The End of an Era: First Lecavalier, and now St. Louis

Hawkeye37

Feb 26, 2014
That's one way to look at it, but today is also the dawn of a new era. This is Stammer's team now, and the future is bright. Nobody wants to talk about it, but as great as Marty and Vinny were, and as much as they meant to this franchise, they were just too old to play much of a role in the long-term future of this team.

Obviously Marty is still playing at a high level, but some really tough decisions were going to have to be made when his contract was up after next season. Now that isn't a concern anymore.

Salo, Brewer and Malone are now the only guys on this team who are over 30-years-old. Stamkos doesn't have to play in anyone's shadow anymore, and it's exciting to think about what he can do as the undisputed face of the franchise.

There will be a time in the future to reflect and celebrate the legacies of Marty and Vinny, but that time is somewhere down the road, just not right now. Those two are still active players in the league, they're opponents just like every other NHL player who doesn't wear the bolt.

As sad as yesterday was, today is a day for celebration. The future starts now.

Kramerica Industries

Mar 21, 2013
Tampa, FL
Vinny was a victim of a bad contract from an old regime, as well as a decaying body. It hurts me in some ways that he can never stay healthy anymore. He was a phenomenal player at his peak.

St. Louis is a little different. Could've handled this much better. At the same rate, the more I think about this, the more it might allow the Lightning as an organization to now plan out their succession plan without still being dependent on a 38-soon-to-be 39 year old winger. I won't go into depth here about that; not the appropriate venue, but I will say that I hope at some point in the not-too-distant future, the ugliness of this is put behind us and we can celebrate Marty for what he did in Tampa for so many years. It would help if the Lightning still reach the playoffs and have a good run, and the Rangers reach the ECF so that the Lightning end up with two 1st's in the next two years.

TB-NYR Conference Final? Greatest thing ever.

FinnLightning26

Death and no taxes
Sep 16, 2007
Lapland
That's one way to look at it, but today is also the dawn of a new era. This is Stammer's team now, and the future is bright. Nobody wants to talk about it, but as great as Marty and Vinny were, and as much as they meant to this franchise, they were just too old to play much of a role in the long-term future of this team.

Obviously Marty is still playing at a high level, but some really tough decisions were going to have to be made when his contract was up after next season. Now that isn't a concern anymore.

Salo, Brewer and Malone are now the only guys on this team who are over 30-years-old. Stamkos doesn't have to play in anyone's shadow anymore, and it's exciting to think about what he can do as the undisputed face of the franchise.

There will be a time in the future to reflect and celebrate the legacies of Marty and Vinny, but that time is somewhere down the road, just not right now. Those two are still active players in the league, they're opponents just like every other NHL player who doesn't wear the bolt.

Well said. Exciting times coming for a Lightning fan. Hopefully Stammer can take us to the promised land and I don't see a reason why he couldn't. A star player to build around who also has a great personality and work ethic.

Kramerica Industries

Mar 21, 2013
Tampa, FL

Post more.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ

Nicely said.

You could cut up the history of the lightning into different parts. Vinny and Marty certainly share a long and very important piece of that. Starting today, we mark a beginning of a new chapter lead by Stammer. This was going to be his team one day, it just happened a little faster than we might have expected.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
This new era looks promising and it's, if nothing else, far better structured. We have a reasonable vision of what the team will look like in 2-3 years, and I think we all agree it looks good.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
I'll say this - I'm more fond of Vinny now than I am of Marty, and that's after a lot of the anger left. Anyway - Stamkos' team now. Lead us to the promised land, Stammer.

Off Center

Jun 9, 2009
vinny and marty were 2 larger-than-life names that sort of masked (to the rest of the league) what a wealth of young talented players we have assembled in the SFY era.

i think we will look back on this and appreciate the timing for the franchise of these departures. stammer and victor hedman are certainly ready for the spotlight but without #4 and #26 being the focal point for so long they might have been dealing with the vinny-esque pressures of carrying a franchise before they were of legal drinking age, instead of developing their game as both clearly have over the years.

and to boot, we have freed up $15 million of salary commited to guys on the wrong side of 30 (or 35), while keeping productive thanks to well rounded young players parachuting in from syracuse, the college ranks, and waivers. this is going to be a different experience for us fans who have watched the lightning chase the star-powered model for over a decade.

ThunderAlleyNomad

Aug 24, 2009

There is absolutely nothing else that needs to be said. Well done.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I wonder if Marty St. Louis' disgruntled attitude towards Tampa had a lot to do with the unceremonious dumping of Lecavalier to buyout? In a way the Lightning are lucky, because otherwise your team would have been a semi retirement home to those two in a few years time, which would have been awkward as the team tried to move forward with a youth movement.

Maria

Sep 15, 2004
Well Vinny left in much better terms, I haven't seen any traitor jerseys yet :laugh:

Obviously two different situations, I think and hope that Vinny comes back here after he retires and works with the team in some capacity,I don't see Marty doing that, or even being welcomed back.

It will take time at least for me to think of Marty in a positive light, but I do thank him for all he did for the team.

BOLTMAN

Jun 29, 2011
Anyone missing this guy?

Vincent Lecavalier PHI

ranked now at 204th in scoring

games 50

goals 14

assists 12

points 26

plus/minus (-14)

ok he is missing maybe 13 games so you could pro rate a little.

or you could take it as is because why would anyone think he would play a full season.

I'm trilled that we are moving forward and even though we would be a better team down the stretch with marty, this year, we still would not have won the cup this year. So looking at the glass half full I would say we are better off moving forward without these last two captains.

CarpeNoctem

Chilling w The Chief
Oct 29, 2013
In The Night
It felt more like we betrayed Vinny, because we kind of had to do so then Marty stabbed us in the back. End of an era, dawn of a new era.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
I don't think you can call giving Vinny 40 million dollars in a lump sum as "betraying" him. ****, I'd be so lucky to be betrayed in such a way.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad