The End of an Era: Burke exudes class to the bitter end

WeWantACup

Oct 15, 2011
Toronto
www.wewantacup.com
Though the time of Brian Burke’s firing has come and gone, I felt it was appropriate to have one final piece on the GM and his departure from the post he held for 4 years. Brian Burke’s exit interview was, in a sense, a microcosm of his time here; lots of metaphors, some excellent points were made, an overtone of respect, class and understanding were present and the future seen as hazy.

http://www.wewantacup.com/headlines/1158--the-end-of-an-era-exudes-class-to-the-bitter-end

brian-burke%203.jpg

Last edited:

ForzaItalia

Mar 23, 2008
Toronto, ON
Though the time of Brian Burke’s firing has come and gone, I felt it was appropriate to have one final piece on the GM and his departure from the post he held for 4 years. Brian Burke’s exit interview was, in a sense, a microcosm of his time here; lots of metaphors, some excellent points were made, an overtone of respect, class and understanding were present and the future seen as hazy.

http://www.wewantacup.com/headlines/1158--the-end-of-an-era-burke-exudes-class-to-the-bitter-end

brian-burke%203.jpg

If anything, his exit interview showed us why he got the boot.

Reactions: JadedLeaf

daveleaf

#FIREKEEFE #MIGHTBETIMETOFIRESHANNYTOO
Mar 23, 2010
Canada
I'm not sure what this statement of exuding class comes from. If anything Burke has been as far from that as reality will allow.

For the record I am glad he is gone. Don't let the door slam you in the *** on the way out.

Reactions: JadedLeaf

8dm13

Dec 22, 2012
I'm not sure what this statement of exuding class comes from. If anything Burke has been as far from that as reality will allow.

For the record I am glad he is gone. Don't let the door slam you in the *** on the way out.

Naturally opinions are going to be split on this one. The firing was a surprise, timing wise, whether you wanted it or not. As I stated, Burke showed his many sides, but he certainly had class to stand up there and answer question after question on a tough situation that was still very fresh. I don't recall many GMs, or any, doing an "exit interview" like that. His off-ice commitments, and his ability to persevere through unimaginable personal issues are admirable, to say the least.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I'm not sure how he was exuding class when he was trashing Steve Simmons and saying "it's not my problem anymore" to all hockey related questions. Not that he wasn't justified to act that way and say those things, but it certainly wasn't "classy" if you mean elegant, dignified, respectful, etc.

The Apologist

Apologizing for Leaf garbage since 1979
Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
I'm not sure how he was exuding class when he was trashing Steve Simmons and saying "it's not my problem anymore" to all hockey related questions. Not that he wasn't justified to act that way and say those things, but it certainly wasn't "classy" if you mean elegant, dignified, respectful, etc.

He coulda **** all over mlSE, but he didn't. That's classy.

satyr9

Sep 20, 2009
Why does this site let every tom, dick, and tard with a blog pimp for hits in their own thread whenever they like?

I made it through the unbearable first 'graph before giving up.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
If anything, his exit interview showed us why he got the boot.

Oh come on. Thinking back at that exit interview I thought that was pretty classy when his answer to the Leaf goalie situation was something like. Not my problem, I don't care.

Only out done by the comment made toward Simmons. Yep all class.

ForzaItalia

Mar 23, 2008
Toronto, ON

He still did but in a subtle way. Saying you can be as obnoxious as you want when you win and that maybe his "brand" might be liked more elsewhere.

Brand? Are you a soft drink? Perhaps a smartphone?

Burke became a caricature of himself when he got to Toronto. He loved the spotlight and then fought the media when he had it.

Spare me with the "class" crap.

Mansfield

possession obsession
Apr 4, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Why does this site let every tom, dick, and tard with a blog pimp for hits in their own thread whenever they like?

I made it through the unbearable first 'graph before giving up.

cause they pay for hfboards, i learned the hard way that if you complain about it you'll just get an infraction

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
LMAO, I think he was bitter about his new position as well. Now that part definitely wasn't classy.

Kaphis

Oct 7, 2008
Definitely not "classy"

He was fired for exactly that and it was on full display on stage.

To have a press conference like that when you are still an employee of MLSE is a joke. It was purely for himself, to try and make sure he stays in the GM game. Smart owners should see right through that.

A new CBA isn't even hot off the press yet and he is saying he "won't change"?

The classy thing to do would have not been there at all. "If you can't say it nice, then don't say it at all". But who are we kidding, its burke. He would take any opportunity to say anything.

skating101

Apr 19, 2012
Whole truth will come out just give it sometime for things to cool off.. very poor timing by the Leaf brass

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

Well it would be slander and defamation if he came out and just started saying things overtly, not that he didn't take jabs at the organization.

He's still technically employed by the organization but was talking about it not being his problem, etc.

I don't really recall a lot of GMs getting the ax and still being able to have a press conference.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad