The English Lower League thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
This was the first full game I have ever seen from Sessegnon so I´m not going to pass much of a judgement. C. Ronaldo was just crap in a CL final - it happens, but boy has Sessegnon a lot to learn. I guess he shows his talent before the goal - great awareness and a brilliantly weighted pass (few young players are capable of making that pass with such an ease). But he also showed a lack of understanding on how to get involved in the game. I don´t know how many times he just killed the space in front of him by timing his runs wrongly. He reminded me of Lennon - an absolute master in the art of destroying space for himself.

I am not a big fan of huge fees for teenagers. I remember when Spurs were chasing Wright-Phillips (even if he wasn´t a teenager). He was the player we needed at that time. We ended up with Lennon for 1/24 of the price - and we got the better player. Renato Sanches was the guy - I rather have Dele Alli (these examples are obviously heavily influenced by confirmation bias - point is that development is very very uncertain - you just don´t get good value for money on average with the most sought after talents). That doesn´t mean you can´t occasionally buy big, even older expensive players fail of course, but I can understand Levy being hesitant if we are talking 40m+. Of course RS might very well become world class - not going to say he couldn´t based on one full game.

And I am a "pragmatic". I would pay a lot for de Ligt.

Still pleased if we get him. And I don´t think Fulham getting promoted changes things too much. If he is bought he should probably be loaned back to them anyway (again - only one full match - so that is more a gut feeling than any proper analysis from my side).

Stray Wasp

May 5, 2009
South east London
This was the first full game I have ever seen from Sessegnon so I´m not going to pass much of a judgement. C. Ronaldo was just crap in a CL final - it happens, but boy has Sessegnon a lot to learn. I guess he shows his talent before the goal - great awareness and a brilliantly weighted pass (few young players are capable of making that pass with such an ease). But he also showed a lack of understanding on how to get involved in the game. I don´t know how many times he just killed the space in front of him by timing his runs wrongly. He reminded me of Lennon - an absolute master in the art of destroying space for himself.

I've seen Sessegnon for one more full game than you have. So I, too, am restricted by a small sample size. Yet it strikes me that movement and awareness is something you don't have to see a lot of games to be able to form a judgement about- after all, while fluctuating form can effect execution, that doesn't effect a player's perception of space. For what it's worth, I concur with your comments regarding his contribution off the ball.

Much as I like his control at speed, his contribution to the goal was the only example I've seen of him playing like an all-round footballer as opposed to a mere winger. And if he's to live up to the hype, I'd suggest he needs to prove himself capable to being a wide forward rather than simply a running-fast-in-a-straight-line merchant.

Given his age, these are concerns rather than a definitive dismissal of his abilities. I'd endorse the view that he'd be best off remaining at Fulham next season, whether as the property of that club or a loanee from elsewhere.

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Rotherham beat Shrewsbury in ET to win the League 1 playoff; meaning all three teams relegated from the Championship last season make a swift return

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
Potentially more people at the League Two play-off final than the Champions League one. Pretty incredible.

Fulham

Jan 6, 2015
Watch for Fulham to finish comfortably mid table next season, Ryan Sess will undoubtedly stay, and sign a new bumper contact, id imagine with a nice release clause, as he will outgrow Fulham quickly in the prem. His movement is a strength, most of his goals this season are due to timing, and positioning himself for a tap in. although he was over eager in the final with his runs.

Our owner is looking at making a big splash(like his pending purchase of Wembley) so id expect for quite a big expenditure, to supplement retaining our key players and loanees.

Tim Ream is easily POTY(with sess) and a prem Quality CB if paired with a more physical CB

Reactions: sabremike

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Coventry City easily win the League 2 playoff final and they return to League 1 after one season. The Football League is all finished and here's who went up and down

PREMIER LEAGUE
- West Brom, Stoke City, Swansea City
+ Wolves, Cardiff City, Fulham

CHAMPIONSHIP
- Sunderland, Burton Albion, Barnsley
+ Wigan Athletic, Blackburn Rovers, Rotherham United

LEAGUE ONE
- Bury, MK Dons, Northampton Town, Oldham Athletic
+ Accrington Stanley, Luton Town, Wycombe Wanderers, Coventry City

LEAGUE TWO
- Chesterfield, Barnet
+ Macclesfield Town, Tranmere Rovers

Reactions: koyvoo

Stray Wasp

May 5, 2009
South east London
Aston Villa seem to be feeling the full effects of their failure to achieve promotion: their chief executive has been suspended, amid claims HMRC is about to hit them with a winding-up order because of an unpaid £4 million tax bill.

Aston Villa miss £4m tax bill deadline as chief executive is suspended

In some ways, this is very funny and could scarcely have happened to more deserving people.

In some ways, it's dismal.

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
Aston Villa seem to be feeling the full effects of their failure to achieve promotion: their chief executive has been suspended, amid claims HMRC is about to hit them with a winding-up order because of an unpaid £4 million tax bill.

Aston Villa miss £4m tax bill deadline as chief executive is suspended

In some ways, this is very funny and could scarcely have happened to more deserving people.

In some ways, it's dismal.
Why? Villa is a historic club and their fans don’t deserve this.

JWK

Report Spam @JWK on Twitter Plz
Mar 27, 2010
Graham Potter vs. Marcelo Bielsa has delivered so far

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Not a great start for McClaren at QPR, 4 straight losses and conceded 13 goals in those games. Stoke also with a poor start, still winless and were beaten badly at home to Wigan today

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
Middlesbrough must have one of the tallest back four (or five) this season, or ever even. In yesterday's game against Leeds: Flint, Ayala, Shotton, Fry all over 190 cm and full back Friend being the shortest at 188 cm.

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
After a slow start back to back wins for QPR; Boro lose their first match of the season while Leeds stay unbeaten and top of the table with surprising Brentford in 2nd. Ipswich Town still without a win, fans were begging the club to move on from Mick McCarthy but despite the bad football might have been foolish to do, still early

Portsmouth top of League 1 and already have a 5 point gap on 3rd place Barnsley, though in these lower leagues that can change quickly but we might finally see the return of Pompey to at least the 2nd tier.

GabeTravels

ME > MN > GA
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2011
Marietta, GA
Pompey had a really solid transfer window. The team looks determined and focused. 6 wins and 2 draws is a fantastic start to the season.

Would love to see them go up again!

Reactions: N o o d l e s

N o o d l e s

Jul 17, 2010
South Shore
After a slow start back to back wins for QPR; Boro lose their first match of the season while Leeds stay unbeaten and top of the table with surprising Brentford in 2nd. Ipswich Town still without a win, fans were begging the club to move on from Mick McCarthy but despite the bad football might have been foolish to do, still early

Portsmouth top of League 1 and already have a 5 point gap on 3rd place Barnsley, though in these lower leagues that can change quickly but we might finally see the return of Pompey to at least the 2nd tier.

Big missed opportunity for Sheffield United. I know Bristol is a tough out at Ashton Gate, but all of the other results lined up perfectly for them to be tied a top the table with a gritty road win. Regardless, I’m still encouraged despite a so-so transfer window.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Middlesbrough must have one of the tallest back four (or five) this season, or ever even. In yesterday's game against Leeds: Flint, Ayala, Shotton, Fry all over 190 cm and full back Friend being the shortest at 188 cm.
Tony Pulis Things

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->