The Europa Universalis IV Thread

bigdirty

Mar 11, 2010
I thought about doing BBB, but I don't think I'll be able to do it. I think I'll attempt to form Andalusia instead.

After finally getting a successful Byzantium game(destroying the Papacy is so satisfying), I'm thinking about trying this next. Either that or I might try for the 'From Humble Origins' achievement, since I've actually never tried a custom nation.

And one of these days I might actually try a country that doesn't start the game at a huge disadvantage. Maybe.

MadArcand

Whaletarded
Dec 19, 2006
Seat of the Empire
Funny that you mention From Humble Origins, just finished that one last week.

pirates.jpg

bigdirty

Mar 11, 2010
I just started my Humble Origins game, and I suspect it's going to end up looking a lot like yours, since I began with three provinces in Ireland. Took over Ireland and Scotland a lot faster than I was expecting, now just waiting for a chance to attack England.

And is that Russia that colonized Newfoundland in your game?

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
I'm super jealous those are some sexy borders well done. I really want to try this now. Were you constantly at war and how was the beginning...difficult?

Not constantly at war till 1740, 1750, then I was at war for basically the rest of the game. Run didn't start as a Roman Empire one.

Beginning was difficult but I best-CB'd Tunis after beating back the Ottomans which gave me places to expand. Just needed a few lucky bounces. Was actually probably my smoothest Byzantium run ever. No restarts.

MadArcand

Whaletarded
Dec 19, 2006
Seat of the Empire
I just started my Humble Origins game, and I suspect it's going to end up looking a lot like yours, since I began with three provinces in Ireland. Took over Ireland and Scotland a lot faster than I was expecting, now just waiting for a chance to attack England.

And is that Russia that colonized Newfoundland in your game?
It's Canada, or rather what I couldn't siege down in time of it.

I started on Bahamas and wanted the New World. Killing England was just a matter of principle. :laugh:

bigdirty

Mar 11, 2010
Ended up doing a Bohemia game again. Not really sure what to do next with it though.
I pretty much expanded until the League war started, then I led the Protestant side to victory and became the new Emperor.

I was thinking about try to pass all the imperial reforms, since I've never even tried to do that before, but it is just getting so tedious.
I've converted all the member states to Protestant(except Austria, but I'm chipping away at them with constant wars), I have as many Free Cities as I can, but all the smaller HRE nations are constantly annexing each other, so I basically spend all my time going to war to release HRE countries. But even with all that, I'm lucky if I can get .05 imperial authority increase each month. So I'm starting to wonder if it's worth the effort or if I should shift my focus to something else.

Here's where I'm at currently:

5A5C79EE51DAD77C559FDEDE41185BCF703FC669

I'm allied with Russia and Scandinavia, plus three of the HRE electors(can't remember which ones).

Ottomans just thoroughly beat me and Russia, so I'd like to steer clear of them for a while. The other problem nation is Spain, as they've just got a PU over Burgundy. On the list of Great Powers, nobody even comes close to Spain.
Oh, and I also took exploration as a 4th idea group since nobody had touched North America at the time.

I might try to push south into Italy, or maybe just go nuts and try to take down Spain. Still can't decide if I want to keep trying to pass reforms or just start annexing all the little HRE countries for myself.

bigdirty

Mar 11, 2010
Finally passed the final reform. For the most part I stuck to internal HRE stuff to try and get the imperial authority I needed, rather than just conquering everything. Kinda weird I know, but I just wanted to do something different. I know the borders aren't overly impressive, but I'm pretty happy with it, considering that when I started the game, I was actually planning to try playing tall as Bohemia, rather than expand constantly.

CD9E8180DE58E4AA0525B98B36E843519B03D987

Oh, and I also got into the strangest war shortly before this screenshot. Through the entire game, I had been allied with Russia. I had their trust up to 100, and we were the best of friends. Then one day, I get Liege(who only controlled a single province) in a PU. And Russia attacks me in a succession war. Just like that, an alliance that stood for 300 years is gone over a single province. Russia had been lagging behind in military tech, so the war was more of a massacre. I ended up taking 19 provinces from them. So, not exactly the smartest move by Russia.

I've actually got 25 years left on this playthrough, but I'm getting a little bored of the non-stop conquering for the sake of conquering, so I want to try something new. Anyone have a suggestion for a good country to try playing tall with? (Other than Netherlands since I've done that a lot).

May 27, 2012
Earth
Finally passed the final reform. For the most part I stuck to internal HRE stuff to try and get the imperial authority I needed, rather than just conquering everything. Kinda weird I know, but I just wanted to do something different. I know the borders aren't overly impressive, but I'm pretty happy with it, considering that when I started the game, I was actually planning to try playing tall as Bohemia, rather than expand constantly.

CD9E8180DE58E4AA0525B98B36E843519B03D987

Oh, and I also got into the strangest war shortly before this screenshot. Through the entire game, I had been allied with Russia. I had their trust up to 100, and we were the best of friends. Then one day, I get Liege(who only controlled a single province) in a PU. And Russia attacks me in a succession war. Just like that, an alliance that stood for 300 years is gone over a single province. Russia had been lagging behind in military tech, so the war was more of a massacre. I ended up taking 19 provinces from them. So, not exactly the smartest move by Russia.

I've actually got 25 years left on this playthrough, but I'm getting a little bored of the non-stop conquering for the sake of conquering, so I want to try something new. Anyone have a suggestion for a good country to try playing tall with? (Other than Netherlands since I've done that a lot).

Start as a horde and form America. Play as America and get the horde government event changing your government type from Duchy/Kingdom to Horde.

May 27, 2012
Earth
I started a game as Serbia and was on the verge of taking out the Ottomans. Then everything collapsed.

I had almost the entire Balkans up until the borders with Hungary and except the bottom part under Albania in Greece. At this point my allies were Spain, Austria and Hungary. Hungary broke our alliance because they wanted one of my provinces. I had a coalition of Muslim nations against me. The Mamluks and coalition declared war on me and Spain abandoned me. It was just Austria and I. Austria was in a war already so they were focused in their other war and I got crushed.

I was forced to released Bulgaria, Albania, Montenegro and Croatia. I vassalised Montenegro and Albania. Retook whatever Bulgarian lands were left after Poland took a bunch of them. Croatia was conquered by Hungary. I annexed Montenegro and Alabania. One again, my country was united. Poland declared war on me and my final ally, Austria, abandoned me.

The end.

MadArcand

Whaletarded
Dec 19, 2006
Seat of the Empire
I played a test game where I expanded basically only by PUing random countries and inheriting them. Pretty hilarious.

pus.jpg

Granted, some sacrifices had to be made:

there_has_been_blood.jpg

bigdirty

Mar 11, 2010
Anyone tried the new DLC yet? I probably won't have a chance to try it for a few more days at least, just curious what people think of it.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
Anyone tried the new DLC yet? I probably won't have a chance to try it for a few more days at least, just curious what people think of it.

It's not getting the greatest feedback on Paradox forums so far but that's probably because it's a regional DLC and not introducing any major features (ages isn't too groundbreaking). Asia needed an update so if you play that area I'd get it.

I haven't really had a chance to play it yet because Stellaris expansion came out the same time and it's been longer since I played Stellaris.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Parts of this fan base always seem to get disappointed when their neck of the woods doesn't get a lot of attention (always always the guys who only play in Europe).

Haven't loaded it up yet, but all the updates for Asia sound good to me and I'm looking forward to a few Asian campaigns.

One thing I'm seeing a lot is the changes from the newest patch has made Ming extremely overpowered. They removed their 50% autonomy, and the Mingplosion doesn't seem to happen anymore.

Definitely seen plenty of games where Ming goes out of control.

That said some people seem to be having a lot of fun taking on the Ming juggernaut as either Japan or the northern tribes. Guess Korean blobbing is a thing of the past in this version too.

Last edited:
May 27, 2012
Earth
I played a game in Japan. I started as a daimyo and took me quite a awhile to unite Japan. Cathoclism never gained a foothold in my country, although I still don't have that achievement for converting to Christianity as a daimyo.

bigdirty

Mar 11, 2010
I love playing as Manchu and I love playing as an extreme underdog. Can't wait.

I didn't bother checking the reactions on the Paradox forums because people there seem to hate everything.

Ducksforcup

Jan 5, 2006
Irvine, California
Liking the new update. Ming China is now actually relevant and VERY strong. Probably too strong, but I think it's much better than before. The tributary system is very well done. In my current Tibet game, I vassalized Afghanistan (which was also at war with Persia). Ming China (who held me as a tributary) interepreted this as Persian aggression and proceeded to annihilate them. It was amazing.

The new "Age____" bonuses are a nice touch too. Give you additional goals.

Overall, Paradox continues to make this game relevant with wonderful updates such as this one.

Belamorte

Feed Your Head
Nov 14, 2003
North American Scum
Ok, I have been playing a lot of CK2 lately and now want a change. What do I need to know to get started? I have all the DLC (just not some sound and troop pacts). So coming from CK2 I feel I should have a bit of an idea but I loaded it up and it looks so daunting. Just some basic tips to get rolling and I can figure the rest on the way I suppose?

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
Ok, I have been playing a lot of CK2 lately and now want a change. What do I need to know to get started? I have all the DLC (just not some sound and troop pacts). So coming from CK2 I feel I should have a bit of an idea but I loaded it up and it looks so daunting. Just some basic tips to get rolling and I can figure the rest on the way I suppose?

Have you ever played EU4 before? It's going to be tough. CK2 and EU4 are really different. I went from EU4 to CK2 and it was a long learning curve. It's hard to know where to start to suggest anything.

Maybe watch a few let's plays and see how they start off. I'd recommend someone like DDRJake, Arumba, or Quill18. I'd pick Jake, but his early stuff involves him exploiting the game big time (probably why they hired him lol). His newer stuff like his Manipur or Nitra playthrough's would be better for learning.

I love playing as Manchu and I love playing as an extreme underdog. Can't wait.

I didn't bother checking the reactions on the Paradox forums because people there seem to hate everything.

I don't know, I don't think they hate everything. There's quite a few overcritical people but that's true of everywhere. Forums can be really constructive sometimes. After M&M came out for CK2, the feedback in general was pretty constructive, and 2-3 weeks later Paradox released a patch that addressed much of the criticism and suggestions. From DDRJake and Trin Tragula's comments on MoH so far, it sounds like it's going to be the same for MoH.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Ming is basically unkillable right now. Some of the situations they get into are humorous.

It is a good expansion. Just needs some patching to balance things out. Asia has become a lot more interesting.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
Ming is basically unkillable right now. Some of the situations they get into are humorous.

It is a good expansion. Just needs some patching to balance things out. Asia has become a lot more interesting.

Ming is killable you just have to be careful. With so many troops they either cluster them and get ****ed by attrition, or they split them up. Before the Hungary patch that made Ming die a little harder, I did a Japan game and took their 300,000 troops down with ~95,000 Japanese. If they were clustering and let them drink thousands of deaths monthly in attrition, I retreated to the Korean mountains, and if they split up, a stack wiped them.

First MoH game post-Hungary update was a Mongolia to Yuan playthrough. Went great first, but I made the mistake of taking the Mandate too early and my country collapsed. Was fun forming them.

Second game had nothing to do with Asia, but I decided to play super tall. I haven't played the Netherlands since before Dutch Republic mechanics were added, so I did that. Goal of the playthrough was to become the #1 great power and to not take any land in Europe outside the Low Countries (additionally not to have any vassals in Europe). Accomplished this by ~1650 or so. Tried to roleplay a historic Netherlands that was very successful colonizing. I took all of the Malacca and Molucca trade node, which I forgot how insanely rich that makes you. By 1700, I had a trade income of almost 300 (175 in English Channel, 125 in Malacca). It's kind of hilarious when you only have three regions (Netherlands, Flanders, Wallonia) and the dev in those regions is like 700.

Probably one of the easier runs I've trade, but fun none the less. I have so much money and such a high force limit (because of Orangist modifier) but relatively low manpower, that almost all my infantry overseas is mercenaries. Still making 70-80 ducats a month despite almost 100 mercenary infantry (and no ideas to reduce mercenary cost!). Now got to do something else fun that isn't so easy. Was thinking a Madagascar merchant republic that either goes Sunni or Coptic.

MadArcand

Whaletarded
Dec 19, 2006
Seat of the Empire
Ming is beyond OP in player hands. I did a world conquest by early 1700s... as passive-aggressive tall Ming that only conquered a handful of provinces throughout the whole game. But when a mere glare suffices for 99% of countries to submit and the likes of Ottoderps require just one crushing to see that resistance is futile, why even conquer land? Especially if you're raking in ~400 MPs from tributes per year and your ideas cost like 200 MP. I never had so many 50+ development provinces from all the insane amounts of MP I poured into them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->