The exact moment a career came to an end

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Neither hit was suspension worthy.

The hit on Kariya was a 2 minute penalty that should've been called, but missed. It was interference.

The hit on Lindros was not a penalty. Contact was made right at the whistle

I guess I'm making it from the argument of today's rules. Because as much as people like to claim it, 99% of Stevens hits would still be legal under current rules. He might get an ejection or suspension from the optics of it though.

The Lindros hit was an elbow. But I'd say even of his nastiest hits those are the only two that warranted penalties/punishment.

I get tired of defending Stevens because I hated the guy when he played, but his career has become so misrepresented on these boards.

Reactions: SabresSharks

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
I'm not sure if it's been posted in the 8 pages here, but:

Rick DiPietro's career was already riddled with a lot injuries, but when Brent Johnson one-punched him and broke his face he really never came back from that.

Reactions: Mav3rick07

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Doug Gilmour's second shift after rejoining the Leafs, tore his ACL and subsequently retired.

I have seen this said here several times over the years, that Gilmour was injured on his first or second shift as a Maple Leaf after being reacquired and I'm not sure where that story came from.

Gilmour was injured in the second period of the game and had already taken several shifts, seven or eight at least before he was injured.

blood gin

Jan 17, 2017
I guess I'm making it from the argument of today's rules. Because as much as people like to claim it, 99% of Stevens hits would still be legal under current rules. He might get an ejection or suspension from the optics of it though.

The Lindros hit was an elbow. But I'd say even of his nastiest hits those are the only two that warranted penalties/punishment.

I get tired of defending Stevens because I hated the guy when he played, but his career has become so misrepresented on these boards.

I don't know, I've seen that hit on Lindros a million times. Didn't look like he elbowed him in the head. Looks like the head went right into the shoulder, which was legal at that time

Reactions: brachyrynchos

SabresSharks

Oct 2, 2007
Not to mention Lindros was every bit as vicious a hitter, if not more. His hitting was 50% of the reason he was considered one of the greatest prospects ever.
The league always had plenty of guys who, by today's standards, would be considered "predatory". It puzzles me that people old enough to have watched, and presumably enjoyed, hockey then (and Stevens only retired in 2005; it's not as if he lumbered around the rink clad in wooly mammoth skins) hold their noses and denounce Stevens as a loathsome exception to some genteel style of hockey their failing memories conjure from the ether.

If there was ever a player whose very name states "keep your head up, kid" (advice which is quickly becoming a meme) it was Scott Stevens.

And as far as Lindros is concerned, I wish ill upon no player, past or present, but he is the hockey exemplar of "live by the sword, die by the sword".

Rec T

Jun 1, 2007
NKY
Todd Fedoruk chasing Boogaard all around the ice trying to get him to fight & then Boogaard caving his face in. He left the Ducks & went to the Flyers for a bit but he was never the same after that.

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006
I'm not sure if it's been posted in the 8 pages here, but:

Rick DiPietro's career was already riddled with a lot injuries, but when Brent Johnson one-punched him and broke his face he really never came back from that.

Rick's career effectively ended here. What you saw after is him trying to constantly hold on to it.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Jiri Fischer

Rich Peverley

Two of the scarier moments in recent NHL history. Neither player would play another NHL game after these incidents.

Also, I just realized this but I think Scott Hartnell and Vern Fiddler both played in both of these games. What are the chances? :help:

Last edited:
Reactions: Dovahkiin

member 147413

I don't care. Sauer was clearly in a lot of pain. He could have some human decency.
It’s pretty easy to pick one point in someone’s life and claim they aren’t a decent human. Maybe you can look past his poor response as he may not look back upon how he reacted fondly, especially considering how it ended a young mans career, which he certainly did not hope for at the time.

BullLund

Dec 28, 2017
Tommy Salo

This not only destroyed his hockey career, but according to Salo, the aftermath led to a severe, borderline suicidal depression.

Just shows how intense the pressure is to play at the highest level. One mistake, and your whole career can be flushed down the toilet.

Reactions: mrhockey193195

Igor Shestyorkin

#26, the sickest of 'em all.
Apr 17, 2015
Moscow, RUS
It’s pretty easy to pick one point in someone’s life and claim they aren’t a decent human. Maybe you can look past his poor response as he may not look back upon how he reacted fondly, especially considering how it ended a young mans career, which he certainly did not hope for at the time.

Fair enough. I just got a bit heated up, seeing that and hearing that again.

Reactions: FishManSam

GoJackets1

Someday.
Aug 21, 2008
Montana
Nikita Filatov's career ended when he got blown up in the middle of the ice in one of the CBJ-Sharks Stockholm games. He never wanted to carry the puck after that. Before then, he looked great in pre-season and minimal games the season before.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Ryan Jones was a great 3rd liner. He did a bit of everything. He was physical, and had 35 goals over 2 seasons. Then Jamie Benn attacked him, with a vicious cross check to the back away from the play, and he was done.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad