The Europa Universalis IV Thread

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
I finished my first full CoC game up yesterday. I was done with it in about 1680. Got the new Mamluk achievement, formed Arabia and got Arabian coffee. Didn't really have anything else to do.

Now I'm trying for Jihad given playing in Arabia is much more interesting. We'll see how it goes.

Ottomans do seem a bit easier to deal with now. They can still blob pretty easily if you don't take the fight to them however. I've actually found that they seem to really push hard into Hungary early on, though maybe that's just a coincidence since I've only started a few new games with the expansion.

I'm doing a game as Moravia(starting as Bohemia, releasing Moravia as a vassal), where I started a war with Ottomans with France and Russia as my allies. Turns out, I didn't even need my allies. I wiped out a 42k stack by myself in the first battle and absolutely stomped the rest of their armies en route to 99% war score.

One thing I have noticed in my current game, and I'm not sure if this was just some one time thing or if it's indicative of a bug, is that my allies will sometimes just not move their armies for any reason.
For example, this happened to France, and it lasted for about 40 years before their armies went back to normal. They would start a war, and then just stick their entire army in some out of the way province and not fight. At one point they had nationalist rebels spawn, and despite their army outnumbering the rebels 3-1, they still wouldn't fight them or even siege any rebel occupied provinces. Then one day, after about 40-50 years of this nonsense it was as if they just flipped a switch and went back to normal. I thought maybe they had a cowardly ruler but this was not the case, and they actually went through several rulers during this time.

Also, I'm really loving the army professionalism thing.

Were you the war leader? They've changed it so secondary participants will not ask for military access. The war leader has to do it themselves. I ran into this with my Mamluk game, I was allied to Spain, but Spain wouldn't move their Spanish troops. Naples did, but I had military access through a couple countries. Until my navy knocked out the Ottomans, Spanish troops remained in Spain (after that, they used transports).

bigdirty

Mar 11, 2010
Were you the war leader? They've changed it so secondary participants will not ask for military access. The war leader has to do it themselves. I ran into this with my Mamluk game, I was allied to Spain, but Spain wouldn't move their Spanish troops. Naples did, but I had military access through a couple countries. Until my navy knocked out the Ottomans, Spanish troops remained in Spain (after that, they used transports).

Several occasions it was France who started the wars, but they won't even move their armies within their own territory. For instance, they attacked Burgundy, and then allowed Burgundy to siege quite a few provinces without even trying to stop them, before I came in to save the day. I've also watched them allow nationalist rebels to gain independence because they won't even move their armies to take back occupied territory.

Also, has anyone else noticed Russia taking a really long time to start annexing their vassals? In my current game it's mid 1600s and they've only just now annexed Perm, though they haven't even started annexing any of the others.

Last edited:

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
Several occasions it was France who started the wars, but they won't even move their armies within their own territory. For instance, they attacked Burgundy, and then allowed Burgundy to siege quite a few provinces without even trying to stop them, before I came in to save the day. I've also watched them allow nationalist rebels to gain independence because they won't even move their armies to take back occupied territory.

Also, has anyone else noticed Russia taking a really long time to start annexing their vassals? In my current game it's mid 1600s and they've only just now annexed Perm, though they haven't even started annexing any of the others.

Interesting. Probably just a weird bug that will be fixed in one of the first patches.

The vassal thing is definitely a bug, and it's known. The game director of EU4 (Jake Leiper, aka "DDRJake") is also a YouTube streamer and the bug happened to him in his first stream of CoC, as it quite hilariously allowed him to survive annexation as Hisn Kayfa. It'll definitely be fixed soon.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
I have never been sure if I would like this type of game, but after sinking many hours in Stellaris I think I can get into this game. Got some steam gift cards for Xmas and the game is now on sale during the winter sale so I'll be picking it up. But they have many different packages for DLC and whatnot. So my question is which DLC is like a must have, which should I pass on? The complete bundle is still 128 canadian, I'd rather not spend that much, particularly since I don't know how much I'll like the game.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Well I got no help here so I just bought the "Empire pack" which seemed the most recommended online. Includes game, "Art of War", "Common Sense", "Right of Man", and "Women in History" DLC.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
Well I got no help here so I just bought the "Empire pack" which seemed the most recommended online. Includes game, "Art of War", "Common Sense", "Right of Man", and "Women in History" DLC.

Missed it, I would have said buy the complete bundle (because that is an amazing deal), but those are a good start. If you really like the game I’d try to wait until the Summer sale to buy everything again.

May 27, 2012
Earth
bumping this thread.

I'm doing a game of Venice and it's not 1500 yet and the Ottomans declared war on me, and I was allied with France, Austria, Poland(PU over Lithuania) and Parma. All but France joined the war. I was also a member of the HRE so Austria called in Hungary and Saxony.

So it was Venice, Austria, Poland, Lithuania, Hungary, Moldavia, Saxony, and Parma vs The Ottomans. we were getting tossed around like rag dolls. We were losing, but I think we could have turned it around. Then....Muscovy joined the war on the side of the Ottomans. RIP.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E

That definitely is a good batch. I think cradle and the Russian expansion came recommend as well, but I am not sure. I currently have everything before the Ming expansion (don’t have internet to download it right now).

I feel like fans of one Paradox game will enjoy their others. If you like history at all, EU4 should grab you even more.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
bumping this thread.

I'm doing a game of Venice and it's not 1500 yet and the Ottomans declared war on me, and I was allied with France, Austria, Poland(PU over Lithuania) and Parma. All but France joined the war. I was also a member of the HRE so Austria called in Hungary and Saxony.

So it was Venice, Austria, Poland, Lithuania, Hungary, Moldavia, Saxony, and Parma vs The Ottomans. we were getting tossed around like rag dolls. We were losing, but I think we could have turned it around. Then....Muscovy joined the war on the side of the Ottomans. RIP.

Trick for Ottoman wars is to avoid their armies. You can beat them with a 1/4th of the army as long as you avoid running into the big stacks. Even if you outnumber them with allies, they're one nation and their coordination will be better than you. Eventually you'll get a white peace, which is helpful because it delays Ottoman expansion. Though it's rather crazy you couldn't beat them with that, I've seen AI Venice and only Austria (along with their trade league members) beat the Ottomans.

May 27, 2012
Earth
Trick for Ottoman wars is to avoid their armies. You can beat them with a 1/4th of the army as long as you avoid running into the big stacks. Even if you outnumber them with allies, they're one nation and their coordination will be better than you. Eventually you'll get a white peace, which is helpful because it delays Ottoman expansion. Though it's rather crazy you couldn't beat them with that, I've seen AI Venice and only Austria (along with their trade league members) beat the Ottomans.

My allies were getting into bad fights and kept getting routed. I tried to help when I could because they were maniacs.

I honestly thought we would win too, but I guess not lol.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
My allies were getting into bad fights and kept getting routed. I tried to help when I could because they were maniacs.

I honestly thought we would win too, but I guess not lol.

Yeah at that point you've just got to stay away from the Ottomans and wait till your allies get knocked out (hopefully doing enough damage to the Ottomans in the process). It's really good if the Ottomans chose a non-fortified province as the war goal, because it means you can just flip it with a quick snipe and win the war, perhaps even with some concessions if you managed to take a fort in the Levant.

Ducksforcup

Jan 5, 2006
Irvine, California
So glad peeps are still playing this game. I just pushed out several achievements. The new Florence as Egypt one, the Naples great power one, and recently the one where the Hungarians have to conquer the Austrian lands.

Absolutism is such an amazing mechanic. Pretty much mandatory for late game expansion (For the discipline and increased administrative efficiency).

Last edited:

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
So glad peeps are still playing this game. I just pushed out several achievements. The new Florence as Egypt one, the Naples great power one, and recently the one where the Hungarians have to conquer the Austrian lands.

Absolutism is such an amazing mechanic. Pretty much mandatory for late game expansion (For the discipline and increased administrative efficiency).

Games going pretty strong. More people are playing it today than on release back in 2013.

May 27, 2012
Earth
What are your guys hardest achievements from the global achievements on Steam? Obviously some of us aren't beasts, but mine is Abu Bakr II's Ambition. With 0.4% of the player base getting it.

I'm still not a great player, but I'm not awful. I still need to get Master of India haha.

I want to try The Navigator.
"As Portugal, get owned provinces in Africa, India and Indonesia before 1500."

May 27, 2012
Earth
Well, I got The Navigator. I was extremely lucky lol. I needed to colonize Diego Garcia just under the Maldives. I would wait until the colony finishes and then I would attack the Maldives. When I saw the Maldives, they were owned by Vijayanagar. I was about to give up since I wouldn't have been able to do it since it 1496 at this point. In a desperate attempt I declared war on Korchin to try and get a Indian province. My army was stacked wiped and my navy destroyed. I was about to give up when I decided to keep going and let it go. Lo and behold I got the "Cede Goa to Portugal Event". Immediately accepted and got the achievement. Was a roller coaster of emotions.

What made it great was that Diego Garcia is considered East Indies/Indonesia.

The Head Crusher

Re-retired
Jan 3, 2008
Edmonton
I was never able to get the hang of this game without console commands (the economy part always destroyed me). Last game I played I started as Rwanda and conquered most of south/central Africa, set up colonies in Brazil (Brwanzil), Atlantic Canada (Rwanada) and British Colombia (Rwalberta).

Last edited:
May 27, 2012
Earth
I was never able to get the hang of this game without console commands (the economy part always destroyed me). Last game I played I started as Rwanda and conquered most of south/central Africa, set up colonies in Brazil (Brwanda), Atlantic Canada (Rwanada) and British Colombia (Rwalberta).
Yeah, the game takes some time to understand. I'm almost at 1100 hours and there is still things I'm trying to get better at.

Ducksforcup

Jan 5, 2006
Irvine, California
What are your guys hardest achievements from the global achievements on Steam? Obviously some of us aren't beasts, but mine is Abu Bakr II's Ambition. With 0.4% of the player base getting it.

I'm still not a great player, but I'm not awful. I still need to get Master of India haha.

Congrats on getting those two achievements! Those seem like fun ones.

My best achievements are probably "Great Khan" (Recreate the Mongol Empire) and Terra Mariana (Conquer Most of the Baltics as Riga). Super, super fun games took multiple attempts. Great Khan was an exhausting achievement I needed a big break from the game after that.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I was never able to get the hang of this game without console commands (the economy part always destroyed me). Last game I played I started as Rwanda and conquered most of south/central Africa, set up colonies in Brazil (Brwanzil), Atlantic Canada (Rwanada) and British Colombia (Rwalberta).

African games are not very easy. Your first few campaigns as you learn the game usually go much easier if you start in Western Europe or the Ottomans.

The Head Crusher

Re-retired
Jan 3, 2008
Edmonton
African games are not very easy. Your first few campaigns as you learn the game usually go much easier if you start in Western Europe or the Ottomans.

I went into the game knowing I was going to abuse the console commands. I just wanted to try someplace different. I was also using the mod Balanced Countries. It broke up all the countries in the world regions that were 2 or 3 territories big at most.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol

I got four tied, all 0.2%:
Voltaire's Nightmare: Have at Least 75 countries in the HRE
Back in Control: Form Yuan and be the only country holding land in China
The Prince of Egypt: Starting as Florence, form Egypt
It's All Greek to Me: Form Greece, and have cores on Zeta, Thatta, Lamba, and Roh.

Though none of these are what I considered to be my hardest achievement. That's probably Lazarus (0.3%), which requires you to own the entire Balkans as Serbia. I got "It's All Greek to Me" in that run as well, as I culture shifted than formed Greece.

I have Navigator and honestly, I don't know if it was luck but I got it on my first try. You rush Cape Verde, then grab provinces from the Cape until Diego Garcia (which give you range for Indonesia). You get Goa as an event which is just a matter of waiting for it to fire for the India component.

All of those are considered "hard" or easier achievements. The only achievements I have that are labeled as harder than "Hard" by the game are Basileus, which requires you to form the Roman Empire as Byzantium and honestly it's not that hard as long as you can beat the Ottomans, and "This is Persia" (own Egypt, Anatolia and Greece as core provinces as Persia), which isn't that hard either.

E: Actually, I forgot "Shahanshah", which is also labeled as VH and got much harder with Cradle, because you had to form it as Ardabil which is an OPM in one of the most dangerous regions in the game. Before you could do it with a country that while not easy did not have many neighbours. I got it as Ardabil, and subsequently got "This is Persia."

It took me a long time too. I probably didn't get the economy until 100-200 hours in. Once you understand trade (and it's kind of convoluted), everything falls through.

Best way to force yourself to learn skills is to play Ironman. You can still savescum if needed (ctl+alt+delete out of the game and load one of the old saves).

Last edited:

bigdirty

Mar 11, 2010
I never even realized you could check out stats on achievements like that.

Apparently only 0.2% have gotten the Great Moravia achievement, which was probably one of my favourite achievements, in part because I got to paint in a nice gold colour.

5BE8C2B330E2333F7E07D65636B3783B7CDBEB26

I really enjoy starting off from a disadvantage, in this case, it was starting as a vassal of Bohemia and having to break free before I can even think about expanding. That was a little difficult after Bohemia allied with Ottomans early on.

12ozPapa

Make space for The Papa
Feb 13, 2012
I have greatly enjoyed the Civ games, Total War, etc. Is this a game worth checking out if those are my interests?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->