The Europa Universalis IV Thread

May 27, 2012
Earth
I play a safe game when playing and it works, but sometimes it bites me in the butt. I am currently playing a game by trying to form Italy as Florence(no Ironman) and have most of the peninsula but the tip of the boot, Sicily and Corsica. I would have had Sicily and the one province at the tip of the boot, but Iberian wedding happened just in time and Spain became my main threat.

It is an interesting game for sure. Provence inherited Northern Burgundy somehow and not Austria or any other major power, Bohemia inherited one province in Burgundian France. Bohemia has been the emperor for 70-80 years now and as a result of all these things happening...Austria is crippled and is constantly losing wars. lol

I would take out Austria, but I like them as a buffer from Bohemia while my other Allies Provence and France help me into Germany. I also have the same Dynasty and France and Provence, hoping I get PU over one of them.

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
I don't know, I feel there should be other threads for the other games, at least for CK2 which is the other popular game. Don't think Victoria or Hearts of Iron will generate much activity though they're both a great series of games.

I find Vicky 2 does a really good job of feeling a lot like any of the EU games and being a good Mil Sim like HoI3 while being unique.

Ducksforcup

Jan 5, 2006
Irvine, California
Is IV any easier to learn than III?

Say it is a little more complex, but if you understand EUIII you will understand EUIV pretty rapidly.

Was able to finish "Arabian Coffee" as Oman. Took WAY longer than I ever could have expected. The Ottoman mega alliance with Persia was too much to bear...had to destroy Persia in a separate war and even then the Turks were hard to fight. Never ending waves of Turks. Super super fun game though.

11988244_10153621882727269_6772091291551087163_n.jpg

Ducksforcup

Jan 5, 2006
Irvine, California
I play a safe game when playing and it works, but sometimes it bites me in the butt. I am currently playing a game by trying to form Italy as Florence(no Ironman) and have most of the peninsula but the tip of the boot, Sicily and Corsica. I would have had Sicily and the one province at the tip of the boot, but Iberian wedding happened just in time and Spain became my main threat.

It is an interesting game for sure. Provence inherited Northern Burgundy somehow and not Austria or any other major power, Bohemia inherited one province in Burgundian France. Bohemia has been the emperor for 70-80 years now and as a result of all these things happening...Austria is crippled and is constantly losing wars. lol

I would take out Austria, but I like them as a buffer from Bohemia while my other Allies Provence and France help me into Germany. I also have the same Dynasty and France and Provence, hoping I get PU over one of them.

Nice work certainly not an easy game. I haven't done the form Italy achievement yet, but it's def. on my list.

Provence inheriting Burgundy is hilarious...good luck! Seems like you got this.

Ducksforcup

Jan 5, 2006
Irvine, California
So after a bit of playing last night, I picked up on some of the changes rather easily. The decreased amount of buildings in a given region hurts but on the whole it's not a negative, just means I am going to have to prioritize what I want to build and where for my economy and production. The new siege metrics actually make things a LOT easier and faster, didn't anticipate that. Basically crushed Novgorod in 2 wars by having 2 armies. First one basically took out their army while it was still a factor while the other laid siege to one of their forts. Once their army was dealt with the other stack took on their other fort while my vassals basically played mop-up on any military they might build and laid siege quickly to any non-defended areas. Took about 2 years to completely blitz them whereas usually any war would be a prolonged 5-6 year affair in most of my other games. Made sure to take one of their two fortress regions in the peace deal to make the next war even faster.

Then I decided to take the Livonians Estonian territories and vasalize Riga while I was at it since they were allies at the start of the war. Was actually a bit of a longer war since they actually had more forts then Novgorod, but still an easy one.

Once I was done on mop-up there I was able to settle a few pesky Karelians that felt like revolting, and rebuild my manpower for one last push to take out Novgorod. Before 1500 now and I'm set to turn my eyes on Danzig (westernization once I hit Admin level 10), colonizing Siberia, and Kazan... who kicked the ever living **** out of the Golden Horde so this should actually be rather interesting.

In the late game, level 8 forts are literally the bane of your existence. Have fun starting out at -91 percent...:laugh::laugh::laugh::cry::cry::cry: (it's not fun lol) In all seriousness, I agree with you the whole process just makes a lot more sense and is just plain more logical now.

Gad to see you like the changes. And nice work...you certainly are expanding quickly. The Danzig event is fantastic.

Teemu

Caffeine Free Since 1919
Dec 3, 2002
I would seriously pay money for a button on Paradox games that would just upgrade all of my forts 1 level when I finish researching it, instead of manually going to each county.

May 27, 2012
Earth
My allies are getting thrashed. As a result of supporting France in the Bohemian Succession War we are currently getting obliterated. Bavaria somehow managed to get and PU over Bohemia and is now the emperor. GB declared war on France a year later, which would have brought Austria, Spain, and Hungary against me. I declined, and my ally Portugal accepted and is helping France.

Shortly after Tunisia declares the 3rd Jihad against Portugal and I had to decline because otherwise it would be the end of me. The Ottomans are huge, they took out the Mamluks. France isn't as strong as it should be because the country isn't unified and they lost Paris in the beginning of the game.

I'll post a pic of Europe in a bit. I also formed Italy.

Last edited:
May 27, 2012
Earth
There is a crazy Europa Universalis sale going on right now. The DLC are going for cheap. Not sure how long this going on for but his is a good oppurtunity to get some or all the main DLC.

https://www.humblebundle.com/store/search/search/europa univer/sort/bestselling/page/0

Base game - $9.99
Conquest of Paradise - $3.74
Wealth of Nations - $2.49
Res Publica - $4.99
Art of War - $4.99 or Art of War Collection - $8.99
El Dorado Collection - $4.99
Common Sense - $3.74 or Common Sense Collection - $4.99

EUIV DLC Collection - $16.24
(No Art Of War, El Dorado, and Common Sense.

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
Not EU related but I finished my first full game of Vicky 2.

I played as Japan, westernized in the early 1850's. Conquered Jahor, Dai Nam and southern Siam and fought a couple of wars with China over Siam and then Dai Nam. Both times I beat them down hard, destroying over 130 of their brigades approx.

Russia ended up fighting a war with China for Korea's independence, to which they won easily. Immediately upon Korea gaining independence I justified a war of conquest with them and conquered the whole of Korea. This final war solidified my spit as #6 in the great powers list until the end of the game.

Overall Japan was fairly easy to play. You start off with an incredibly high literacy rating and a huge population as well, which only gets higher if you play an imperialistic campaign.

Ser Jorah Mormont

Lord Friendzone
Sep 3, 2013
Down Under
There is a crazy Europa Universalis sale going on right now. The DLC are going for cheap. Not sure how long this going on for but his is a good oppurtunity to get some or all the main DLC.

https://www.humblebundle.com/store/search/search/europa univer/sort/bestselling/page/0

Base game - $9.99
Conquest of Paradise - $3.74
Wealth of Nations - $2.49
Res Publica - $4.99
Art of War - $4.99 or Art of War Collection - $8.99
El Dorado Collection - $4.99
Common Sense - $3.74 or Common Sense Collection - $4.99

EUIV DLC Collection - $16.24
(No Art Of War, El Dorado, and Common Sense.

Thanks for that, grabbed Common Sense. Hopefully it will work on my already started Najd game, otherwise I'll just start over as it's still early on.

Ducksforcup

Jan 5, 2006
Irvine, California

I played as Japan, westernized in the early 1850's. Conquered Jahor, Dai Nam and southern Siam and fought a couple of wars with China over Siam and then Dai Nam. Both times I beat them down hard, destroying over 130 of their brigades approx.

Russia ended up fighting a war with China for Korea's independence, to which they won easily. Immediately upon Korea gaining independence I justified a war of conquest with them and conquered the whole of Korea. This final war solidified my spit as #6 in the great powers list until the end of the game.

Overall Japan was fairly easy to play. You start off with an incredibly high literacy rating and a huge population as well, which only gets higher if you play an imperialistic campaign.

Never know what to focus on when I play Vicky 2. I should boot up a game...really want to figure out how to play properly. I love the events in the game (like the Egyptian missions for prestige).

Ducksforcup

Jan 5, 2006
Irvine, California
My allies are getting thrashed. As a result of supporting France in the Bohemian Succession War we are currently getting obliterated. Bavaria somehow managed to get and PU over Bohemia and is now the emperor. GB declared war on France a year later, which would have brought Austria, Spain, and Hungary against me. I declined, and my ally Portugal accepted and is helping France.

Shortly after Tunisia declares the 3rd Jihad against Portugal and I had to decline because otherwise it would be the end of me. The Ottomans are huge, they took out the Mamluks. France isn't as strong as it should be because the country isn't unified and they lost Paris in the beginning of the game.

I'll post a pic of Europe in a bit. I also formed Italy.

How did France lose Paris? That's fantastic.... :laugh:

Congratulations btw. Can't wait to see the photos. And ya the Ottomans now pretty much 100 percent of the time get super fat. Fighting against them is not a pleasant experience. My Arabia game...don't even want to talk about how hard that achievement was..:laugh::laugh::laugh::cry::cry:

Kind of happy though. The Ottomans should be a strong power and until recently, they never really did much of anything.

MadArcand

Whaletarded
Dec 19, 2006
Seat of the Empire
Ottomans are fun (hellishly tough fun) to mess with. In my Prester John run, I turned the Ottomans into a country that owned only Greek-cultured lands... ALL Greek-cultured lands in the game. :laugh:

BTW any of you ever tried custom nations? I tried just twice:

- Jewish NZ-based OPM Oceania that conquered every island in the game
starting position
final situation

- and of course the first game after El Dorado was custom Slovakia 3PM
starting position
final situation

(you can see with both that the discovery bug was still in effect - haven't even played since it got fixed...)

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
Been trying to get back into EUIV and I'm pretty rusty. I also have a problem with my games going ahistorical. I don't know why. I started a game as the Hansa, conquered a bit of northern Germany, but when I had to chance to annex Denmark I didn't because I didn't think the Hansa should own Denmark. Well, it came back to bite me. Fighting a defensive war with Sweden against Muscovy, then Denmark attacks my vassal. In less than 2 years my entire country is conquered, by Denmark lol...

I think Japan is by far the easiest nation to play in VII. You can westernize ridiculously fast, but all your neighbours remain uncivilized for a very long time. European nations don't screw with you until the 1900s unless you get unlucky and crisis' start in Korea (which you should invade pretty much immediately to avoid Korea ending up under China or Russia). Netherlands and Spain usually end up pretty weak which means you can take their valuable colonies, then when the civil wars start in China you can carve out a few provinces that have millions of people. V2 is a hard game to conquer a lot in, but by the end of one of my Japan games (and I was by no means a "good" player when I did this), I had conquered the entire Chinese seaboard, a bunch of the high POP inner provinces, all of Korea, all of SE Asia was my satellites, allied to Britain, and was in the midst of invading the mainland USA because I had nothing better to do. Total population of almost 500 million, limitless numbers of brigades, a fleet better than just about every combined, and tens of millions sitting in the bank. Oh, and easily 1/1/1 in the rankings.

They call Japan the "tutorial island" for a reason. If you want to learn V2, Japan is a good place to start.

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
Been trying to get back into EUIV and I'm pretty rusty. I also have a problem with my games going ahistorical. I don't know why. I started a game as the Hansa, conquered a bit of northern Germany, but when I had to chance to annex Denmark I didn't because I didn't think the Hansa should own Denmark. Well, it came back to bite me. Fighting a defensive war with Sweden against Muscovy, then Denmark attacks my vassal. In less than 2 years my entire country is conquered, by Denmark lol...

I think Japan is by far the easiest nation to play in VII. You can westernize ridiculously fast, but all your neighbours remain uncivilized for a very long time. European nations don't screw with you until the 1900s unless you get unlucky and crisis' start in Korea (which you should invade pretty much immediately to avoid Korea ending up under China or Russia). Netherlands and Spain usually end up pretty weak which means you can take their valuable colonies, then when the civil wars start in China you can carve out a few provinces that have millions of people. V2 is a hard game to conquer a lot in, but by the end of one of my Japan games (and I was by no means a "good" player when I did this), I had conquered the entire Chinese seaboard, a bunch of the high POP inner provinces, all of Korea, all of SE Asia was my satellites, allied to Britain, and was in the midst of invading the mainland USA because I had nothing better to do. Total population of almost 500 million, limitless numbers of brigades, a fleet better than just about every combined, and tens of millions sitting in the bank. Oh, and easily 1/1/1 in the rankings.

They call Japan the "tutorial island" for a reason. If you want to learn V2, Japan is a good place to start.

Yeah I totally got the feeling of the game being easy playing Japan. Against an uncivilized China just 30-50 brigades were able to hold off and devastate countless Chinese armies without having a worry about the result.

I'm thinking of playing an Italian campaign next.

Ducksforcup

Jan 5, 2006
Irvine, California
Ottomans are fun (hellishly tough fun) to mess with. In my Prester John run, I turned the Ottomans into a country that owned only Greek-cultured lands... ALL Greek-cultured lands in the game. :laugh:

BTW any of you ever tried custom nations? I tried just twice:

- Jewish NZ-based OPM Oceania that conquered every island in the game
starting position
final situation

- and of course the first game after El Dorado was custom Slovakia 3PM
starting position
final situation

(you can see with both that the discovery bug was still in effect - haven't even played since it got fixed...)

Custom nations are way too fun. I did a Zoroastrian Norse game based in Indonesia. How could you not love that? That's a neat idea for a campaign (all islands).

Nice Slovakia game btw...what ideas did you choose?

And dude I am about to start a Prestor John campaign! Any advice? Seems like you decimated them pretty decisively. :laugh:

@Nullus Reverentia: The game usually veers pretty far from what happened historically lol.

May 27, 2012
Earth
How did France lose Paris? That's fantastic.... :laugh:

Congratulations btw. Can't wait to see the photos. And ya the Ottomans now pretty much 100 percent of the time get super fat. Fighting against them is not a pleasant experience. My Arabia game...don't even want to talk about how hard that achievement was..:laugh::laugh::laugh::cry::cry:

Kind of happy though. The Ottomans should be a strong power and until recently, they never really did much of anything.

These are links to pictures from my steam. Some goofy stuff.

This in 1648. I am using two mods. Lower Core annexation and Extended Timeline.

Map Around italy

Closer look at the Bohemian Succession War

Closer look at France, not unified and no Paris

The Holy Roman Empire

Area around the Mediterranean

Burgundian lands inherited by Provence

Ryazan and Perm still around?

MadArcand

Whaletarded
Dec 19, 2006
Seat of the Empire
Custom nations are way too fun. I did a Zoroastrian Norse game based in Indonesia. How could you not love that? That's a neat idea for a campaign (all islands).

Nice Slovakia game btw...what ideas did you choose?

And dude I am about to start a Prestor John campaign! Any advice? Seems like you decimated them pretty decisively. :laugh:

@Nullus Reverentia: The game usually veers pretty far from what happened historically lol.
You can see the ideas on the first screenshot. I'd probably choose some things differently now but it worked well enough I guess (and with the later patches they made it possible to name ideas, I'd so name the tech discount Kleptocracy and the morale one Alcoholism!).

As for Prestor - vassalization of all other Copts would be ideal (due to the offensive war ally restrictions in 1.13). Then if Mamluks are in a war or you just feel stronger, go for Egypt ASAP (and expand into Arabian peninsula and south towards the gold during truces) - you want to steal as much as possible before the Ottomans. I had a bit of luck as I took Jerusalem and Alexandria but left Mamluks a strip of land that blocked a full land Ottoman invasion, so they were landing only 15-ish stacks that I wiped on landing after mercing up (*massively* - I think I had maybe 20 loans after first Ottoman war). Also, develop your gold provinces and get more. You need the money to merc up as your manpower will be crap for a long time.

Ducksforcup

Jan 5, 2006
Irvine, California
You can see the ideas on the first screenshot. I'd probably choose some things differently now but it worked well enough I guess (and with the later patches they made it possible to name ideas, I'd so name the tech discount Kleptocracy and the morale one Alcoholism!).

As for Prestor - vassalization of all other Copts would be ideal (due to the offensive war ally restrictions in 1.13). Then if Mamluks are in a war or you just feel stronger, go for Egypt ASAP (and expand into Arabian peninsula and south towards the gold during truces) - you want to steal as much as possible before the Ottomans. I had a bit of luck as I took Jerusalem and Alexandria but left Mamluks a strip of land that blocked a full land Ottoman invasion, so they were landing only 15-ish stacks that I wiped on landing after mercing up (*massively* - I think I had maybe 20 loans after first Ottoman war). Also, develop your gold provinces and get more. You need the money to merc up as your manpower will be crap for a long time.

Last two games I've taken quantity. I HATE taking that idea, but the manpower issues are just so extreme lol.

I think you are right that speed is key.

And kleptocracy lol. What a great term.

Ducksforcup

Jan 5, 2006
Irvine, California

England is doing well on the Continent. Looks like you are involved in some big war with the Swiss?

Holy moly the Turks in your game are absolutely killing it. Going to be hard to beat them.

Interesting setup to be sure. And go Ryazan/Perm! Ryazan especially has formed quite the empire there.

On a purely random note, I love your steam name lol. GINYUUUUUUUUUU

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->