles with cancer and how Nick Foligno came back to play mini sticks hockey with him even after he got traded to Columbus, because he had promised Bryce that he would. It is amazing how inspired these kids can get just by seeing a game or meeting some players even though they are going through such a difficult time. Seeing a smile on their face is just priceless.

Do you have a link to this story? I know a Bryce, but I want to make sure it is the same one before I say anything about it.

StefanW

Mar 13, 2013
Ottawa

Thanks. When we were in ICU (the time Sofia was rushed to the hospital lost her sight for a month) Bryce was admitted and in ICU at the same time. I spent a lot of time talking with his mom as we were each dealing with what was happening.

The suite was initially paid for by Wade Redden, who continued paying for it until he retired. After he retired there was a huge decision about whether to continue with the suite. Bryce's mom spearheaded the Refuse to Lose campaign that raised the cash needed to pay for the suite this year. Truly amazing.

Hossa18

Jan 20, 2008
Thanks. When we were in ICU (the time Sofia was rushed to the hospital lost her sight for a month) Bryce was admitted and in ICU at the same time. I spent a lot of time talking with his mom as we were each dealing with what was happening.

The suite was initially paid for by Wade Redden, who continued paying for it until he retired. After he retired there was a huge decision about whether to continue with the suite. Bryce's mom spearheaded the Refuse to Lose campaign that raised the cash needed to pay for the suite this year. Truly amazing.

Sorry, just got back in and saw that someone has posted the link.....Both parents are truly special and I am not surprised that she spearheaded the campaign. You have a beautiful daughter....Best wishes

Flip_4

Mar 22, 2006
Ottawa
Thank you for sharing your story with everyone. Made me a little teary.

So sad that anyone, but especially children have to go through this. Very happy she seemed to have a fantastic time at the game with you. So wonderful!!

Smash88

Mar 15, 2012
Ottawa
Thank you for sharing your experience.

I hope Sofia can continue to experience all the things we take for granted each day. To all the best for Sofia and your family.

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Very heartwarming story for sure. Thanks for sharing, all the best to you all in the future.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $200.00