The English Lower League thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
I really thought Griffin Park was getting torn down for a bottling plant, but nevermind after today.

It almost was. Brentford are lucky they didn't finish the job. That would've been one of the more illustrious disasters we've seen in some time. It still could've been worse had they messed the whole thing up but still

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
You never know in the Championship but that quick response leads me to believe there won’t be a comeback

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Cardiff needs a major spark. Cannot see them getting 2 goals back with the way Fulham is controlling everything

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Cardiff had a decent chance in the 94th minute but really for about the final 10-15 mins they lacked any ideas

West London derby promotion final, Wembley, August 4. Interestingly the teams are only about 5 miles apart

Reactions: Howe Elbows 9

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Cardiff had a decent chance in the 94th minute but really for about the final 10-15 mins they lacked any ideas

West London derby promotion final, Wembley, August 4. Interestingly the teams are only about 5 miles apart
They did have one more good chance and the ball just wouldn't go in but yeah that 94th minute was it. I would've loved to see this game go on longer but I think Fulham's pace would've eventually won the whole thing over before it even got to penalties.

My money was on Fulham but deep down wanted Swansea. We'll see if it holds up. This is gonna be a good final

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Harrogate Town promoted to the football league beating Notts County in the Conference final, first time ever at that level. Saw their squad and Jon Stead is still playing for them, he had some moderate success in the EPL like 15 years ago

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
Harrogate Town promoted to the football league beating Notts County in the Conference final, first time ever at that level. Saw their squad and Jon Stead is still playing for them, he had some moderate success in the EPL like 15 years ago
The manager is apparently the son of club's chairman.

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
ha - had no idea Jon Stead was still at it. Remember him with Blackburn.

I can assure you I've never heard of Harrogate Town

Stray Wasp

May 5, 2009
South east London
I can assure you I've never heard of Harrogate Town

And with good reason - they had never even played as high as the Conference until 2018.

It bears mention that Harrogate is that rare thing, a northern spa town - a place where, a couple of hundred years ago, the wealthier classes would visit for a spell of repose. Later, it became a place where elderly folk who'd done well retired to and that less prosperous pensioners would visit by coach for day trips. It's an area that apparently commands some of the highest property prices in the country.

In other words, Harrogate is markedly different from the former industrial towns and cities of Yorkshire where football initially flourished. Whether this club will be able to sustain themselves at league level with success comparable to their counterparts from the larger southern spa town of Cheltenham will be intriguing to see.

Reactions: PanniniClaus
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad