The Europa Universalis IV Thread

Ducksforcup

Jan 5, 2006
Irvine, California
Maybe it's because I overplayed Civ, but I could build an insurmountable advantage within 100 turns every game. In general, most of the options available to you in Civ are mistakes and once you understand the mechanics the game is very linear.

Multiplayer added a bit to it, but simultaneous turns are broken, and waiting for others to take turns is excruciatingly boring.

Once I discovered EU4 it basically killed my interest in both Civ and Total war. I also much prefer the paradox model of constantly making new content for DLCs as opposed the Civ model of stripping features from previous versions on release then re-adding them as paid DLC. Every major patch on EUIV is like playing a whole new game.

On the CK2 front I'm not a big fan of all the background family stuff, so I could never get into it.

I concur with you about CK2. Seems like a fun game, but I just can't get into the whole family dynamic. I suppose that's why CK2 and EU4 are separate games.

I completely agree about the new DLC's and I totally don't mind paying for each one. I find myself always skeptical about the changes, but after a week or two I end up loving them. I was super skeptical about the new fort system for example.

I do agree with crowi that the new free patch should have added development. That's a pretty major feature and in the past, Paradox has made sure to make those features part of free updates. (Btw I was talking about Civ Five, I thought Civ Four was a much better effort).

Going to try "Krabeater" tonight as Ragusa! So excited. I could get it easily with Hungary via cheese methods, but I prefer the challenge of Ragusa. Always had a soft spot for them.

Last edited:

StrictlyCommercial

Oct 28, 2006
Vancouver
I concur with you about CK2. Seems like a fun game, but I just can't get into the whole family dynamic. I suppose that's why CK2 and EU4 are separate games.

I completely agree about the new DLC's and I totally don't mind paying for each one. I find myself always skeptical about the changes, but after a week or two I end up loving them. I was super skeptical about the new fort system for example.

I do agree with crowi that the new free patch should have added development. That's a pretty major feature and in the past, Paradox has made sure to make those features part of free updates. (Btw I was talking about Civ Five, I thought Civ Four was a much better effort).

Going to try "Krabeater" tonight as Ragusa! So excited. I could get it easily with Hungary via cheese methods, but I prepare the challenge of Ragusa. Always had a soft spot for them.

Day 1 of Common Sense I got absolutely crushed in the first couple games because I kept getting my armies stuck and couldn't reinforce properly. Once I figured it out I liked the change though. Also agree they probably should have made the development part free dlc as it is essential to the game now. Luckily I have a job now, so I just pour my money on the paradox fire.

May 27, 2012
Earth
I play with the extended timeline mod and reduces annexation coring costs mod. When do you think I should have Japan United? Yesterday was my fastest game yet.

Ducksforcup

Jan 5, 2006
Irvine, California
I play with the extended timeline mod and reduces annexation coring costs mod. When do you think I should have Japan United? Yesterday was my fastest game yet.

Reduced coring cost? Like how much is it reduced by?

Haven't played a Japanese islands game myself, but I think it is a little easier if you start out as Japan.

Also, was able to get the "Krabater" achievement yesterday. Did it on my first play-through as Ragusa. I even managed to grab the island of Venice during this game. Super proud of myself. I thought I was done when Austria took some of the Croat territories, but then they got involved in a desultory war and that was that. :popcorn: They also did the unthinkable and allied with France...France was also invovled in this desultory war and they refused to get involved in my little itty bitty invasion of Austria. In other words, I was really lucky. I was also extremely fortunate the Ottomans never attacked me. Helped that I pretty much had a diplomat in the Ottoman Empire the entire game lol.

11224100_10153610625617269_6285378326505334170_n.jpg

Last edited:

Ducksforcup

Jan 5, 2006
Irvine, California
I admit to buying all EU4/CK2 DLCs on sight. Can't say I regret it though.

Besides, this has to be the best soundtrack for crushing England ever :yo:

During a sale, I literally bought like every single unit pack and aesthetic DLC for EU4. It was a beautiful day. :laugh:

G, G, and S is an amazing addition to the game. It makes it feel so epic (along with the main theme "The Voyage).

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
I'm tempted in getting it as I like these type of games but the maps confuse the hell out of me. I've watched videos and they keep changing.

Ducksforcup

Jan 5, 2006
Irvine, California
I'm tempted in getting it as I like these type of games but the maps confuse the hell out of me. I've watched videos and they keep changing.

The map does change rather regularly. Mostly the changes have been in the non-European sphere to make those countries more playable/historically accurate. The map contains many more provinces and countries now than even two years ago.

Also, their are many, many map modes (Terrain, Diplomatic, Political Etc) that show you those particular aspects on the map. Each one utilizes different colors, so perhaps these are the changes you are referring to? :)

Give the game a try. It is a complex game, but one that is incredibly rewarding once the requisite skills have been learned. if you have any questions, just feel free to ask the community here or go on the Eu4 Wiki (which is very good).

Last edited:

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
The map does change rather regularly. Mostly the changes have been in the non-European sphere to make those countries more playable/historically accurate. The map contains many more provinces and countries now than even two years ago.

Also, their are many, many map modes (Terrain, Diplomatic, Political Etc) that show you those particular aspects on the map. Each one utilizes different colors, so perhaps these are the changes you are referring to? :)

Give the game a try. It is a complex game, but one that is incredibly rewarding once the requisite skills have been learned. if you have any questions, just feel free to ask the community here or go on the Eu4 Wiki (which is very good).

Do you know if there are any steam sales coming up? It's currently £34.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
Is anyone able to look at the Paradox website and tell me how much they're selling it for with the latest DLC. I'm confused by the website.

Ser Jorah Mormont

Lord Friendzone
Sep 3, 2013
Down Under
Who is in agreement that we should make this thread a mega paradox games thread?

I don't know, I feel there should be other threads for the other games, at least for CK2 which is the other popular game. Don't think Victoria or Hearts of Iron will generate much activity though they're both a great series of games.

Ducksforcup

Jan 5, 2006
Irvine, California
Who is in agreement that we should make this thread a mega paradox games thread?

I'm totally fine with that. I'm an EU4 guy myself, but I totally respect games like CK2 for what they are.

Been trying for "Arabian Coffee" the past couple days as Oman. The fact that they start as the only Ibadi country in the game was not ideal. :laugh:

The Persians ended up allying with the Turks and then attacking me which was pretty much GG. I'll have to try it again soon.

And man incredible "This is Persia" run! Well done. So basically you expanded east so you could take on the Turks? Just looking at that map you took an incredible amount of territory...that's awesome lol.

MadArcand

Whaletarded
Dec 19, 2006
Seat of the Empire
And man incredible "This is Persia" run! Well done. So basically you expanded east so you could take on the Turks? Just looking at that map you took an incredible amount of territory...that's awesome lol.
Au the contraire. I started as Timmies, and expanded west until I got the achievement. I focused on Ottoderps hard and smashed them before they could even conquer AQ. I got lucky that they initially focused on Balkans (they gobbled up everything up to Hungarian border) while I conquered QQ.

And with the achievement in hand, I decided to unite Islam and wipe Russia off the map (I usually like to do that if the opportunity presents itself), but I failed at the latter as they survived in Philippines and Taiwan...

Last edited:
May 27, 2012
Earth
Au the contraire. I started as Timmies, and expanded west until I got the achievement. I focused on Ottoderps hard and smashed them before they could even conquer AQ. I got lucky that they initially focused on Balkans (they gobbled up everything up to Hungarian border) while I conquered QQ.

And with the achievement in hand, I decided to unite Islam and wipe Russia off the map (I usually like to do that if the opportunity presents itself), but I failed at the latter as they survived in Philippines and Taiwan...

I like the 2nd picture. Interesting that Novgorod was around.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad