The evolution of Brandon Carlo

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
He's one of those guys that does a lot of things very well that don't show up on the stats page which is why a lot of the more casual fans don't really understand just how important he is to the Bruins success. :thumbu:

maxbme

Jan 13, 2016
How has he evolved? He was a huge, mobile, big minute eater in the first place.
He's just growing into his body and gaining confidence. He's much more comfortable in playing his game in the dzone and more confident in his ability to join the rush. He's not going to put up points, but he will slow down play and make smart decisions with the puck, which he wasn't doing 2 years ago. Hes grown into the ideal defensive dman for the modern game.

Reactions: Apocalypse Dude

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
The Oilers were going to take him 33rd overall in 2015 if they hadn't made *that* trade with the Islanders.

JTbmXc6.gif

lomiller1

Jan 13, 2015
IMO he's a guy who can fit in the #4 spot if you have the right #3. In an ideal world he'd be on the bottom pair when the team is healthy, and be a guy who can move up if needed. If I'm comparing him to a Jets D-man the closest comparable is Ben Chiarot.

Reactions: Gsh

Derp Kassian

Jul 14, 2012
Vancouver
Canucks fans were terrified of taking him with the Boeser pick but I gotta say if we got him in round 2 like the Broons did I wouldn’t be mad at all. Relatively mobile big guy who can be physical and long reach, perfect #4-5 anchor if he stays healthy.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
IMO he's a guy who can fit in the #4 spot if you have the right #3. In an ideal world he'd be on the bottom pair when the team is healthy, and be a guy who can move up if needed. If I'm comparing him to a Jets D-man the closest comparable is Ben Chiarot.

Oh C'moon that's ridiculous.

How has he evolved? He was a huge, mobile, big minute eater in the first place.

Some called him a 3rd pair D-men, and atleast he's a top4.
(I guess on this thread as well :laugh: )

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
He's gaining more confidence for sure, but he's the player he's always been.

More people just have the chance to see him this year because he suffered freak injuries in the final weekend of his first two seasons to cost him the playoffs.

Pakiman740

Feb 22, 2013
Penalty Box

Lol come on man stop it

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018

I would say that he's a solid #3.

ShortSideFlick

Nov 2, 2011
I really wanted the leafs to draft him that year. Ironic that he was a significant piece in beating us... again. Dermott's looking decent enough so far though and he wasn't on my radar (we took Dermott over Carlo). Can't claim to have based my desire to pick Carlo was based on watching a ton of the prospects or anything though lol. I basically just look up all the RHD over 6' that the scouting reports say something about projecting to be capable defensively and being decent skaters. I watch some highlights, and figure hey maybe we'll pick him and they actually pan out. That method also had me REALLY hoping we'd find a way to trade up for Mcavoy and Fabbro but those may or may not have been feasible. Results like Rasanen can come out of that too.

Then again, I also wanted to pick Sebastian Aho... My annual "it's near draft time, who the hell are these guys" has some pretty significant hit's lol. I've got plenty of misses just like the actual picks, but when simply reading up near draft time and circling a few guys produces far better results over multiple years than the vast professional scouting staff being employed it really shows how much of a crap shoot drafting really is. Or maybe how poor our scouts really are lol.

But yeah Carlo has been really good. Steady. He's exactly what we need. Pisses me off Boston ended up with both him and Mcavoy. Congrats on the win.

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
He hasn’t evolved. He’s developed. He came in a shutdown d and now he’s a better one. But he didn’t go from shutdown d to powerplay whiz. He’s good

varano

Jun 27, 2013
He's ok. Hes the guy that stays back while his D guy wheels. Just a stable reliable guy.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
I remember seeing him at the prospects showcase in Buffalo the August of his draft year and thought he was the best D on the ice. I liked him more than Hanafin.

Reactions: NNCbama

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->